Site Sponsors

Thread: Welcome to our newest member, sdsdvdvfvf

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our newest member, sdsdvdvfvf

Lately, we seem to have many new members that turn out to be bogus accounts.
    I can imagine it's quite easy to slip by the scrutiny of the moderators, but surely some account names should raise an eyebrow (or two) ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to our newest member, sdsdvdvfvf

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Lately, we seem to have many new members that turn out to be bogus accounts.
    I can imagine it's quite easy to slip by the scrutiny of the moderators, but surely some account names should raise an eyebrow (or two) ...
    Getting old .... these dolts have nothing better to do than spam this forum.

I wonder if an authentication step ... delay in posting and 4 post per-approval would stop some of this.

Bob
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, this guy (under many different names) links to sports livestreams, so I guess he's getting 0,001 $ per click or so.
    I usually report them when I see the posts and the mods usually boot him out within an hour, so he gets little joy from his efforts.

On another forum where I am an administrator the software has the facility to block IP addresses, but I don't know if the GetDPI forum software can do this or that he uses a dynamic IP address so that this doesn't help.

Having the first 2 or 3 posts of a new member moderator approved will be a big deterrent for this kind of spam, but also a lot more work for the mods if they have to do that for every new member.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy told me that it is a dynamic IP address so he can keep spamming.

If the first moderated posts had a filter for "vs" or "live feed" the moderators job would be a lot easier.

Bob

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I would like to see since when I'm on is when we go ahead and delete a thread a option that has ban user and ban IP address all in one step. Today we have to go into the back end and perform these taskes and frankly a PITA. As it is today on the front end we have a few delete options if we could get a one button bury this guy in the sand option it make my life better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry this turns out to be such a cumbersome task for you moderators, Guy.
    Isn't it so anymore that a new member is only granted permission to the site after approval ?
    Hence my remark regarding account names like the one mentioned as that to me at least suggests a bogus account.
    Bart ...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's processed through the forum software not us . How that all works is Bobs baby. I honestly don't know why we have been on constant attack but I agree it's getting old.maybe if we did a pay like a dollar to join or something like that it will stop. I don't have the answer but yes it's a pain for mods. Cindy nailed 15 today alone.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Or ...

Pay to post ... I imagine that most of the constructive members here would pay ... $25 a year for "posting privileges."
    New members could listen in and if they found something of value they could decide if the $25 was worth their time.

I think your friend would disappear quickly ... $25 for every bogus name would get restrictive very soon.

OK flame me ....

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Or ...

Pay to post ... I imagine that most of the constructive members here would pay ... $25 a year for "posting privileges."
    New members could listen in and if they found something of value they could decide if the $25 was worth their time.

I think your friend would disappear quickly ... $25 for every bogus name would get restrictive very soon.

OK flame me ....

Bob
    Flame on you, Bob

On a serious note, I never made a contribution to this site ...
    But 25 buckazoids, hey ? As a long time member, can I have a discount ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Flame on you, Bob

On a serious note, I never made a contribution to this site ...
    But 25 buckazoids, hey ? As a long time member, can I have a discount ?
    I have contributed twice ... both for more than that ... reminds me I need
    to do so again.

There are few web sites that are a better fit for my desires and temperament.

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Or ...

OK flame me ....

Bob
    I actually think some form of annual fee would also work not only for discouraging spammers but in some cases keep out those who might be inclined to scam buyers or sellers, especially new lighitimate members.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post