The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Buy/Sell section

f8orbust

Like the new B&S section, but any chance you can tweak the CSS line-height variable (or equivalent) - letters on consecutive lines are touching/overlapping (e.g. when y is above f) - which makes it look a tad odd (tested in FF 25.0, Safari 6.1).

Thanks for all the hard work BTW.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would like to see the FS post to the top(effectively the same as bumping) when the FS item has NEW ASKING PRICE, like someone does quite often (you know who).
Hey if you bought at the correct price I would not have to lower it. Lol

V

Vivek

There is an unfortunate bit of wording on that page which is on my to-do list to repair.
The login link is at the top.
When you log-in to the getdpi forum, you effective have logged on to wordpress as well.
-bob
Yup! Works just fine! thanks! :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Like the new B&S section, but any chance you can tweak the CSS line-height variable (or equivalent) - letters on consecutive lines are touching/overlapping (e.g. when y is above f) - which makes it look a tad odd (tested in FF 25.0, Safari 6.1).

Thanks for all the hard work BTW.

Jim
done, and thanks for the suggestion.
-bob

f8orbust

Thanks Bob.

I guess I only have a couple of other things to mention.

AWPCP has the option of enabling HTML in the user's post - any chance you could you do this so that we can underline, bolden and embed links without showing the URL ?

And, secondly - bumping. I don't think AWPCP has this functionality - which is a shame - especially once you start charging for ad's. There's not much worse than coming back to your ad 4hrs later and finding it on Page x (where x>1), with no way to get it back up the ranking. It does have a 'Featured Ads' module which might be useful for sellers of big ticket items, who are prepared to pay a bit extra to keep the ad on the front page...

Obviously no one like's excessive bumping, but something like the FM or APUG B&S forums (fora?) where you can bump after a set time (24hr, 48hr etc.) would be great.

Maybe if the user dropped the price AWPCP could bump the ad - that would be a great way to entice buyers as well - two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Jim

stephengilbert

"Maybe if the user dropped the price AWPCP could bump the ad - that would be a great way to entice buyers as well - two birds with one stone, so to speak."

+1

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bob,

Any way for the Browse Ads link to open automatically a new TAB so navigation in GETDPI is not disrupted...keeping both open.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

Any way for the Browse Ads link to open automatically a new TAB so navigation in GETDPI is not disrupted...keeping both open.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob,
It depends on the browser you are using.
Safari, for example has a preferences item which will open a link in a new tab when you click a link while holding the command key. I think they all have a similar feature.
Some folks want it in a new window, some in a new tab, and some just want to go there.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
still unsure how to bump my ad...
" The ad bumps when it is renewed.
-bob"

is there some "renewal" process?

Don Libby

-bob"

It might not be too bad while the ad is free however when we renew once we have to pay for the ad does that mean we pay for the renewal as well?

Sparky16

-bob"

Not sure exactly how to "RENEW", but looks like ads can be RENEWed after initial 30 day period. may or may not have to pay again, it is FREE for the time being.

Steve

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ads will expire at the end of the term. At that point they are eligible to be renewed.
Renewal will be based on the same fee as the original term for an extension for an equivalent time.
Bumping was an very large pain from a moderation point of view as folks would sometimes "bump" several times per day. Moderators sent more messages about too-frequent bumping than any other issue.
From what I can see about ad responses, the position on the list is actually not that important. It is the deal, the description, and the photos that seem to matter most.
-bob

Sparky16

From what I can see about ad responses, the position on the list is actually not that important. It is the deal, the description, and the photos that seem to matter most.
-bob

I totally agree with this statement. If priced right (attractive) at FIRST place, it will sell. When I sell an item I really want to sell, I want it gone now rather than later

Sparky16

Have I missed the thread where we know what we'll be paying?

Quote below is from the announcement on Oct 11th.
There will be no fee for first 60 days or so...looks like we'll see the charges beginning Jan 1st, 2014.

First, we will upload a new buy and sell system that will be free initially so that users and moderators may get the hang of it. Once the gremlins are ironed out in perhaps 60 days, we will begin a modest charge for each Buy and Sell forum post. Again, since you will be paying a small fee for each ad posted, you will be able to list any item you wish, and post as many ads at one time as you wish.

-bob

Don Libby

I caught that. My question is more for planning purposes next year. How much will this "modest charge" be and is there a sliding scale or one size fits all.