The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

SahotaR

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Guys, I am now pretty confident we can make this work out. Stay tuned.
This is looking good, Thank You Sir.

If at least 50 members donate $50 each, financial side will be sorted. Any additional money can go into upgrades/reserve. I am happy to pay as soon as.

Greg Haag

I have enjoyed the GetDPI community immensely and find great value in it as a resource, I would love to help contribute to a resolution to keep it going!

jerome_m

The real issue is the background labor and attention required on a daily basis -- and Bob and I are tired of doing it gratis. It requires somebody(s) with forum software prowess to approve and vet new members and approve posts daily from new members until they hit 10 or so -- which is how we keep spammers to a minimum, and yet you see the ones that still make it through even with that. Then it requires somebody with web skills to manage all the site software updates and patches, and then manage malware or hack attacks that can come almost any time day or night. In short, it takes somebody being on deck pretty much 24-7.
I had not realised how much work was necessary behind the scenes and I thank you for having done it all these years.

kdphotography

....The real issue is the background labor and attention required on a daily basis.... to approve and vet new members and approve posts daily from new members until they hit 10 or so -- which is how we keep spammers to a minimum...
Just a quick suggestion, if possible----charge a nominal application fee for new members. That requirement would probably get rid of most all spammers.

Ken

anyone

Just a quick suggestion, if possible----charge a nominal application fee for new members. That requirement would probably get rid of most all spammers.

Ken
I don't think that would be a good idea. That would also put a high threshold for signing up and would point people towards other forums.

kdphotography

I don't think that would be a good idea. That would also put a high threshold for signing up and would point people towards other forums.
If you required a whopping $1 (or even less) by Paypal---that would probably clear out the spammers.

pegelli

I don't mind a subscription as long as the site is open for reading for free. I think people will need to lurk before they decide to join.

But a donation system can work very well as well (I know from another site I'm involved with) and there's a lot of other technology options to keep spammers out without having a paid subscription.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I assume that I am in the minority but a subscription model would be advantageous ... in many ways.
New members could have a couple of weeks to browse without contributing ... then commit if they wish to
stay on board.

Since this site does not generate income ... especially now by number of members ... it may be better served
by subscription ... most of us here are willing to support it with a donation ... some of us have already done so in
the past.

So it is not the biggest site ... no one here really cares and if it limits trolls and spam all the better.

What ... really what bauble can you purchase for your camera that would be less expensive that the small subscription
fee necessary to keep this running? Four or five Carmel Frappaccinos would cost more ...

Looks to me like most have been enjoying the benefits of this site without any financial commitment ... if it matters to
you ... you could take the risk and contribute now ...

buildbot

If there’s anything I can do to help with hosting the site, I’m a software engineer as a day job and would be happy to lend my expertise - I have over 5 years of experience doing everything from frontend development down to physical hardware, so I can help where needed!

Edit having caught up now I see others have already stepped up :) still willing to help out if needed!

Knorp

I don't mind a subscription as long as the site is open for reading for free. I think people will need to lurk before they decide to join.

But a donation system can work very well as well (I know from another site I'm involved with) and there's a lot of other technology options to keep spammers out without having a paid subscription.
Speaking of donation: where did the instructions go ... :confused: :facesmack: :rolleyes:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
If you required a whopping $1 (or even less) by Paypal---that would probably clear out the spammers.
Keeping off spammers can be easy, but it takes alert moderation. A couple of other forums that I moderate have as simple system: all first posts go into the moderation queue and have to be approved by a moderator, which is a one-click choice -the forum software does the rest, I am confident that we catch over 95% and that the mistaken kick-offs are very rare as well. Three minutes a day moderation time is all it takes.

vieri

First of all, let me add my big THANK YOU to all those who first created, and then helped GetDPI to grow. I have been very sorry to read about the possible closing of the forum, and I am happy to see that there are good chances that it'll stay alive :) :thumbup: I'm not familiar with the tech side of running a four such as this, but I'd be happy to help moderating if needed.

Best regards,

Vieri

hcubell

Based upon the comments so far, it appears that there may be path forward to keep the GetDPI forums up and running. I am more than willing to join with others in helping to make the finances work. This is a very valuable community of experienced photographers that are generous in sharing their knowledge and opinions with each other in a mature, constructive way. That kind of atmosphere is hard to find elsewhere on the internet. It's a tribute to Jack, Guy and Bob. Thank you.

gurtch

Like everyone else, I am sad to see the site go away. As a (VERY) senior citizen amateur, this site was very valuable to me. Yes, I visit several other sites, but sometimes the replies I get there are very insulting or condescending. Here, I have always been treated like a gentleman. Thank you all for that.
Dave in NJ

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Firstly, I would like to thank Jack, Bob and Guy for their dedication to keep GetDPI alive. You are great people!

Thank you Darr for starting this forum. I agree with everything you said.

GetDPI is a very special community to me. I get to know many great talented people whom I can call friends. I've been inspired by them over these years.

Please don't close the site. There must be a way to keep it opened.

As most of us here, I will be more than happy to contribute membership fee and extra to maintain our GetDPI.

Best

Pramote

Last edited:

bab

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Boinger, we may be contacting you. ;)

Guys, I am now pretty confident we can make this work out. Stay tuned.
Any chance partnering up with ISO 1200 Magazine would work out?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of donation: where did the instructions go ... :confused: :facesmack: :rolleyes:
We pulled down the "donations" link because we didn't want folks donating if we were going to close the site.

Assuming we can get traction with an appropriate partner to take over the day-to-day operations, we will stick around for the transition over to them --- and at that time, your donations will be welcome to offset our out-of-pocket costs. Stay tuned, as we should know more by early next week. Keeping fingers crossed :)

buggz

I have loved this site for soo long now.
I have learned soo much.
I would gladly contribute moentarily,
as I don't really have the time required, nor the technical skills to contribute otherwise.

Pelorus

This site is a haven of civility and support in the heathen wasteland of the internet.

Having been a moderator on a site (and vowed never to do that job again) I understand how the team feel. I guess the cash was simply the trigger...

I'd be happy to contribute, I'd prefer and donation mechanism to a subscription but I'm not totally averse to the latter.

Jack and Bob (and Guy) thanks for your effort over the years. Please keep us included in the conversation.

Mike

Jeffg53

I have found GetDPI to be the best site around for all sorts of things. I haven't been involved much of late but would hate to see it go away or morph into something less. GetDPI has been an island of sanity and honesty in an increasingly hostile internet.