The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bug report #3 - Resolved

Knorp

After clicking 'Like this post' nothing happens: no refresh so to speak.
Only after manual refresh or going out and back into the post it will show an updated 'Liked this post' count.

OSX 10.10.3 / Safari 8.05 (10600.5.17)

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Happens with win machines as well. Something to do with java script or a new feature to discourage these likes business.

The changes do not appear to have any +ve impact on me. :(

Don Libby

Same here with me using PC (SP3 Win 8 and desktop Win 7). Must refresh in order to make certain like or thanks take effect.

biglouis

Same with me win7 SP3. I click like or thanks and nothing happens. IIRC, it did work after the site change but then stopped.

LouisB

V

Vivek

It gets even more interesting. If a post is already "liked", it is easy "like" that!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As an addendum: If you click once it sometimes -- but not always -- appears that nothing happened, but it did. If you refresh your browser, it usually shows your like. It is a known issue we're sorting, but probably won't get fixed until the next full software upgrade in a couple weeks or so. (We're doing this upgrade in baby steps to mitigate the likelihood of major site crashes.)

cam

Came here to check on this... I'm frankly giving up on liking or thanking anyone because the act of doing so (and it not working) irritates me enough to stop reading posts.

So I give up.

Apologies aforehand to all those I will not like or thank, but really do.

Knorp

I can understand you're giving up on thanks&likes, but giving up on reading posts ?
Can't be that bad, can it ?

All the very best.

cam

I can understand you're giving up on thanks&likes, but giving up on reading posts ?
Can't be that bad, can it ?

All the very best.
No, no, but almost... I'm still reading, but not quite as much (which may be a good thing in itself, lol). I just get quite frustrated that I am not able to like or thank -- though, seriously, all these problems began when the option to either like or thank began, non? And then I have to think about whether I want to thank a post or I actually like it. Really? I could give a toss -- just settle for the fact that I feel positive about the post whether it is mere agreement or absolute gratitude.

Others obviously aren't bothered, but I'd rather someone give me a holler when this is all sorted.

(Oh, and please go back to just a simple like or thanks or whatnot.)

Knorp

But you can be assured that your thanks&likes get delivered !
Just refresh the page afterwards to check.
Once you see it works it's just only a minor annoyance.

Kind regards.

cam

But you can be assured that your thanks&likes get delivered !
Just refresh the page afterwards to check.
Once you see it works it's just only a minor annoyance.

Kind regards.
Ah but, you see, I am both impatient and easily annoyed :D

S

Simon

No, no, but almost... I'm still reading, but not quite as much (which may be a good thing in itself, lol). I just get quite frustrated that I am not able to like or thank -- though, seriously, all these problems began when the option to either like or thank began, non? And then I have to think about whether I want to thank a post or I actually like it. Really? I could give a toss -- just settle for the fact that I feel positive about the post whether it is mere agreement or absolute gratitude.

Others obviously aren't bothered, but I'd rather someone give me a holler when this is all sorted.

(Oh, and please go back to just a simple like or thanks or whatnot.)
On the whole 'Should I like or should I thank'. A Thank is really more when the poster has helped you in some way where as a Like is just when the post was interesting

cam

On the whole 'Should I like or should I thank'. A Thank is really more when the poster has helped you in some way where as a Like is just when the post was interesting
I often find myself being helped when I also find a post interesting -- so there's the rub :p

Thank you, though, I'll try to remember the difference.

biglouis

It is a bug though, isn't it?

Just wanted to check that it wasn't a new feature.

Not complaining I'd just be a bit surprised if this remains a problem indefinitely.

LouisB

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Simon and I have been looking at this both on this site and on the test site running vB4.
So far it appears to be an issue related to the gallery code meaning that when that is switched off, the long wait goes away.
What is actually happening is that when a like is hit, the response takes a very long time, I have seen 40 seconds or more.
unlike, however, is nearly instantaneous.
Each time either button is hit there is a post to the server that requests a database update and then the javascript running in your browser refreshes the post. That refresh is taking a very long time and folks give up waiting after a few seconds.
I hope to get this resolved soon, but as you can see, it involves more than just the likes themselves and drags in other code.
Thanks
-bob