The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

We have upgraded to vBulletin 4 Time for a fresh bug list

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The font seemed smaller in the forum lists again, the layout also seemed to have changed.

G
Which forum list?
1) http://www.getdpi.com/forum
2) new posts?
3) Activity stream? (yes those are a bit small)
4) The list of posts under your settings/subscriptions?
5) The list of threads within a forum? (maybe thread title might be bold)
thanks
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A separate thought:

Something that's always seemed a little strange to me is that the only place I can get a concise list of 'threads I'm subscribed to that have new activity on them' is in the Settings control panel. That's always what I want to see first when I look in on a forum. Second is 'new activity on the forum in general,' which the New Posts button handles.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a dedicated button on the main bar for that sort of list? I don't use much else in my Settings area all that often, and the button to get there is in a completely different part of the screen.

G
second nav bar quicklinks/subscribed threads.
-bob

Godfrey

Which forum list?
1) http://www.getdpi.com/forum
2) new posts?
3) Activity stream? (yes those are a bit small)
4) The list of posts under your settings/subscriptions?
5) The list of threads within a forum? (maybe thread title might be bold)
thanks
-bob
Main forum page - Forum button on first nav bar
Any individual forum page - click Leica button on forum page

Fonts in the message threads seem to be the same as two days ago.

That's all I've looked at this morning so far. :)

G

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Main forum page - Forum button on first nav bar
Any individual forum page - click Leica button on forum page

Fonts in the message threads seem to be the same as two days ago.

That's all I've looked at this morning so far. :)

G
Are you using a retina or other high-density display?
thanks
-bob

Godfrey

Are you using a retina or other high-density display?
thanks
-bob
no. Mac mini with Thunderbolt 27" display, native resolution ... same as I've been using forever, it seems. I haven't checked the site on the iPad today.
G

jlm

Workshop Member
seems like upgrading images to posts has changed a bit. my old method was to go to gallery, highlight image, copy image link info, go to forum, select thread, reply, select "mountain" paste link, submit.

then to do another, assuming i had come from the thread:
hit return to get back to my gallery, repeat selection. then go to new posts, etc. but now the new post option is not on the menu bar while in the gallery.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
seems like upgrading images to posts has changed a bit. my old method was to go to gallery, highlight image, copy image link info, go to forum, select thread, reply, select "mountain" paste link, submit.

then to do another, assuming i had come from the thread:
hit return to get back to my gallery, repeat selection. then go to new posts, etc. but now the new post option is not on the menu bar while in the gallery.
Select Image, copy direct link code, start post, icon with little tree picture
Paste url,
go back to gallery
get your next image link
then hit the "What's new" button to see near real-time that the new posts were where you can find your last post.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
no. Mac mini with Thunderbolt 27" display, native resolution ... same as I've been using forever, it seems. I haven't checked the site on the iPad today.
G
Jeez, those fonts look HUGE to me and I could read the old smaller versions clearly from 48 inches away on my 27 inch monitor.
But I have made the navbar and sub-nav-bar fonts larger as well as the text following the welcome message and now they look HUGER.
ALL of our fonts with few exceptions are equal to or larger than what is used on the New York Times and the BBC body copy.
-bob

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bob,

What is the max size for new images in the gallery. I haven't shared much recently because it looks crap at 1200px.

Godfrey

Jeez, those fonts look HUGE to me and I could read the old smaller versions clearly from 48 inches away on my 27 inch monitor.
But I have made the navbar and sub-nav-bar fonts larger as well as the text following the welcome message and now they look HUGER.
ALL of our fonts with few exceptions are equal to or larger than what is used on the New York Times and the BBC body copy.
-bob
If those fonts are "huge" to you, you have eyes far FAR better than mine. The capital letters on my screen, at the system defaults for Safari, are under 11 pixels vertically (measured from a screen shot in Photoshop). Here's the unedited screen shot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 11.48.07 PM.png

That's just a bit too small for comfortable reading.

G

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
QUOTE=GrahamWelland;649177]Bob,

What is the max size for new images in the gallery. I haven't shared much recently because it looks crap at 1200px.[/QUOTE]

2400 maximum edge and total file size under 2Mb, approximately 85% jpeg quality.

Direct link (browser scaled to column width) very bad for mobile users

BB code (generated thumbnail, click to open window in new browser window) Best for mobile users due to small thumbnail

M2400512 3.jpg
As an attachment which scales to 1200 for thumbnail, but displays when clicked in a lightbox which can be clicked for full size which will then scale to the browser window. This is a compromise for mobile users but would be better if I set the thumbnail width to 600px

All of these images are the same size

-bob

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
i would recommend the "New Posts" link be put on the Gallery menu bar; easier to navigate than the "What's New" content

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If those fonts are "huge" to you, you have eyes far FAR better than mine. The capital letters on my screen, at the system defaults for Safari, are under 11 pixels vertically (measured from a screen shot in Photoshop). Here's the unedited screen shot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 11.48.07 PM.png

That's just a bit too small for comfortable reading.

G
I have to admit that I use computer glasses adjusted for arm's length viewing, so everything looks very crisp on my monitor.
So my specific question, before I go through the dozens of settings for font sizes, is how do these look to you?

Thanks
-bob

Last edited:

Godfrey

What I see is this, Bob:

The top is the current GetDPI logo and tool bar by default, then what you pasted above.
I wouldn't reduce its size...

I do wear computer continuum glasses too..

G
That was a screenshot of the current site. at full size they match on my screen.
But what about my question.
Are those ok? I recently made them all larger.
I am trying to establish a reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Godfrey

That was a screenshot of the current site. at full size they match on my screen.
But what about my question.
Are those ok? I recently made them all larger.
I am trying to establish a reference.
The current sizing is fine for the logo and nav bars. :)

G