Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The New Buy/Sell section

Post Thanks / Like

The New Buy/Sell section

Hi Bob and mods,

I saw this sub-section and thought I'd kick it off it that is ok, by asking about the new buy/sell section and how will be be able to pay GetDPI to post ads?
    Will paypal be an accepted form of payment?

Thanks

Cheers

Tim
    PS: move this if you think its in the wrong place.
    Last edited by Tim; 30th October 2013 at 17:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The New Buy/Sell section

Hi Tim,

First off, this is the right spot for questions like this one, thanks for using it. And yes, PayPal will be the normal payment method. However the forum is going to remain free for at least a few months while we sort out whatever warts we encounter.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

A little quiet in the new B&S. One suggestion: can we open up replies to the ads? That created a lot of interest and dialogue, and allowed people to ask relevant questions about the ads

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    A little quiet in the new B&S. One suggestion: can we open up replies to the ads? That created a lot of interest and dialogue, and allowed people to ask relevant questions about the ads
    There is actually quite a lot of activity and I can see that several items have already sold.
    You may ask questions of the seller by simply responding to the ad.
    That will send an email to the originator and then you may converse privately about the potential purchase.
    The comments on the ads led to all sorts of moderation issues, excessive bumping, complaints by and about folks who were acting as price police.
    Sure, the new forum is a "no-drama" zone, but that is actually a good thing.
    -bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply bob. Trying it out as you can see Not sure if the old 3 item rule still applies, if so I'll take one off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the reply bob. Trying it out as you can see Not sure if the old 3 item rule still applies, if so I'll take one off.
    Post what you want,
    that rule no longer applies.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it out with an ad a couple of days ago and, frankly, I don't like it. It went from 2nd (or maybe 1st) on my list of favorite B&S forums straight to the bottom - and that doesn't even take into consideration that it going to a fee structure

I can see it was likely patterned after the L-Camera forum, with no interaction available. I admit I am not a fan of that site, but I think this one is even harder to use with the inability to edit an ad without signing on again with ad-unique credentials/edit key!! I have never encountered that one and I can see no value in it. I think you miss an opportunity to add a lot of value for sellers and buyers by removing the replies. Interaction is very valuable in a community like this. Now I have no idea of the general interest in my ad - or if I have missed something in my description, over-priced it, etc. I usually found the ad threads to be fun and informative, and rarely contentious (even when the community enforced site norms - like advertising used items as new).

Hopefully, you will take a step back and look at the implementation and reconsider - you can still turn ads into income without destroying what was unique about this community. Now it is about as interesting as reading craigslist.

(I would recommend checking out fredmiranda.com as an excellent example of a successful fee-based B&S site that integrates well with the site community)

Thanks - please take my comments in the constructive spirit they are intended.

Post Thanks / Like

I had that feeling at FIRST but then I actually like the elegance of it. I think this site is fundamentally different from FM because the fanbase is different meaning less churn.

Stupid question to Bob: I get email saying someone responded to my ad, but then it's not in my PM box. Is there a new link to where I could access these responses? Probably I missed something obvious

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had that feeling at FIRST but then I actually like the elegance of it. I think this site is fundamentally different from FM because the fanbase is different meaning less churn.

Stupid question to Bob: I get email saying someone responded to my ad, but then it's not in my PM box. Is there a new link to where I could access these responses? Probably I missed something obvious
    Responses are emailed to your address of record.The response is contained in that email.
    The PM system is not used for ad responses. Buyer and seller can communicate directly by email once the response has been received.

-bob

Post Thanks / Like

AH! makes sense now. thanks!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually like the e-mail since you can communicate far better than PM when your on the road with only your cell phone. Its really not that easy to respond via PM on a cell phone. I much prefer the e-mail myself. I actually got one this morning and it was much better this way. Also with e-mail if you want to ad images of product its easier as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Changes to new classifieds section:

Improved Search
    Now when you search for an ad, you have the capability to select just certain brands, so a Leica user now can filter for only ads that the OP has categorized as Leica.
    If you think that additional brands are required, please let me know and I will ad popular ones.

You also have the ability for searching the whole text and title of ads for any phrase you wish.
    Search criteria include poster, price range and country. So if you want to only look at, say Guy Mancuso's ads it is easy to do. Country is a little rough since I didn't have the forethought to restrict choices, so be warned, you may need to try different spellings. Fixing this is on my to-do list.

Ad Ratings
    We have added the ability to comment on ads sort of indirectly. Moderation of comments placed on ads has been a real problem for us in the past. Folks got hurt feelings, the price police were a common issue, and in general it detracted from the message contained in the ad itself. Now, you can express your opinion about an ad by clicking on the rating stars located above each ad. The ad will display the average of all ratings received.
    So if you think that it is a really good deal, go ahead and click five stars, and if you think that it is terrible click one. If nobody has rated an ad it will have no stars displayed.

User Ad Editing
    We have added the capability of editing your ads without the use of the edit key. We have not yet styled this page to match the rest of the site since I thought it best to provide the capability quickly due to user feedback. You must be logged on through the forum to be able to edit your ad.

RSS Feeds
    RSS feeds are enabled, so if you have any RSS reader you can keep a constant tab on what is happening in the classifieds section. Some readers even offer on-screen alerts so you can get spammed all day long LOL

I hope that these changes will improve the user experience.
    thanks
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 7th November 2013 at 09:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bobs been busy. Nice work too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I actually like the e-mail since you can communicate far better than PM when your on the road with only your cell phone. Its really not that easy to respond via PM on a cell phone. I much prefer the e-mail myself. I actually got one this morning and it was much better this way. Also with e-mail if you want to ad images of product its easier as well.
    One suggestion as I use it. I love the email system as well. HOWEVER I'd much love to see whether if the respondent is a senior member/new member/ or not

No way to do this unless I log back to the site and do a manual search with his user name I think. It would be so much better if that's labeled in the email. Just my 2 cents

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cannot place an ad. It says I have to be logged on. No links are showing to log on. When I go to the forum. I am logged on. System problem or PEBCAK?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I cannot place an ad. It says I have to be logged on. No links are showing to log on. When I go to the forum. I am logged on. System problem or PEBCAK?
    Carlos, As I understand it, it is a separate site. You need a wordpress account to log in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    There is an unfortunate bit of wording on that page which is on my to-do list to repair.
    The login link is at the top.
    When you log-in to the getdpi forum, you effective have logged on to wordpress as well.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

got it. thanks.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see the FS post to the top(effectively the same as bumping) when the FS item has NEW ASKING PRICE, like someone does quite often (you know who).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just placed an ad; was not able to directly add a picture which i have stored in my gallery.

suggest the ability to drop in a link to the pic rather than browse my hard drive

Post Thanks / Like

Like the new B&S section, but any chance you can tweak the CSS line-height variable (or equivalent) - letters on consecutive lines are touching/overlapping (e.g. when y is above f) - which makes it look a tad odd (tested in FF 25.0, Safari 6.1).

Thanks for all the hard work BTW.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky16 View Post
    I would like to see the FS post to the top(effectively the same as bumping) when the FS item has NEW ASKING PRICE, like someone does quite often (you know who).
    Hey if you bought at the correct price I would not have to lower it. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    There is an unfortunate bit of wording on that page which is on my to-do list to repair.
    The login link is at the top.
    When you log-in to the getdpi forum, you effective have logged on to wordpress as well.
    -bob
    Yup! Works just fine! thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Like the new B&S section, but any chance you can tweak the CSS line-height variable (or equivalent) - letters on consecutive lines are touching/overlapping (e.g. when y is above f) - which makes it look a tad odd (tested in FF 25.0, Safari 6.1).

Thanks for all the hard work BTW.

Jim
    done, and thanks for the suggestion.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob.

I guess I only have a couple of other things to mention.

AWPCP has the option of enabling HTML in the user's post - any chance you could you do this so that we can underline, bolden and embed links without showing the URL ?

And, secondly - bumping. I don't think AWPCP has this functionality - which is a shame - especially once you start charging for ad's. There's not much worse than coming back to your ad 4hrs later and finding it on Page x (where x>1), with no way to get it back up the ranking. It does have a 'Featured Ads' module which might be useful for sellers of big ticket items, who are prepared to pay a bit extra to keep the ad on the front page...

Obviously no one like's excessive bumping, but something like the FM or APUG B&S forums (fora?) where you can bump after a set time (24hr, 48hr etc.) would be great.

Maybe if the user dropped the price AWPCP could bump the ad - that would be a great way to entice buyers as well - two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Maybe if the user dropped the price AWPCP could bump the ad - that would be a great way to entice buyers as well - two birds with one stone, so to speak."

+1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its a great idea and would like it myself. We are not sure it can be done though.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

#20, above??

and anyway to bump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The ad bumps when it is renewed.
    -bob

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

Any way for the Browse Ads link to open automatically a new TAB so navigation in GETDPI is not disrupted...keeping both open.

Thanks,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Bob,

Any way for the Browse Ads link to open automatically a new TAB so navigation in GETDPI is not disrupted...keeping both open.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob,
    It depends on the browser you are using.
    Safari, for example has a preferences item which will open a link in a new tab when you click a link while holding the command key. I think they all have a similar feature.
    Some folks want it in a new window, some in a new tab, and some just want to go there.
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still unsure how to bump my ad...
    " The ad bumps when it is renewed.
    -bob"

is there some "renewal" process?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    -bob"

It might not be too bad while the ad is free however when we renew once we have to pay for the ad does that mean we pay for the renewal as well?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    -bob"

Not sure exactly how to "RENEW", but looks like ads can be RENEWed after initial 30 day period. may or may not have to pay again, it is FREE for the time being.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ads will expire at the end of the term. At that point they are eligible to be renewed.
    Renewal will be based on the same fee as the original term for an extension for an equivalent time.
    Bumping was an very large pain from a moderation point of view as folks would sometimes "bump" several times per day. Moderators sent more messages about too-frequent bumping than any other issue.
    From what I can see about ad responses, the position on the list is actually not that important. It is the deal, the description, and the photos that seem to matter most.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can see about ad responses, the position on the list is actually not that important. It is the deal, the description, and the photos that seem to matter most.
    -bob

I totally agree with this statement. If priced right (attractive) at FIRST place, it will sell. When I sell an item I really want to sell, I want it gone now rather than later

Post Thanks / Like

What happens when the term expires?
    Does the whole FS or WTB ad deleted or disappears without any trace?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Have I missed the thread where we know what we'll be paying?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Have I missed the thread where we know what we'll be paying?

Quote below is from the announcement on Oct 11th.
    There will be no fee for first 60 days or so...looks like we'll see the charges beginning Jan 1st, 2014.

First, we will upload a new buy and sell system that will be free initially so that users and moderators may get the hang of it. Once the gremlins are ironed out in perhaps 60 days, we will begin a modest charge for each Buy and Sell forum post. Again, since you will be paying a small fee for each ad posted, you will be able to list any item you wish, and post as many ads at one time as you wish.

-bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I caught that. My question is more for planning purposes next year. How much will this "modest charge" be and is there a sliding scale or one size fits all.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I caught that. My question is more for planning purposes next year. How much will this "modest charge" be and is there a sliding scale or one size fits all.
    Don,
    We don't think we will charge you more than everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pricing:
    Two week listings will be $2.50
    Four week listings will be $3.50
    Listings will be renewable at the end of their term (and will bump).
    Effective date: January 1, 2014.
    We hope that folks accept these prices cheerfully and consider them a just fee designed to offset the costs of maintaining the site.
    Thanks
    Jack, Andy, and Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

Good thing, otherwise I was going to list under either Guy or Kens name...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,
    But Ken will pay double because he knows you.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You list under my name it better be cheap because people are expecting it. LOL

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tough crowd!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beware Classifieds users...
    From time to time folks have been PMed or have received emails with roughly the following content:
    Good day....still in interested in buying this items..and i have itfor sale contact me for pic and details.....Thanks
    Best regard
    Spain
    i will need Your email address for pic and details or contact me Via [email protected] for pic and details...
    I got one from "Spain" as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I got one from "Spain" as well.
    The message makes no sense to me.
    Why would somebody want to sell the same item to a seller?
    nonetheless, feel free to let mods know about similar activity.
    We do our best to keep out the scoundrels.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    But Ken will pay double because he knows you.

Guilt by association goes both ways. If you're going to lie down with dogs, you're gonna get fleas...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just placed an ad, it only allows amounts in dollars. Any way we can add an option for pounds or Euro or yen or whatever for non US sales? So far I put a bit in the description to state that the amount is in pounds not dollars as shown.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz