The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

We have upgraded to vBulletin 4 Time for a fresh bug list

S

Simon

Large images have been allowed for weeks, it would be nice to go back to a size limit.

The previous layout that was just replaced was much better visually than the current upgrade. The look and feel is off, the wide bar and separation caused by with the thanks and likes takes up way to much space. It should be on the same gray space (line) as the Reply and Reply with Quote buttons. To be honest I do not get the need for both a thank and a like, one or the other or perhaps both could be removed, it works for a lot of other sites and definitely would save a lot of space.

It does look better than it did 8 hours ago. If the size of the pictures could be limited and the if the spacing between each reply on the thread could be reduced that would be nice.
It's not on the bar for reply/quote because while it fits perfectly on larger screens the smaller ones cause the bar to then wrap. I've moved it however to under the signature.

The reason for having both a thanks and a like is they actually represent different things. A like is showing an agreement with a statement wher as a thank is used when so,done has helped you with some advise (either directly or indirectly). The thank is basically there to replace the need for people to make a reply just to say thanks

J

JohnW

Just an FYI that the interface does not default to mobile style for mobile devices. I switched it manually for my phone and iPad and it's much nicer.

John

S

Simon

Just an FYI that the interface does not default to mobile style for mobile devices. I switched it manually for my phone and iPad and it's much nicer.

John
Yeah the dark version hasn't been uploaded yet so it hasn't been enabled by default at this time. Part of the reason the current mobile looks nicer is its a 'light' theme, Dark site styles almost always look worse because the nature of it being a dark theme means that all the colours have to be bolder. Its why most websites going for a white website and why apple's make MacOS largely white/light grey. Ideally from a usability POV I would have gone with a lighter theme for Desktop as well but a darker theme is better for displaying photos on

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Logged in to forum.
went to web front page
selected the x on right to clear the new article notifications
seemed to take me back to the front page but logged out
i logged back in
browser attempted to take me to a page with URL something ending ?action=dismissnotificatios (lost the link on iPad so this is from memory)
blank page in browser - nothing rendered

when I manually re entered GetDPI front page the notifications were gone as expected and I was logged in.

seakayaker

It's not on the bar for reply/quote because while it fits perfectly on larger screens the smaller ones cause the bar to then wrap. I've moved it however to under the signature.

The reason for having both a thanks and a like is they actually represent different things. A like is showing an agreement with a statement wher as a thank is used when so,done has helped you with some advise (either directly or indirectly). The thank is basically there to replace the need for people to make a reply just to say thanks
Thanks! Navigating around the site this morning and it appears to look much nicer and easier on they eyes, I do appreciate the effort!

As far as the sizing on images, is there a limit? Some members post very large images which is not an issue when working on a fast network but on others it takes a long time to open a thread. I still would like to see a limit on sizing if possible. If not, I can live with it.

Once again, thanks for all your work!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looking much better guys. Spacing looks good . I like the check mark icons. Looking on iPad right now so looks pretty good from this device

Knorp

Thanks! Navigating around the site this morning and it appears to look much nicer and easier on they eyes, I do appreciate the effort!

As far as the sizing on images, is there a limit? Some members post very large images which is not an issue when working on a fast network but on others it takes a long time to open a thread. I still would like to see a limit on sizing if possible. If not, I can live with it.

Once again, thanks for all your work!
Dan, I , for one, am in favour of limiting image sizes, but only when it's done properly.
Not the half baked solution we had previously.
Those huge files were downloaded anyway and the actual downscaling was taking place on your device !
That's just silly.

NO LIMITS !
well, sort of ... :eek:

Godfrey

The thing is with the font size is the default size is actually bigger than vBulletin3’s and the font size being used here prior to the update was still the default. The fact some people are seeing it as being smaller seems to be more an optical illusion
Simon, it's not an optical illusion when the vertical height of a capital letter goes from 11 pixels to 7. 😈

Godfrey

How do you switch to mobile style?

I prefer a light theme because my photos are tone and color balanced for a white matte, not a black surround. That's why I put a white matte on the photos I post...

... Just found the mobile switch. Gosh! The light theme and overall layout looks so much cleaner and nicer to use! Its incomeplete but... I wish you'd re-think all this dark gray stuff.

G

S

Simon

Simon, it's not an optical illusion when the vertical height of a capital letter goes from 11 pixels to 7. ��
The default font sizes on vb3 were 8, 9 and 10. The default sizes on vB4 are 9,11 and 13. And both were using the same typeface. So the font size was larger on vb4

Godfrey

The default font sizes on vb3 were 8, 9 and 10. The default sizes on vB4 are 9,11 and 13. And both were using the same typeface. So the font size was larger on vb4
Simon, it doesn't matter what the numbers are if they're rendering the fonts smaller.
I've seen this kind of thing happen many times.

Regardless, the site is working its way back to usable now, thanks to your and Bob's hard work.
Thank you for caring.

G

J

JohnW

Yes, it's coming together nicely. Thanks for all your hard work.

John

Last edited:

JMaher

As a few have stated font size is looking much better. Also as said it doesn't matter what the numbers say if the reality is different.

However the New Post page is still very hard to read quickly or even to just read at all. Too much unnecessary stuff and spacing, etc. What we used to have was far superior.

With all that said thing are certainly improving.

Thanks for all the work

rayyan

Replying to a thread..just gives me a ' quick reply '.

Too busy a format. My eyes..

p.s. the only way I found is ' quick reply '; ' Go Advanced '.

I have to ' press ' the ' Top ' icon 5/6 times before anything happened.

Tim

In a months time you will all wonder how you put up with the old format. Its what you get used to.

I bet this upgrade offers some extra security measures that we needed. ;)
Nobody wants :SPAM:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What motivated this change was:
1) we have been compromised by various attacks some of which had damaged our database and caused the loss of PMs
2) Some of the plug-ins we used were full of security holes, and development had stopped on them, so new versions were needed. The Newest versions were only available on VB4 although some different ones were available on the prior version too.
3) The style system has totally changed from VB3, which forced us to re-style using the new tools that VB4 offered.
4) Moving to VB5 (some day maybe) is a very big jump from VB3, but much better from VB4.

Besides the forum software upgrade, we have:
1) Updated the base operating system to the latest version.
2) Updated to the latest versions of Apache and PHP 5.5 BTW the prior version of forum software had many issues with current versions of PHP
3) Installed a new content delivery system that includes both caching and reputation-based screening of client ip addresses
4) distributed content world-wide to 23 points of service to improve our page load time and reduce our server load
5) added redundancy to our dns, so address translations won't fail when one provider goes down.
6) prevented root logins unless one holds the correct X.509 certificate so that hackers might be thwarted.
7) Added automatic log scanning software that blocks ip addresses that appear to be doing things we consider threatening
8) changed the structure of the databases so that backups can occur in minutes instead of hours

and a whole bunch of techie things which include changing the graphics libraries to produce better image quality.

So, Yes I am sure there are issues, but fundamentally EVERYTHING has changed.
-bob