The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Annoying CAPTCHA - resolved unless you are on a black-list

AlexLF

I've been really annoyed by the CAPTCHA provided with this CloudFare crap while opening GetDPI. I'm an IT guy and I don't really understand the need behind it. What is that for?
I haven't seen any other site use it.

S

Simon

I've been really annoyed by the CAPTCHA provided with this CloudFare crap while opening GetDPI. I'm an IT guy and I don't really understand the need behind it. What is that for?
I haven't seen any other site use it.
Something about the way you are either accessing the site or something about what you are trying to post is coming across as malicious so cloudflare is doing one of the things that its designed to do and protect the site from malicious activities.

Its hard to say what that is as there are a number of reasons ranging from including text in your post that can be used for malicious purposes such as an SQL injection, uploading a file that it thinks may be malicious, having malware on your computer or your IP being on a blacklist as that IP has recently been used in malicious actions. There should be a flare id at the bottom of the page and if you post that Bob should be able to look it up and find out what kind of block you triggered which will help you track the problem down

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
All of The Russian Federation and China is subject to CAPTCHA at the moment as we had been experiencing hundreds of cracking attempts per day.
That is now down to none.
I am monitoring the source of the hacking attempts and am considering backing off the regional blocks and going to only reputation based protection.
Most of the attacks are caused by bots doing brute-force user impersonation, some are running on machines without the user's consent, they habe been successful on a few users with weak passwords.. The CAPTCHA is effective at screening out those bots.
I have had to do too much database repair to consider lightly removing these blocks, but once we have migrated to the new site and installed some other anti-spam stuff I will do so.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Regional blocks have been removed, now blocks are reputation-based.
-bob