The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

V

Vivek

I get logged out while attempting to post and or after making a post.

Knorp

No such issue here up till now, Vivek.
Still, the site does behave erratic at times ...

Kind regards.

Knorp

What happens to me after a posting is that it takes me to the top of the very first page of that thread instead of showing me my post.
Odd. Or yet another bug ?

Kind regards.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have been trying to restrict my web server restarts to early in the morning Arizona time. Unfortunately, folks in Europe are up and online. Each time the server is restarted, folks get logged off. I will try to be a bit more careful, but I do need to reboot sometime tomorrow for a security update.
Yesterday morning, I started routing the server through a caching proxy to help filter out the attacks we have ben suffering (about 3-4 thousand a day) Unfortunately that also caused folks to be logged out as the dns changes propagated. The good news is that the attacks are now down to a handful.
I apologize for working on the site on-line, but I am trying to make haste to get the site into good shape.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What happens to me after a posting is that it takes me to the top of the very first page of that thread instead of showing me my post.
Odd. Or yet another bug ?

Kind regards.
I am not looking at that level of issue until after the vB4 cutover since so much of the code will change.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yesterday afternoon was undoubtedly a quiet time on getdpi as AT&T, Comcast and Verizon DNS lookups were regularly failing (but not always)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, one can often configure an alternate public DNS server like 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8.
-bob

V

Vivek

I have been trying to restrict my web server restarts to early in the morning Arizona time. Unfortunately, folks in Europe are up and online. Each time the server is restarted, folks get logged off. I will try to be a bit more careful, but I do need to reboot sometime tomorrow for a security update.
Yesterday morning, I started routing the server through a caching proxy to help filter out the attacks we have ben suffering (about 3-4 thousand a day) Unfortunately that also caused folks to be logged out as the dns changes propagated. The good news is that the attacks are now down to a handful.
I apologize for working on the site on-line, but I am trying to make haste to get the site into good shape.
-bob
Good to know the cause. :)

V

Vivek

Hope the new twist with Capcha will pass. This is getting to be very annoying.

Don Libby

I've tried twice this morning to post and both times failed. If this keeps up I might look elsewhere...

Very annoyed right now!

This was post as a quick reply where as the 2-previous posts where all attempted under "new reply" and included an image.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I turned off some of the firewall that I think might have caused this.
I will investigate the advanced reply to see what firewall rule was being tripped.
Meanwhile we will see what shows up in the logs.
sorry about that.
-bob

Don Libby

Bob, I understand and fully support the idea of strong security. To a point. I had tried two times to contribute to a thread this morning only to reach a point where I became so annoyed and frustrated I was on the verge to giving up and visiting someplace else. We need a balanced security plan and I understand we'll get there eventually.

Don

(count this as a test post for me)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I understand and fully support the idea of strong security. To a point. I had tried two times to contribute to a thread this morning only to reach a point where I became so annoyed and frustrated I was on the verge to giving up and visiting someplace else. We need a balanced security plan and I understand we'll get there eventually.

Don

(count this as a test post for me)
Yeah, I am working on it.
So you know, we have been victimized by malicious attacks that exploited vulnerabilities in our previous configuration. At least one of these attacks badly damaged some of the database.
Perhaps I have over-reacted a bit, but I have been working at screwing down all the loose bits, patching the holes, and activating firewall policies (we didn't have one before) based on rules set by a group that collects known hacker usage patterns and country origins that we have been problematical.
One or more of those firewall rules got tripped.
To help me investigate, were you presented with a captcha screen or did it just fail?
thanks
-bob

Don Libby

On both failures I got the captcha screen and both time I entered the code then got a blank screen. Tried to refresh and lost everything.

So far since then, I've posted using "new Reply" and "Quick Reply" without having to go through the captcha screen...