The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ads with pictures, removal.

ChrisLivsey

This post:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/52713-fs-hasselblad-h4d-60-mint-2698-actuations.html

Has had the pictures taken and used in an e-bay fraudulent posting offering the same camera on the UK site.
Following my report the site has taken it down so the link I posted does not work now.

Would it not be a good idea to delete old for sale posts or at least remove the pictures if it would be useful to still see a sellers history?

I know they can pick up shots everywhere but it was disconcerting as a member to trace the shots back to the site, good as they were!!

f8orbust

After a few days it becomes impossible to edit posts on GetDPI - always found that kinda annoying - have to say I prefer the LuLa style of things where you can edit your own posts indefinitely.

I'd advise anyone posting ads to host the images remotely (e.g. dropbox) and embed the links - rather than embed images directly in the post itself. That way, when you're done with the ad, you can delete the images (e.g. on dropbox) and vBulletin will no longer be able to pull them from where they are hosted.

Watermarking your ad images is also a way to help prevent improper use.

ChrisLivsey

Good advice, I wasn't aware of the delete limitation, never gone back that far!!
Watermarking, and not in the croppable bottom corner, would be wise.