The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

eclipse shooting

alrodriguez

help!
planning on driving to south carolina for the eclipse, are "solar" filters a must to prevent sensor damage?

tia
al

Shashin

No (you have probably shot hundreds of landscapes with the sun in the frame). Solar filters protect your eyes. Your camera should be fine, although a filter can control exposure (photographers use solar filters to shoot sun spots). During totality, you will not even need a solar filter for viewing.

tcdeveau

Probably not. I would use some sort of ND filtration though just to prevent blowing out the sun. As previously mentioned, during the short totality window (~2 mins give or take depending on location), you won't even need a filter.

I'm a sucker for marketing, so I bought a Lee eclipse filter, which seems to be a 20 stop ND filter with some special coating for IR. I have shot the sun before with just a 10-stop ND filter (Lee big stopper) and it seemed to work fine without any sensor damage.