The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Message box empty? Where did they go?

tsjanik

I replied to a pm today. I checked my message box a few hours later and no messages in the inbox or sent box. There should be over 100 pm's in the inbox. Anyone else have a problem? Likely unrelated, but my laptop has recently become infected with some really obnoxious adware. Since GetDPI is one of the few sites I visit, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

Tom

V

Vivek

Message titled ". When I went there everything was wiped clean.

Merde! Merde! Merde!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
We are experiencing a database problem with pms since sometime last night.
The table seems to be missing all text prior to the time of the crash.
initial attempts to repair have failed and I am looking at more drastic measures.
thanks
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
They are toast for everyone other than the last 22 messages that have been sent.
-bob

V

Vivek

In a way it is a relief to hear that there was a database error. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well it turns out that the failure cleaned out everyone's old messages.
maybe good or bad depending on how you look at it, but the backups we had were not effective at restoring them.
So everyone gets to start fresh.
A new backup technique has been implemented to permet recovery in the future, in addition, the forum has had several upgrades over the last few days to improve its security and robustness.
There is more to do as my list just seems to grow LOL
-bob

Don Libby

Bob, I've been showing an unread msg for several days. Went back into the area just now and still can't fin it; must have been an older one from during the glitch. Can you see about turning it off?

segedi

Would it also be possible to clear the field that has the number of stored messages? I have 118 of 200 messages allowed, but since the in/outboxes have 0 messages, I'd like that cleaned up as well. I think it will help prevent more errors down the road with the database as well.

Knorp

Inbox contains 0 messages.
You have 52 messages stored, of a total 250 allowed. (Empty Folder)
Emptying the folder doesn't reset the message number ... :confused:

Kind regards.