The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharpness of embedded images

Sapphie

I find that if i embed images in posts they are not as sharp as they look when viewed locally on my computer. I have tried embedding from Zenfolio, 500px and from the getup gallery. I am saving my pics with width 1200 pixels.

How come other people's look pretty sharp? Are there any tips for saving images from LR suitable for embedding in getdpi?

Thanks
Lee

pegelli

Do you sharpen after downsizing?

This is a good reference to see why you should do that. Also loads of other good tutorials and articles on that site (I have no affiliation, I just read and learned a lot there)

pegelli

I used PhotoKit Sharpener. It has output settings for print and web.
Good advice, it does a good job on sharpening for a specific output medium and size. I used it for a long time.

The lightroom export dialog actually uses the same algorithms when you sharpen for screen or print, but it's less flexible.

These days for web presentation I use a low sharpening setting with my Lighroom export followed by a mild treatment of Topaz Detail (mainly the deblur option). For me it gives a slightly sharper look with less sharpening halos when you magnify, but I'm not convinced it's actually much better in practical use vs. the simple method of just using Photokit Sharpener or the default Lightroom export sharpening routines.

Knorp

FWIW - I'm using Capture One "Output Sharpening for Screen" (amount:115, radius:0.8, threshold:1.0)