Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    I get logged out while attempting to post and or after making a post.

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    No such issue here up till now, Vivek.
    Still, the site does behave erratic at times ...

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    What happens to me after a posting is that it takes me to the top of the very first page of that thread instead of showing me my post.
    Odd. Or yet another bug ?

    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

  4. #4
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    I have been trying to restrict my web server restarts to early in the morning Arizona time. Unfortunately, folks in Europe are up and online. Each time the server is restarted, folks get logged off. I will try to be a bit more careful, but I do need to reboot sometime tomorrow for a security update.
    Yesterday morning, I started routing the server through a caching proxy to help filter out the attacks we have ben suffering (about 3-4 thousand a day) Unfortunately that also caused folks to be logged out as the dns changes propagated. The good news is that the attacks are now down to a handful.
    I apologize for working on the site on-line, but I am trying to make haste to get the site into good shape.
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    What happens to me after a posting is that it takes me to the top of the very first page of that thread instead of showing me my post.
    Odd. Or yet another bug ?

    Kind regards.
    I am not looking at that level of issue until after the vB4 cutover since so much of the code will change.
    -bob

  6. #6
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Yesterday afternoon was undoubtedly a quiet time on getdpi as AT&T, Comcast and Verizon DNS lookups were regularly failing (but not always)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  7. #7
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Well, one can often configure an alternate public DNS server like 4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8.
    -bob

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I have been trying to restrict my web server restarts to early in the morning Arizona time. Unfortunately, folks in Europe are up and online. Each time the server is restarted, folks get logged off. I will try to be a bit more careful, but I do need to reboot sometime tomorrow for a security update.
    Yesterday morning, I started routing the server through a caching proxy to help filter out the attacks we have ben suffering (about 3-4 thousand a day) Unfortunately that also caused folks to be logged out as the dns changes propagated. The good news is that the attacks are now down to a handful.
    I apologize for working on the site on-line, but I am trying to make haste to get the site into good shape.
    -bob
    Good to know the cause.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Hope the new twist with Capcha will pass. This is getting to be very annoying.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    I've tried twice this morning to post and both times failed. If this keeps up I might look elsewhere...

    Very annoyed right now!


    This was post as a quick reply where as the 2-previous posts where all attempted under "new reply" and included an image.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  11. #11
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    I turned off some of the firewall that I think might have caused this.
    I will investigate the advanced reply to see what firewall rule was being tripped.
    Meanwhile we will see what shows up in the logs.
    sorry about that.
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Bob, I understand and fully support the idea of strong security. To a point. I had tried two times to contribute to a thread this morning only to reach a point where I became so annoyed and frustrated I was on the verge to giving up and visiting someplace else. We need a balanced security plan and I understand we'll get there eventually.

    Don

    (count this as a test post for me)
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  13. #13
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Bob, I understand and fully support the idea of strong security. To a point. I had tried two times to contribute to a thread this morning only to reach a point where I became so annoyed and frustrated I was on the verge to giving up and visiting someplace else. We need a balanced security plan and I understand we'll get there eventually.

    Don

    (count this as a test post for me)
    Yeah, I am working on it.
    So you know, we have been victimized by malicious attacks that exploited vulnerabilities in our previous configuration. At least one of these attacks badly damaged some of the database.
    Perhaps I have over-reacted a bit, but I have been working at screwing down all the loose bits, patching the holes, and activating firewall policies (we didn't have one before) based on rules set by a group that collects known hacker usage patterns and country origins that we have been problematical.
    One or more of those firewall rules got tripped.
    To help me investigate, were you presented with a captcha screen or did it just fail?
    thanks
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    re: Bug Report #5 - resolved (I think)

    On both failures I got the captcha screen and both time I entered the code then got a blank screen. Tried to refresh and lost everything.

    So far since then, I've posted using "new Reply" and "Quick Reply" without having to go through the captcha screen...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •