Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

Firstly, we appreciate all of the support -- this is a very special community. Let me just say there have been a few dialogs that have opened up, and one in particular may be quite promising in helping keep the forum open under its current model.

Also know that we appreciate all the offers of of financial support. That could be very helpful, and we will let you know if (or more hopefully, when) those would be appreciated.

Stay tuned!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 16 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Firstly, we appreciate all of the support -- this is a very special community. Let me just say there have been a few dialogs that have opened up, and one in particular may be quite promising in helping keep the forum open under its current model.

Also know that we appreciate all the offers of of financial support. That could be very helpful, and we will let you know if (or more hopefully, when) those would be appreciated.

Stay tuned!
    That sounds very promising! Looking forward to the news. I also really do appreciate that you are not just thinking of selling it off to someone. That's very sympathetic indeed! By keeping this somewhat neutral and non-commercial, the treshold of becoming part of the community stays low. That statement is independent of a voluntary donation (count me in).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned!
    We will ! Hurrah !
    Bart ...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned!
    Dear Uncle Jack, You know what you are dont you? You are a Star.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I would gladly support this site in any way necessary. As for finding talent to run the software side I think that if funds were available professional talent could be found on an as needed basis. Why take any chances with learning when that type of talent is available - albeit for a fee.

The real difficulty is keeping the personality of this site in tact. I have liked the laid back atmosphere and any change to that with new moderation personalities would be a negative for me.

Regardless - I'm in.

Victor B

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Woof! Missed the start of this yesterday.

First off: Thank you both, Jack and Bob, for all the work and time you've put into making GetDPI an excellent forum! It's one of the few sites I participate on that I would be willing to buy a paid subscription for. Good folks, good conversation, lots of great photos to enjoy...!

I'm heartened to hear that some possibility has come up to maintain GetDPI going forward. I don't have much to offer other than a subscription or modest donation to the cause or I'd step forward on that front, but I surely would do either or both of those.

In the event that GetDPI cannot survive, I imagine that one route to continued support of the GetDPI community would be to use a private subscription mailing list. Three of my other forums have been eliminated over the past year due to funding and time problems by their owners; two of them have successfully transitioned to pretty-much-self-running email lists hosted by groups.io. The groups.io model allows an overall mailing list with sub-groupings by topic, and the costs per year are very low.

What it would take to transition the GetDPI community that cares back to something like that is probably a bit of work and thought up front by the GetDPI administrators, and the willingness of the community to interact with that sort of environment. I'd certainly be happy to help and would subscribe.

But it's only a thought. I'll be monitoring this thread to see what happens.

best,
    G

Post Thanks / Like

As Bob said, it isn't just about money, though more could solve it. The site costs are not that significant — about $2000 to $2500 annually to host and maintain. The real issue is the background labor and attention required on a daily basis -- and Bob and I are tired of doing it gratis. It requires somebody(s) with forum software prowess to approve and vet new members and approve posts daily from new members until they hit 10 or so -- which is how we keep spammers to a minimum, and yet you see the ones that still make it through even with that. Then it requires somebody with web skills to manage all the site software updates and patches, and then manage malware or hack attacks that can come almost any time day or night. In short, it takes somebody being on deck pretty much 24-7. So that’s the real issue for us: we're tired of doing it and there simply isn’t enough money to outsource those tech parts…

We would be totally open to handing it over to a consortium of folks that want to take all of that on to keep GetDPI alive. We've had a few basic offers to take it over, but they would move the site to a subscription/ad model or merge it with their own existing site -- in the hopes of getting all of our members active on their forum, so they can reap the ad and subscription revenue. In short, it would become all the things we never wanted the site to be...

We love the members -- you've made GetDPI truly a unique community. But we don't see a clear path for us to gracefully depart and keep the flavor the same...
    I have all the necessary skills required and would be happy to take over the technical duties of the forum. I have developed and ran several websites / forums in the past. I would just need some help in terms of willing moderator volunteers. I also have my own managed server.

If you are willing / want to / open to a transfer? Otherwise I would be happy to just lend a hand on the technical aspects of the sites like continues updates to the back end etc.
    Last edited by Boinger; 25th April 2020 at 14:14. Reason: grammar
    Thanks 21 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I've never been one to support pay sites and this would be no exception.
    As Ben Franklin said “Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship”

I think it's more about being a social gathering place than providing much useful content

I understand why people are upset, no one wants anything to change. But life is change so get over it !
    There is also "penny wise and pound foolish."

But thanks Doug for your supportive contribution to the conversation (as always)! Did you think the change could be the community becoming self-sufficient? Just a thought.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Did you think the change could be the community becoming self-sufficient?

Boinger, we may be contacting you.

Guys, I am now pretty confident we can make this work out. Stay tuned.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Thanks 12 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned!
    Count me in!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is looking good, Thank You Sir.

If at least 50 members donate $50 each, financial side will be sorted. Any additional money can go into upgrades/reserve. I am happy to pay as soon as.
    Sahota R
    Brisbane, Australia
    www.shaandaar.photos
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed the GetDPI community immensely and find great value in it as a resource, I would love to help contribute to a resolution to keep it going!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The real issue is the background labor and attention required on a daily basis -- and Bob and I are tired of doing it gratis. It requires somebody(s) with forum software prowess to approve and vet new members and approve posts daily from new members until they hit 10 or so -- which is how we keep spammers to a minimum, and yet you see the ones that still make it through even with that. Then it requires somebody with web skills to manage all the site software updates and patches, and then manage malware or hack attacks that can come almost any time day or night. In short, it takes somebody being on deck pretty much 24-7.
    I had not realised how much work was necessary behind the scenes and I thank you for having done it all these years.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

....The real issue is the background labor and attention required on a daily basis.... to approve and vet new members and approve posts daily from new members until they hit 10 or so -- which is how we keep spammers to a minimum...
    Just a quick suggestion, if possible----charge a nominal application fee for new members. That requirement would probably get rid of most all spammers.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Just a quick suggestion, if possible----charge a nominal application fee for new members. That requirement would probably get rid of most all spammers.

Ken
    I don't think that would be a good idea. That would also put a high threshold for signing up and would point people towards other forums.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    I don't think that would be a good idea. That would also put a high threshold for signing up and would point people towards other forums.
    If you required a whopping $1 (or even less) by Paypal---that would probably clear out the spammers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind a subscription as long as the site is open for reading for free. I think people will need to lurk before they decide to join.

But a donation system can work very well as well (I know from another site I'm involved with) and there's a lot of other technology options to keep spammers out without having a paid subscription.
    My Pics

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume that I am in the minority but a subscription model would be advantageous ... in many ways.
    New members could have a couple of weeks to browse without contributing ... then commit if they wish to
    stay on board.

Since this site does not generate income ... especially now by number of members ... it may be better served
    by subscription ... most of us here are willing to support it with a donation ... some of us have already done so in
    the past.

So it is not the biggest site ... no one here really cares and if it limits trolls and spam all the better.

What ... really what bauble can you purchase for your camera that would be less expensive that the small subscription
    fee necessary to keep this running? Four or five Carmel Frappaccinos would cost more ...

Looks to me like most have been enjoying the benefits of this site without any financial commitment ... if it matters to
    you ... you could take the risk and contribute now ...

Post Thanks / Like

If there’s anything I can do to help with hosting the site, I’m a software engineer as a day job and would be happy to lend my expertise - I have over 5 years of experience doing everything from frontend development down to physical hardware, so I can help where needed!

Edit having caught up now I see others have already stepped up still willing to help out if needed!
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I don't mind a subscription as long as the site is open for reading for free. I think people will need to lurk before they decide to join.

But a donation system can work very well as well (I know from another site I'm involved with) and there's a lot of other technology options to keep spammers out without having a paid subscription.
    Speaking of donation: where did the instructions go ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    If you required a whopping $1 (or even less) by Paypal---that would probably clear out the spammers.
    Keeping off spammers can be easy, but it takes alert moderation. A couple of other forums that I moderate have as simple system: all first posts go into the moderation queue and have to be approved by a moderator, which is a one-click choice -the forum software does the rest, I am confident that we catch over 95% and that the mistaken kick-offs are very rare as well. Three minutes a day moderation time is all it takes.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, let me add my big THANK YOU to all those who first created, and then helped GetDPI to grow. I have been very sorry to read about the possible closing of the forum, and I am happy to see that there are good chances that it'll stay alive I'm not familiar with the tech side of running a four such as this, but I'd be happy to help moderating if needed.

Best regards,

Vieri
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Formatt-Hitech Signature Artist | ABIPP EP
    WORKSHOPS | FINE ART PRINTS | PORTFOLIO | THE BLOG
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Based upon the comments so far, it appears that there may be path forward to keep the GetDPI forums up and running. I am more than willing to join with others in helping to make the finances work. This is a very valuable community of experienced photographers that are generous in sharing their knowledge and opinions with each other in a mature, constructive way. That kind of atmosphere is hard to find elsewhere on the internet. It's a tribute to Jack, Guy and Bob. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone else, I am sad to see the site go away. As a (VERY) senior citizen amateur, this site was very valuable to me. Yes, I visit several other sites, but sometimes the replies I get there are very insulting or condescending. Here, I have always been treated like a gentleman. Thank you all for that.
    Dave in NJ

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Firstly, I would like to thank Jack, Bob and Guy for their dedication to keep GetDPI alive. You are great people!

Thank you Darr for starting this forum. I agree with everything you said.

GetDPI is a very special community to me. I get to know many great talented people whom I can call friends. I've been inspired by them over these years.

Please don't close the site. There must be a way to keep it opened.

As most of us here, I will be more than happy to contribute membership fee and extra to maintain our GetDPI.

Best

Pramote
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 28th April 2020 at 06:40.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Boinger, we may be contacting you.

Any chance partnering up with ISO 1200 Magazine would work out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Speaking of donation: where did the instructions go ...
    We pulled down the "donations" link because we didn't want folks donating if we were going to close the site.

Assuming we can get traction with an appropriate partner to take over the day-to-day operations, we will stick around for the transition over to them --- and at that time, your donations will be welcome to offset our out-of-pocket costs. Stay tuned, as we should know more by early next week. Keeping fingers crossed
    Jack

Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have loved this site for soo long now.
    I have learned soo much.
    I would gladly contribute moentarily,
    as I don't really have the time required, nor the technical skills to contribute otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This site is a haven of civility and support in the heathen wasteland of the internet.

Having been a moderator on a site (and vowed never to do that job again) I understand how the team feel. I guess the cash was simply the trigger...

I'd be happy to contribute, I'd prefer and donation mechanism to a subscription but I'm not totally averse to the latter.

Jack and Bob (and Guy) thanks for your effort over the years. Please keep us included in the conversation.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have found GetDPI to be the best site around for all sorts of things. I haven't been involved much of late but would hate to see it go away or morph into something less. GetDPI has been an island of sanity and honesty in an increasingly hostile internet.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

The sponsors will be back. A contribution from members will be the best thing to keep things going, I'll put my hand in my pocket. I'm sure if we all look around the expertise will be there too. I'm going to ask in my IT dept and see who can help, if others can look at their people resources, it should go a long way to keep things going.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately not having GetDPI in my photographic life will be a change. It is the third site I visit every morning following the weather and one news site.
    I would be pleased to donate whatever is necessary to assist in keeping this place alive.
    I cannot thank Jack, Guy and Bob enough for their tireless and timely work. They will be missed as will everyone else whose posts I look forward to reading and whose images bring me great pleasure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be more than willing to pay a monthly or annual membership fee.

Perhaps the money raised could be used to hire someone, or a service company to handle the technical/maintenance aspects?

A carrot for such a company could be to allow some advertising onto the site (rather than sponsors) which would be a benefit to them.

Just thinking out loud. Like a lot of people, I would be sorry to see this community go. I can't think of another photographic community like it. People here have never been mean or trolling which is rare on the interweb.

Put up a paid for membership model and I would be willing to contribute.

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

As Bob said, it isn't just about money, though more could solve it. The site costs are not that significant ó about $2000 to $2500 annually to host and maintain. The real issue is the background labor and attention required on a daily basis -- and Bob and I are tired of doing it gratis. It requires somebody(s) with forum software prowess to approve and vet new members and approve posts daily from new members until they hit 10 or so -- which is how we keep spammers to a minimum, and yet you see the ones that still make it through even with that. Then it requires somebody with web skills to manage all the site software updates and patches, and then manage malware or hack attacks that can come almost any time day or night. In short, it takes somebody being on deck pretty much 24-7. So thatís the real issue for us: we're tired of doing it and there simply isnít enough money to outsource those tech partsÖ

We would be totally open to handing it over to a consortium of folks that want to take all of that on to keep GetDPI alive. We've had a few basic offers to take it over, but they would move the site to a subscription/ad model or merge it with their own existing site -- in the hopes of getting all of our members active on their forum, so they can reap the ad and subscription revenue. In short, it would become all the things we never wanted the site to be...

We love the members -- you've made GetDPI truly a unique community. But we don't see a clear path for us to gracefully depart and keep the flavor the same...
    This site is the first one on the list to visit. Best of all.

Is there a way to see where the most traffic is, or (in a slim down mode), which forums are the most important to keep open? I don't mean to set off a brushfire, but if there are 20 forums all about the same activity - that's one model. If one (say MF) takes say 50% of the traffic, that's something else... Maybe this could help in figuring out next version of GetDPI which hopefully can't close....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    This site is the first one on the list to visit. Best of all.

Is there a way to see where the most traffic is, or (in a slim down mode), which forums are the most important to keep open? I don't mean to set off a brushfire, but if there are 20 forums all about the same activity - that's one model. If one (say MF) takes say 50% of the traffic, that's something else... Maybe this could help in figuring out next version of GetDPI which hopefully can't close....
    The number of sub-fora do not add appreciably to the hosting cost. By far, our biggest space suck is the image gallery. But regardless, you pay a base cost to have your site hosted, so in reality even the gallery does not add significant cost -- and let's not forget this is a photography forum
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I have already posted somewhere else in this forum that I feel very sorry seeing it going down. I still feel exactly the same!

I hope sincerely this forum can survive!

Post Thanks / Like

There is no other site where you can find such great and current information regarding medium format photography. This forum has been a great resource for me, and I really hope it can continue. I also subscribe to the Luminous Landscape forum, which went to a subscription model awhile back; I believe it is one dollar a month. My thought is to have a basic free subscription, at least to allow some new photographers on board without any barriers, and after a time period, add a low fee continued subscription rate.
    Thanks for everything that has been done here over these many years!!

The number of sub-fora do not add appreciably to the hosting cost. By far, our biggest space suck is the image gallery. But regardless, you pay a base cost to have your site hosted, so in reality even the gallery does not add significant cost -- and let's not forget this is a photography forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To all of our supporters,

First off, thank you very much for the outpouring of support you've shown us in these trying times -- it has truly been appreciated. In fact, it was your outpour of support that caused Bob and I to search more diligently for a viable alternative to simply pulling the plug... We think we have found an appropriate partner to not only keep GetDPI alive in its current style, but also allowing it to keep moving forward for the next several years.

With that, I would like to introduce Olaf Sztaba, editor of "Medium Format Magazine." We are in the beginning stages of transferring GetDPI site management to his team. Olaf's main goal in taking this over is to keep GetDPI alive, and moreover to maintain the community activity in its current form, which was of key importance to us. Additionally, Olaf has the resources to upgrade our aging vBulletin site platform to the more modern cloud version, which was a larger undertaking than we wanted to tackle. Please join me in welcoming Olaf to the GetDPI family, and stay tuned for more details as we put it all in place!
    Jack

Thanks 20 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 43 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First off, thank you very much for the outpouring of support you've shown us in these trying times -- it has truly been appreciated. In fact, it was your outpour of support that caused Bob and I to search more diligently for a viable alternative to simply pulling the plug... We think we have found an appropriate partner to not only keep GetDPI alive in its current style, but also allowing it to keep moving forward for the next several years.

With that, I would like to introduce Olaf Sztaba, editor of "Medium Format Magazine." We are in the beginning stages of transferring GetDPI site management to his team. Olaf's main goal in taking this over is to keep GetDPI alive, and moreover to maintain the community activity in its current form, which was of key importance to us. Additionally, Olaf has the resources to upgrade our aging vBulletin site platform to the more modern cloud version, which was a larger undertaking than we wanted to tackle. Please join me in welcoming Olaf to the GetDPI family, and stay tuned for more details as we put it all in place!
    Hey Jack,

that is great news! I am working with Olaf as a contributor to the Medium Format Magazine, I know the way he works and I am really happy to hear that you guys got together and figured it out

Best regards,

Vieri
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Formatt-Hitech Signature Artist | ABIPP EP
    WORKSHOPS | FINE ART PRINTS | PORTFOLIO | THE BLOG
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news Jack, I appreciate the effort you and Bob (and Guy) have put in to make this happen. I am sure all of us that make up the members feel the same.
    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great news Jack, thanks for working these next steps.

With "Medium Format Magazine" taking a bigger role in managing the site does that have any concequences for the scope of the forum, i.e for the smaller than MF digital and film format forums?
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    That's great news Jack, thanks for working these next steps.

With "Medium Format Magazine" taking a bigger role in managing the site does that have any concequences for the scope of the forum, i.e for the smaller than MF digital and film format forums?
    The intent is to keep the community the way it is.
    thanks
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com
    Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The intent is to keep the community the way it is.
    thanks
    -bob
    Thatís good news for the less well endowed among us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you so much Jack and Bob for your warm welcome. I am very excited to be a part of this iconic community and becoming a custodian of its tradition of cooperation, exchange of ideas and friendship. With you direction and advice I am looking forward to make this transition smooth and fruitful. It is a very great pleasure to be here. Greetings to everyone.
    Thanks 20 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 40 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you so much Jack for your warm welcome. I am very excited to be a part of this iconic community and becoming a custodian of its tradition of cooperation, exchange of ideas and friendship. With your direction and advice I am looking forward to make this transition smooth and fruitful. It is a very great pleasure to be here. Greetings to everyone.
    Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed great news. Thanks Jack and Bob to make this happen, and welcome Olaf! Looking forward to the forthcoming years.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    Indeed great news. Thanks Jack and Bob to make this happen, and welcome Olaf! Looking forward to the forthcoming years.
    It is wonderful to be here. Thank you for your welcome.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever ongoing costs need to be shared, fully onboard with whatever model is adopted going forward to address them.
    --Mike

My Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I like many others here on Getdpi, am extremely excited of hearing the news of the continuation of this invaluable resource. Getdpi has always been a beacon for those who enjoy giving and/or receiving advice in a most congenial setting, where ideas and sharing of both photographic images and one's knowledge base elevates the platform above many others. The willingness of members to offer both financial support or technical expertise to keep this site going, speaks volumes.

We are all indebted to Jack, Bob, Guy, the moderators and those behind the scene all these years in remaining steadfast and working hard to maintain the quality of this website which resulted in the outpouring of support. Additional thanks also goes out to Olaf for stepping up with his support for continuing the Getdpi tradition and keeping the broad photographic representation of a whole host of various format camera system forums with along with ancillary forums that support the use of these systems. Thank you Olaf and all and look forward to what lies ahead.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I like many others here on Getdpi, am extremely excited of hearing the news of the continuation of this invaluable resource. Getdpi has always been a beacon for those who enjoy giving and/or receiving advice in a most congenial setting, where ideas and sharing of both photographic images and one's knowledge base elevates the platform above many others. The willingness of members to offer both financial support or technical expertise to keep this site going, speaks volumes.

We are all indebted to Jack, Bob, Guy, the moderators and those behind the scene all these years in remaining steadfast and working hard to maintain the quality of this website which resulted in the outpouring of support. Additional thanks also goes out to Olaf for stepping up with his support for continuing the Getdpi tradition and keeping the broad photographic representation of a whole host of various format camera system forums with along with ancillary forums that support the use of these systems. Thank you Olaf and all and look forward to what lies ahead.

Dave (D&A)
    Thank you so much for this warm welcome. My team and I are very excited to become part of this amazing community. I will be updating our progress as we go forward.
    Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post