Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me?

I visit GetDPI at least once a day and always click the "New Posts" link. Lately I've been finding less and less to engage my interest here. It seems like most of the new threads are buy/sell ads or super brand-specific.

I'm not sure if I've changed or the forum has, but I've pretty much moved on to other locations, where there seems to be more interest in photography and photographs.

Personally, I think GetDPI would be enriched by a set of gear-agnostic forums by genre - street, landscape, portrait, etc.

On the other hand, it could be that GetDPI is, and always will be, simply a gear portal. That's OK, too, but just not of sufficient interest to me.

Your thoughts on this?

John
    web site | tumblr
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it just me?

I'm afraid you're observation is correct, John.
    Still, there are a couple of more generic threads two of which started earlier this year 'Artful pics of flora', 'Street images, any camera' and there is an older one 'Plaines, trains and automobiles' and there is the classic 'Slow day here'.
    There is some interest, but it's certainly not overwhelming.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you view the "Fun with XXX" threads? They seem to have reasonable activity with images over gear itself.

For whatever it's worth, we tried from the start to get folks to make it about the images -- heck, it's why we give the free gallery space! -- but it seems no matter what we did (or do), it fell (falls) back to gear. We added the "Artful Images" section, alternative forum, analog forum, LF forum and more recently the PAW thread in an effort to enhance image discussions, but gear discussions seem to drive the bulk of the activity still. To date, the most successful image related threads have been the "Fun With XYZ camera" threads. Heck, Guy and I even tried several non-gear-specific workshops making it specifically about images, and they simply did not generate the same level of attendance as the gear-specific workshops. So, all of this is a long way around saying that when no new cameras or lenses have been released in recent history, our discussion forums have always waned; by contrast, when a new camera is released, discussions increase rather dramaitcally.

We are always open to suggestions about how to increase discussion about the images themselves -- it's why we started GetDPI in the first place!.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really the bottom line is its in the members hands to create topics that are interest to them. The space , freedom and forums are here for you to use at your pleasure. We also do not actively look for new members so if you want more dialog bring in some friends. It's free

This place is what you all make it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish I had more to post... Can't seem to get a moment out with any camera at the moment!

It all comes down to everyone doing their bit - you get what you give!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for responding.

Guy, while I agree with you that the forum is what we make it, I also feel the forum structure and tone greatly contribute to its character. Gear-independent topics are relegated to what seems to me to be an aside category of "Artful Images...." I'm not sure many photographers would want their pictures to be thought of in that way. And I think the "Fun with...." convention sets an equally uninviting tone for those who take their photography seriously.

Jack, part of the issue could be that, from the beginning, much greater weight has been given to gear. Perhaps this has drawn a specific audience, which could explain why the occasional genre thread doesn't gain much traction. Who knows? But if so, maybe time and a more obvious focus on images would draw new folks and change that.

Anyway, this is not criticism. I'm just examining my own place here. I like and respect many of the members here very much. My sense is that many of them have a lot to give that is not so gear-centric, and perhaps greater attention to that fact would encourage more meaningful sharing.

John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great observation John. Maybe the most important thread of the last two years.

While I'm pretty much a silent observer here, I have noticed a big change from four years ago... most of it coming in the last two. Just my 2 cents.

Several years ago, at least three things set this group apart from the run of the mill group and made it a very rewarding place to visit.

First, congeniality. No adversarial attitudes. Everyone wanted to help others. Very few were trying to defend their choices or sell you on theirs.

Second, a balance of focus. Balance between hardware and its artful use. And the hardware focus seemed to be more "here's my experience with... lenses, formats, subjects, etc."

Third, an influx of new participants.

No judgements implied. Two years ago was neither better nor worse, just different.

Three things bother me about the change.

By far, the most concerning of these is the fading away of participants and threads that set this place apart and made it of great value.

The other two, I think, have contributed to that... 1) the argumentative nature" of some posters and 2) the high concentration of hardware centric threads that discourage the "artful use" threads.

A fix?

While you wouldn't want to eliminate people or segments, you might be able to allow us to segregate individually.

For instance, when I click on "new posts", I would like your site to allow me to pre-select the areas of search for new posts. That way I can isolate myself from the stuff of no interest and cut down on having to wade thru the BS to get to the good stuff.

Tantamount to setting aside a room in the old clubhouse for people with a more selective interest.

Make it possible for different factions to commune with their own kind.

Just a thought.

Jim
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It would seem like a good idea to have more thread centering around other themes than camera brand, but I must admit that I often forget to check out those threads myself. What I do, however, is checking out "Fun with" threads of most camera brands here. Sometimes, I get a feeling that not many do that, but choose to focus on images taken with their own brand of camera. Take the Canon thread. There are some great photos there, and hardly anybody seem to notice.

Although this is a relatively small forum, most of the participants here are good photographers with lots to give. I still enjoy this forum much more than any of the larger ones. Maybe it's time to spread some information to fellow photographers.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

I think that part of the reason that this forum has become somewhat more "gearcentric" is because the gear scene has absolutely exploded in the last few years. Everything from Leica dumping CCDs and bringing out new products to Sony's explosion into the mirror-less world. While there have always been upgrades, they seem to have come exponentially lately.

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thread Jack started has a lot of promise:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/artful-i...-have-fun.html

Just needs a little traction now
    La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm not sure if I've changed or the forum has, but I've pretty much moved on to other locations, where there seems to be more interest in photography and photographs.
    Post links to those site so that I can formulate and post an informed opinion to your query.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What doesn't quite work for me is the "Fun with XYZ" thread concept. It's still gear-centric, not image-centric. If I shoot a collection of images, like this weekend in Death Valley, I use multiple camera systems (this time Nikon D810, Lumix GM5, 6x9 cm large format, 8x10" large format, my phone). Do I post the images in multiple "Fun in..." threads? I'd rather see a "Fun in the desert" thread. Maybe I should start one.

On that topic, there is a recent "Street" thread which makes sense - except it is in the "Sony" forum!! Aaargh.

But I guess you can't run a forum like a dictatorship. I miss the old days. Not sure what old days but anyways... Cheers.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always enjoy my time here. I read many threads even if they don't interest me, the fact they are photography related causes me to read.

I find the experience level and photography here to be top notch, and I am a member of a bunch of forums.
    the HepKitty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post

On that topic, there is a recent "Street" thread which makes sense - except it is in the "Sony" forum!! Aaargh.
    That should not deter anyone from posting there. It has been clarified there.

FWIW, there is a "Nikon street" thread and sadly no fun with cats in the leic section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That should not deter anyone from posting there. It has been clarified there.

FWIW, there is a "Nikon street" thread and sadly no fun with cats in the leic section.
    Well, I'm sure what you mean - I would hesitate to post my Nikon or Lumix or large format (hehe) street photos in a Sony thread. Perhaps others don't, maybe it's just me.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lars, I am sure you can post any picture you want and there are threads for it. If there are no proper threads, for example, for cat r dog images, one can always start a thread and post in that.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

to john W:
    don't go away; your images are some of my favorites.

i agree about the gear-centric, tech-centric content, but i still find plenty of images that get my attention.

what i don't do is look at all the various gear-specific threads of images, so i probably miss quite a few; this i see as a shortcoming. i don't have a solution to suggest, but the few camera agnostic threads are a start

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually like the "Fun with XYZ" threads. I post in the Leica forum, but I stray time to time to the Sony and MF forum. By having like-minded people sharing images using similar hardware actually eliminates a lot of my-gear-is-better-than-yours comments so we can concentrate on the image content. When I feel GAS acting up, it's very easy to locate samples images since they're already categorized.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    I actually like the "Fun with XYZ" threads. I post in the Leica forum, but I stray time to time to the Sony and MF forum. By having like-minded people sharing images using similar hardware actually eliminates a lot of my-gear-is-better-than-yours comments so we can concentrate on the image content. When I feel GAS acting up, it's very easy to locate samples images since they're already categorized.

Cheers, David.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others, Hepkitty and John I am a member of other forums.
    I've been to a forum where even one of the moderators is essentially a troll. I don't visit it anymore.

I have noticed late last year a post decline here, I put it down to everyone being out making images.
    At times I do a lot of lurking as I have little to contribute but I enjoy seeing what others are getting up to.
    Due to circumstances my actual photography has taken a dip so I make up for some of it by discussion rather than practice.

I find this place mostly uplifting as generally the chat is cordial.
    I value images and posts by Jorgen, Lars, Annna T, Vivek, Barry, Jack, Guy, tashley, Jono, Mike, Ben, Godfrey, Knorp, Michiel, Matt Driscoll, Werner, raist3d, JSRockit, Ptomsu and all the other names that I forgot to mention. Please don't be offended if I didn't mention you, am forgetful.

I DO care about the camera you use. I feel this place has a good balance of user reports with proven images posted. The Fun With category is key to that. I flip through them all even if I can't afford it. Try the "Fun with MF"...

Many of us have to carefully choose what we buy, I can't afford to rampantly swap so the experiences here are invaluable. I love hearing about anything you use and if you are enthusiastic about it, tell me its problems if it has some, but don't brand bash just for the sake of it. Respect the ideas of others.

So, John please don't go. I like others have enjoyed your posts. Especially the GR ones.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same difficulty others have mentioned with the 'Fun With XYZ' threads. I appreciate camera-designated threads when something new comes out that interests me. I've found invaluable advice here about the Q and SL Leicas that I've decided not to buy, and the A7rII and RX1rII Sonys that seem to be replacing my Leica gear. And I see the sense of the gear topics when folks want to discuss the latest camera with light leaks, or the options and movements in technical cameras. But it's an odd way to organize a photographic 'library.' It would be nice if folks would routinely add a tag with the camera/lens they used, but that's not my primary approach to visual imagery.

Even when I'm thinking about equipment, I don't take web images to be very strong indictors of what the equipment might do. Taking web resolution into account, the photographer's style and vision and post-processing skills are usually greater variables than the gear.

I'll add, though, that I'm quite impressed with the quality of work posted here. That's why I've gravitated here from LUF and RFF. From the perspective of strong and inspiring photography, genres are the best organizing principle, with the gear-topics retained primarily for interesting products and technical questions, minus the 'Fun with XYZ's.'

Kirk
    Last edited by thompsonkirk; 25th January 2016 at 21:07.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Fun with ..." threads are most of what I read nowadays. Plus most of the threads that ask questions or supply information about the Leica SL and M cameras.

I have retired from the "new latest most wonderful new equipment" threads. With the Leica SL and M-P in hand, I don't need anything more and, in all honesty, I've lost interest in pursuing any further equipment and most equipment discussion too rapidly ratholes into the "this vs that" stuff that is so tedious.

I'm more interested in people showing wonderful photographs with their favorite cameras, whether they be modern ones like the ones I use, modern ones like the ones others use, or older film cameras. I'm more interested in sharing and talking about techniques to make photographs with the equipment you have.

When the conversations are all about nothing but gear, gear, gear, they become sterile and obsessed.

Reorganizing the forum around various photo categories ... Hmm. I've seen many forums organized exclusively that way. They get very few new members after a time, and generally wither away. Show photos with your favorite camera, look at photos made with cameras you like ... it seems more successful.

What else sustains a conversation? If you can think of that, post it and move on with it.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I have retired from the "new latest most wonderful new equipment" threads. With the Leica SL and M-P in hand, I don't need anything more and, in all honesty, I've lost interest in pursuing any further equipment and most equipment discussion too rapidly ratholes into the "this vs that" stuff that is so tedious.

G
    I'm also trying to pretend that I'm not interested in fantastic new gear and that all that matters to me is to make the best possible photos with my existing gear. I'm not nearly as good at pretending as Godfrey though
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'm also trying to pretend that I'm not interested in fantastic new gear and that all that matters to me is to make the best possible photos with my existing gear. I'm not nearly as good at pretending as Godfrey though...
    Thank you for the compliment. Just watch how well I can "pretend"...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Due to current circumstances, I've found now that I have evolved into another category which I've seen people do in other pursuits and that is "bang for buck" or enough camera to do the job. I have a nephew who is drives in a motocross event with a tight budget in under 1300cc and having a blast. You can get great imagery from most current cameras these days. What is remarkable is how lazy I am to carry and use anything of any weight. I specifically bought a Phone that has a Sony IMX240 sensor just to have a good phone camera.

Few of my images need super res, I can't go for large prints right now so I think I may move back to the 16-24 Mp arena for now. We just have to remember the days when the norm was 2.0 Mp and the Pro had a 8.0 Mp to appreciate what we have on offer right now.

In all honesty I just enjoy it all, ... the art, the moving image, the technique talk, gear talk the low fi to the MF stitches.

PS: I meant to include Hiredarm in the post further up. He contributes to many areas like others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In terms of pure image sharing, RFF's "W/NW Words no Words" section is pretty lively. Someone simply start a thread with a specific subject matter, then people start posting images that match it. I especially like the photo association thread.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Well, I'm sure what you mean - I would hesitate to post my Nikon or Lumix or large format (hehe) street photos in a Sony thread. Perhaps others don't, maybe it's just me.
    Sorry to rake up an old discussion, but there is a gear agnostic street image thread here

Question for the moderators:

Can we change the titles of two things:
    - Remove "Artful" from the forum "Artful Images to share, incl. NSFW"
    - Rename the sticky thread in there to "PAD - Picture a Day - Have Fun"

Maybe that will encourage people to post more there, at least that's what I'm hoping
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    In terms of pure image sharing, RFF's "W/NW Words no Words" section is pretty lively. Someone simply start a thread with a specific subject matter, then people start posting images that match it. I especially like the photo association thread.
    Following this lead, I took a look at RFF again – I hadn't been going there very often since switching from Leica bodies to Sony.

Yes, it's active. But I looked especially at the BW thread and couldn't help concluding the photography just isn't as strong there, from both sides – either technically or aesthetically.

I'm one of those who wishes we could sort out the Canon-Nikon-Sony gear threads from the display of images. I like to check up on gear for the companies/systems I own, but I don't really think of my work (or anyone else's) as 'Sony fun,' let alone broken down into Fun with 'Sony ___,' 'A7xx,' 'RX1rII,' and 'Old Lenses.' Just doesn't make sense to me.

Kirk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe that changing a thread's title isn't going to do much.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to answer so late, but I missed that thread at the time.

There is something I would like to point out: all forums are losing users, not only getdpi. Traffic is down here, but it is down everywhere else.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    Sorry to answer so late, but I missed that thread at the time.

There is something I would like to point out: all forums are losing users, not only getdpi. Traffic is down here, but it is down everywhere else.
    That is correct. There is a sea change from a short while ago.

I believe social networks (facebook and such) have attracted a lot of them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That is correct. There is a sea change from a short while ago.

I believe social networks (facebook and such) have attracted a lot of them.
    That is true. There is great bunch of great Photographers on FB and they almost never talk their gear, instead they are interested
    in subject and style.It is all about photography and it is sort of a relief.
    It is photographicly the most inspiring place to be for me at the moment.
    You can make friends with people whose photographic work is of interest to you.
    I'll almost never use FB for private small talk or funny video's.

Although it is nice and informing to talk about (new) gear, it is also very restricting in the sense that people never leave their comfort zone.
    That is the reason why I didn't notice the discussion here. You're tubed to your (little) gear department.
    It would be better to have photographic themes on top and the gear specific talk/pictures into second place, so photographers with different
    equipment can really meet. I think it is a mistake to keep people apart because of what gear they use.
    It creates different gear related fanboy war zones.

Like on FM, almost nobody is ever leaving their comfort zone.
    The Sony FE images thread is so popular that people are completely focussed on that one thread and so
    busy liking each other that one loses focus on the reality of photography itself.
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 17th June 2016 at 06:08.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel, that's an interesting observation about FB and photography. I never thought about it that way, but you're right, it's never about gear there.

I follow John Free, Mark Tucker, Bill Schwab, and Rebecca Norris Webb. Tucker can be a little political, but his photography is so good. Generally the rest post with some substance.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    That is true. There is great bunch of great Photographers on FB and they almost never talk their gear, instead they are interested

Although it is nice and informing to talk about (new) gear, it is also very restricting in the sense that people never leave their comfort zone.
    That is the reason why I didn't notice the discussion here. You're tubed to your (little) gear department.
    It would be better to have photographic themes on top and the gear specific talk/pictures into second place, so photographers with different
    equipment can really meet. I think it is a mistake to keep people apart because of what gear they use.

The Sony FE images thread is so popular that people are completely focussed on that one thread and so
    busy liking each other that one loses focus on the reality of photography itself.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with parts of it (very strongly). I am quite averse to the Mutual Appreciation Society (liking each other. one for one, literally) (MAS). MAS is a polite version of a better term that can not be typed here.

I had (trying to sell them now) all kinds of photo gear (all are for sale now) and like every kind of photography. So, I can not be put in Sony FE or Leica whatever category.

I could not care less about FB even if no photography exists without it though. No offence to anyone using that platform.

Post Thanks / Like

That is true. There is great bunch of great Photographers on FB and they almost never talk their gear, instead they are interested in subject and style. It is all about photography and it is sort of a relief.
    Not only facebook. There are quite a few blogs, online "magazines", tumblr accounts, etc... with photographic content. It is noticeably different to the photographic content one sees on forums, gear sites and flickr.

I don't have a facebook account, so I can't follow photographers on facebook, but I have a question: on facebook, aren't you supposed to run a "professional" page if you want to present yourself as a photographer? By default, personal pages are "personal", meaning one is supposed to use them primarily to link to their family and friends, I think?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not only facebook. There are quite a few blogs, online "magazines", tumblr accounts, etc... with photographic content. It is noticeably different to the photographic content one sees on forums, gear sites and flickr.

I don't have a facebook account, so I can't follow photographers on facebook, but I have a question: on facebook, aren't you supposed to run a "professional" page if you want to present yourself as a photographer? By default, personal pages are "personal", meaning one is supposed to use them primarily to link to their family and friends, I think?
    No not at all. If you only want to communicate with photographs its allright. There are other channels (as well) to communicate with family and friend without letting the whole world know what you're doing.

Post Thanks / Like

No not at all. If you only want to communicate with photographs its allright. There are other channels (as well) to communicate with family and friend without letting the whole world know what you're doing.
    Well... no, not really. Some members of my family are very much into facebook. If I get an account, I know very well that I will be expected to spend time each day to like and comment on their extensive feeds. I also know that they will then only contact me via facebook. They already complain that they have to remember my email address or phone when they need to contact me while "facebook is so much more convenient".

I also wonder about the aspect of "social validation" on facebook. Forums are quite simple: one has to prove value by posting interesting stuff. One can even be anonymous on a forum. Facebook appears to be quite different. I had an interesting discussion with an artist a few months ago. Her gallerist made it quite clear that her professional must be curated between other artists (successful ones) and followers. She cannot follow people who are not successful artists, that would not reflect positively on her work. Apparently, there is no place for amateurs in that ecosystem, except as customers of course.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How to keep up with the spam from FB?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When Jack and Guy started this forum it was partly in reaction to the increasingly trollish activity on Photo.net/Leica forum … which was a particularly nasty place then. This forum swiftly became an oasis in a troll infested landscape of photography forums.

For a good deal of time GetDpi had the distinction of being a major source (if not the major source) of Medium Format Digital experience and technical expertise … which was much needed and highly valued. The participation in the MF section was what Sony now seems to enjoy.

The point being that as technology has swiftly advanced, how to actually use some of these complex machines has grown exponentially. I think that is the source of where attention tends to gravitate here.

Personally, I like to see what folks are doing with their choice of gear across the spectrum … and have e-mail notifications on a lot of GetDpi subjects and "Fun With" threads. So, I come here most every day if even for a few minutes.

However, I do split my attention between different sites. While I like many images here, the chosen subject matter often tends not to be my cup of tea. While I do marvel at a wonderful landscape from time-to-time, it's a subject of little interest to me.

I like the art of photography and like to see what is emerging in that area, so I often visit the Burn site: http://www.burnmagazine.org … to name but one.

Since I use a Leica camera and "birds of a feather flock together", I visit the LFI Gallery and view the Master Shots: http://lfi-online.de/ceemes/de/galle...ershots/s.html … which are devoid of tech talk other than knowing it was shot with a M or S or other Leica camera/lens. Also, you don't have to contend with Leica Bashing Trolls like on other sites.

Facebook has become a source of contact with like-minded photographers … via the Public FaceBook Groups … for example, I get e-mail notifications when someone posts in the Leica Meet group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LeicaMeet/photos/ … there seems to be groups for almost anything you can think of and if not, you can start one.

I also follow photo friends on FaceBook, like my pal Irakly Shanidze: People on photos of Irakly Shanidze … https://www.facebook.com/groups/123148361098845/ … since it is all in Russian I can only enjoy the images without any commentary distracting me … LOL!

Or local photographers who have caught my attention with interesting takes on subjects I'm familiar with … like Bruce Giffin (whose "social" work I have purchased and display in my home) … https://www.facebook.com/bruce.giffin.5?fref=hovercard

I have a FaceBook site which I sparingly visit, nor for some reason do I have to contend with spam from there. It just gets me into all the group sites and discussions about art and artistic photography.

Lastly, I've move in a direction involving lighting to a much greater degree than many on this site seem to do. So, I go to lighting sites and manufacturers sites which have demonstrations and techniques.

GetDpi remains my favorite site, although it has changed … some favorite folks have wandered off which is a shame because they were/are so darned good at the art of photography.

- Marc

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For most people this is a hobby and like many Hobbies they lose interest after awhile and wander off. That's seems to be natural progression. Some get bored and myself I get tired of it sometimes and busy with family. But what bugs me is when I do these long tests and post I get very few responses as that's a clear sign folks are losing interest. I know one thing I can't carry this place so it needs people to do that. Not sure what else to say but I feel sometimes forums are becoming a slow death as social media is taking over which I honestly have zero interest in. One other issue is a lot of gear companies are really not doing much to talk about. Folks the IPhone has ruined many things
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    One other issue is a lot of gear companies are really not doing much to talk about. Folks the IPhone has ruined many things
    I'll take it a step further. Like most things in life companies either adapt, influence, or die slowly.

Regarding this site, I read and visit nearly daily even if I don't post as much as in the past. Life has just gotten busier since deciding to move slightly from the hobbyist role to the part-time pro role on the side. I still take a lot of pictures for myself. I usually don't or can't post them all since some are related to photo jobs. I still post some of my hobbyist photos from travel or my photo walks/rides and test shots in the rare cases when I get new gear. I still like the format here quite a bit. I still believe 99% of the people to be extremely friendly and optimistic - even when there are differences of opinion.

I guess it's a little weird at places such as GetDPI or Rangefinder Forums because the most popular salesoptions aren't the largest draws. We all know that MF, Sony,Nikon, Micro 4/3, Fuji, and then Canon probably get the most attention activity wise here whereas a place like Fred Miranda seems to be mostly CaNikon with Sony slowly getting more attention over the last year or so. I spent plenty of time on LUF back when I was almost exclusively Leica (that's actually how I found this place) but often times people seemed a bit too elitist if your Leica shot wasn't taken with a M or S (even if you owned one) and often times I believe cultural barriers got in the way of many people.

I dont one mind the gear talk. I don't live in a city anymore with a wide assortment of camera shops. Really there's only two. I have joined a local photo group from Facebook that has quite a few Sony shooters but I've been at the point for years that I'll shoot whatever works best for me.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

For most people this is a hobby and like many Hobbies they lose interest after awhile and wander off. That's seems to be natural progression. Some get bored and myself I get tired of it sometimes and busy with family. But what bugs me is when I do these long tests and post I get very few responses as that's a clear sign folks are losing interest. I know one thing I can't carry this place so it needs people to do that. Not sure what else to say but I feel sometimes forums are becoming a slow death as social media is taking over which I honestly have zero interest in. One other issue is a lot of gear companies are really not doing much to talk about. Folks the IPhone has ruined many things
    The decrease of activity concerns all forums, not just getdpi and even not just photo forums. All forums have seen their audience decrease in the past 10 years: hobbies, politics, health, anything. So it is not the iPhone and the stagnation in photo gear.

Part of the explanation is the rise in social media. Part of the explanation is that more and more people access the internet through phones and tablet and not computers. Part of the explanation is that the web turned commercial and forums are not really adapted for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing wrong with this forum that more images won't fix.
    Come on gang, post lots of pictures so we can learn from each other
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Regarding this site, I read and visit nearly daily even if I don't post as much as in the past. Life has just gotten busier
    I've also lurked more than posted in recent months. At times I've posted and it appeared to me at times that I was totally ignored here, however it seems its many other members experience also.

Case in point with forums is the Ricoh forum here - General Error has pretty much died, one post a week or so, however the Facebook Ricoh GR forum has some of the best images I've seen in years and many posts regularly all day.

One site that is quite alive still is https://www.photographerslounge.org/ however, I gravitated away due to one particular member.

With the social media groups, you do get to see rapidly a lot of images, but there is little to zero discussion, both discussion and images are here. The discussion here no matter gear or image making is all valuable and engaging to me. I am an aficionado of wristwatches both mechanical and quartz. The FB groups are, "look at my latest" whereas the Watch forums discuss and review in depth.

Keep the doors open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well... no, not really. Some members of my family are very much into facebook. If I get an account, I know very well that I will be expected to spend time each day to like and comment on their extensive feeds. I also know that they will then only contact me via facebook. They already complain that they have to remember my email address or phone when they need to contact me while "facebook is so much more convenient".
    This not my experience. Although I do like or comment once in a while on stuff published by (oversea) family members, I mostly communicate directly life, by mail, by phone or skype and they don't expect me to react on every bit they put on FB.

I also wonder about the aspect of "social validation" on facebook. Forums are quite simple: one has to prove value by posting interesting stuff. One can even be anonymous on a forum. Facebook appears to be quite different. I had an interesting discussion with an artist a few months ago. Her gallerist made it quite clear that her professional must be curated between other artists (successful ones) and followers. She cannot follow people who are not successful artists, that would not reflect positively on her work. Apparently, there is no place for amateurs in that ecosystem, except as customers of course.
    There are just so many good photographers out there on FB. People like Fred Hoerr, Dave Jordano, Bart van Damme, Paul d'Haese, Marcus Lehr, Brad McMurray, Hans Wildschut, Koos Breukel, Daniel Bartoll Rios, Julio López Saguar and Antonino di Leo to name a few. There is very nice group which interests me, started by Daniel Bartoll Rios called "A Man Altered Landscape "which interests me very much.
    Professionals don'te feel to good to mix with amateurs who want to broaden their horizons. If they comment, mostly short or like your photograph you know it means something.
    If you're more interested in other genres I am sure you can find a group to join.
    And it works the same as here on forums: you prove value by posting interesting stuff.

But I like getdpi mainly because of its friendly mix of contributers. And some of the gear discussions are informative and sometimes very funny.

Post Thanks / Like

But what bugs me is when I do these long tests and post I get very few responses as that's a clear sign folks are losing interest.
    A few years ago, I did a comprehensive test of most available Sony lenses on the A900. I had access to quite a few and I had access to a building high up where I could see far away. I did a simple landscape test: angle the camera so that the horizon runs from corner to corner and take a series of pictures at apertures between wide open and f/11.

The images looked like this:

For selected lenses, I did a summary comparison like that:

The test is quite useful (at least for me), because it tests at the infinite (while test charts are taken at short distances, which is a big problem for wide-angle lenses). There is also little that can go wrong: focus errors or shutter blur can be easily spotted and one does not need to insure that the subject is square to the camera. I still use the same test to make sure that a new bought lens is not too decentered and to compare new lenses to old ones.

So, on my flickr account, there were about 20 albums, each with a given Sony/Minolta lens. There were also comparisons by focal length. Each image was downloadable at full resolution (using flickr interface). A few years later, I got a Nikon D800 and did the same work for various Nikon lenses. Still a few years later, I got an H4D-50 and did the same for various Hasselblad lenses. There is an example here for the HC-50 II.

My motivation was to motivate other people to do the same test with their lenses. After all, all one needs is a place where one can see far away. I would have benefited from similar tests with lenses I did not have. So on each album and under each picture there was a small summary on how to do that, but eventually Flickr changed their interface so that people do not see these comments any more. Anyway, even during the years when the comment was obvious, nobody took the challenge.

Flickr keeps statistics, so I know that some images were downloaded a few thousands times.

At the time, I posted these tests on various forums I used to frequent at the time. I mainly received negative comments: that downloading pictures was too difficult, that the comparison was not easy, that the light changed between pictures, did I use a tripod stable enough?, that I should test a different lens/camera, that I should have used imatest, etc... The number of positive comments and thank you notes was much smaller, I think I can count them on my fingers.

At the time the A7r went to market, I thought about getting one and use it to compare some Nikon and Sony lenses directly. Eventually, I realised it would only attract criticism. In the end, after a fair warning on the forums to allow interested people to download what they were interested to keep, I took the pictures down.

So, Guy, please don't be too hard on yourself: if you don't get positive feedback from your tests, it's not the fault of your tests.

Post Thanks / Like

This not my experience. Although I do like or comment once in a while on stuff published by (oversea) family members, I mostly communicate directly life, by mail, by phone or skype and they don't expect me to react on every bit they put on FB.
    Obviously, the experience depends a lot on the people one may know. I know for sure that, should I have a facebook account, some family members will require constant attention from me and not communicate with anything else. Not all of them, of course, but one or two is enough for me to pass on facebook.

There are just so many good photographers out there on FB. People like Fred Hoerr, Dave Jordano, Bart van Damme, Paul d'Haese, Marcus Lehr, Brad McMurray, Hans Wildschut, Koos Breukel, Daniel Bartoll Rios, Julio López Saguar and Antonino di Leo to name a few. There is very nice group which interests me, started by Daniel Bartoll Rios called "A Man Altered Landscape " which interests me very much.
    Professionals don't feel to good to mix with amateurs who want to broaden their horizons. If they comment, mostly short or like your photograph you know it means something.
    If you're more interested in other genres I am sure you can find a group to join.
    And it works the same as here on forums: you prove value by posting interesting stuff.
    But aren't you supposed to post pictures at a regular, constant, rate to get comments on facebook? I know that instagram or tumblr work in that way: to get followers, one has to post a continuous stream of pictures, ideally every day.

As to the group you cited, a simple google search shows that I can follow it without being a facebook member: here. It indeeds looks interesting, thank you. I will probably watch it now. I already follow Unless you will on facebook (without an account), you may also like it.

But I like getdpi mainly because of its friendly mix of contributers. And some of the gear discussions are informative and sometimes very funny.
    I follow forums because they are the place to get news about gear, software, etc...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Obviously, the experience depends a lot on the people one may know. I know for sure that, should I have a facebook account, some family members will require constant attention from me and not communicate with anything else. Not all of them, of course, but one or two is enough for me to pass on facebook.

But aren't you supposed to post pictures at a regular, constant, rate to get comments on facebook? I know that instagram or tumblr work in that way: to get followers, one has to post a continuous stream of pictures, ideally every day.

As to the group you cited, a simple google search shows that I can follow it without being a facebook member: here. It indeeds looks interesting, thank you. I will probably watch it now. I already follow Unless you will on facebook (without an account), you may also like it.

I follow forums because they are the place to get news about gear, software, etc...
    Well I like to post on a regular basis.

BTW you can see and follow the group but not post in it unless you become a member.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW you can see and follow the group but not post in it unless you become a member.
    I understand that. Are the few eventual "mostly short or like your photograph" comments I may get on my pictures worth the hassle? I don't think so. I will simply lurk.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, but am not sure "ruined" is quite correct. It has most certainly changed photography … probably as much or more than digital originally did.

Apple's original theme line when launching their personal computer was "The computer for the rest of us", (at the time referencing Apple's focus on the individual, verses IBM's focus on business). The iPhone was a continuation of that concept, placing photography in the hands of the masses with a photographic tool that is always with the person.

The result is a down-playing of photographic craftsmanship, and a strong surge of content driven imagery especially personal photography. Now if Aunt Milly in her garden party finest staggers off into the pool during a family barbecue, 20 cell phones capture it and in a matter of seconds it's on FaceBook, U-Tube, etc. If it goes viral, millions may see it. These social sites are endlessly connected personal networks that define the term "Web". You have a friend that has hundreds of friends, who each have hundreds of friends, and so on.

In the end, most folks want their work to be seen. As Picasso once said … "A painting kept in the closet, might as well be kept in the head." The answer to that for the upcoming younger generations is social sites, not the more traditional path many of us are used to … which in turn, are fast disappearing.

In my former field of endeavor, weddings, well over a decade ago a shot taken at a Kennedy wedding by Denis Reggie defined the sort of romantic photography that went mainstream. More recently, a shot by some obscure photographer of a T-Rex chasing a wedding party went viral over-night, and was even picked up on news shows. For over a year afterwards a lot of prospective wedding clients wanted something like that I knew it was time to gracefully bow out.

Even technical info has been impacted. If you Google a tech question, there are probably twenty U-Tube, step-by-step videos that answer it.

So, my take on photography forums is that they must evolve and offer something of greater substance than just tech talk, tests, or posting images in a cloistered environment.

Which brings up the dicey subject of … purpose.

With commercial photography, there is an underlying purpose going in. The client wants to communicate something. Then ideas are formed, approaches considered, craftsmanship is applied … but all are held accountable to that underlying purpose.

When I see a great shot here on GetDpi, I often wonder what inspired it? What was the purpose either going in, or what planned or intuitive idea or aesthetic insight suddenly struck the photographer that led to the image? How it was technically pulled off is of some interest, but secondary to why the photo was made in the first place.

I get that many folks do this because of the personal satisfaction … the "doing" being an important component. Yet when we post resulting images, the viewer was not there for the "doing". That personal experience isn't inherent in the image.

I wonder where this train of thought might lead us … if anywhere?

- Marc

P.S., Guy, your lens tests are so comprehensive, so well done, that I'm not sure what there is to say in response other than thank you!