The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A major update!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello My GetDPI friends,

I trust you are staying well.

It has been a while since my last update but here it is.

As you have probably noticed we took our time before introducing any major changes to the forum. My team at the Medium Format Magazine and I have spent the last few weeks planning and consulting about the future of the GetDPI.com. The key plan hasn’t changed at all. It is still going to be a free, independent and unique photographic forum with minimal distraction.

The key objective of the consultation was the topic of redesign and introducing the forum to a larger audience. It is no secret that the forum needs new blood to stay alive and prosper and in order to attract a serious audience, the design must be modernized and simplified. At the moment, the process of uploading an image is not only annoying but confusing, to put it mildly.

I had the chance to meet with three forum experts who have firsthand knowledge of the modern forum experience and currently available platforms. I also consulted with some design experts. They all came up with the same idea. In order to look into the future and modernize the forum we need to take two major steps.

First Phase: We need to move the entire forum to a new platform called XenForo. It is flexible, constantly updated and most likely future proof. I won’t mention my experience dealing with the vBulletin and XenForo teams. In the first phase, we are moving the whole forum to a new place. It’s probable we will lose some minor functionalities. In fact, the forum could be “in construction” mode for a few days but you will quickly see some major design changes. In general, the entire experience will be simplified and cleaned up from a visual perspective. After all, we are here for great photography and the exchange of ideas.

Second Phase: Once the new forum starts functioning, we move to the customisation stage. This is where you see incremental changes over a few weeks. Some additional functionalities will be added, step by step over time, if needed.

The process will take a maximum of three months. By the end of the year we should have the new forum ready.

As with each change, we need to learn new ways of using the forum but it is not going to be different from any modern forum experience. I am well aware that every change creates some opposition – I understand this. I also love my routines and habits. Having said that, I promise that at the end of the change you will enjoy the new experience and amazing new content.

I am planning to create some sections of the forum to go beyond our usual topics to bring in some amazing guests and offer exclusive content for members of this forum. Keep in mind that the current functionality of having conversations, seeking advice, sharing images etc. will stay in place.

Throughout the process I will be communicating with Jack, who has been extremely supportive. I am counting on your patience and understanding because as with any transformation, there will be days when your feathers might be ruffled. I assure you that a drink or two or a walk with the dog always helps and when we are back on the forum, the annoyance of this transformation will quickly be forgotten. After all, it is for the sake of photography and the bond of committed and intelligent people. Let’s begin then. Up, up and away!

Respectfully,

Olaf

fotoism

For some people staying in their "comfort zone" is ideal, but I am excited and really looking forward to seeing an evolved new GetDPI site. Thank you to you and your team for your hard work.

JeffK

I started off here on getdpi, then discovered Medium Format magazine. It's a perfect combination having Olaf and his team being part of this community. And even better that I'm in Vancouver too - Like the MF Magazine team.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I started off here on getdpi, then discovered Medium Format magazine. It's a perfect combination having Olaf and his team being part of this community. And even better that I'm in Vancouver too - Like the MF Magazine team.
Thank you for your kind words and support. Now I have no choice but to invite you for a coffee :)

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
For some people staying in their "comfort zone" is ideal, but I am excited and really looking forward to seeing an evolved new GetDPI site. Thank you to you and your team for your hard work.
Appreciate it a lot.

vieri

Thank you for the update, Olaf! :) I am looking forward to the new forum, and I am sure that what differences there will be in the user experience will be more than compensated by the new look and functionality. After all, we are all ready to learn a new camera when it gives us new and better features, so why wouldn't we be ready to learn how to use a new forum's software for the same reasons? Plus, I am pretty sure that it won't really be too testing :)

Good luck with the move! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Shashin

I can't say I am sorry to see the old GetDPI logo gone--no offence to Jack, Bob, or Guy, but it was dasai, as they say in Japan.

I am looking forward to watching the evolution of the site. (Hopefully, the thanks button will be recovered--it is nice to distinguish between a like and a thanks.)

And thanks for all the trophies. Not sure what they are, but that does not stop me from liking them.

Onward!

Shashin

Actually, I just got how the like button works--you can actually indicate something other than the FaceBook like logo. Neat!

Shashin

I am almost afraid to post in case we get the new forum dirty...or throw a 🔧 into the works. Enjoying these new emojis. Even the real Japanese ones that you would only use once in a blue 🈷

PS This is not Pinocchio -> 👺

jng

Olaf - wow! Great look and functionality of the refreshed GetDPI site! Kudos to you and your team for putting this all together. Thanks for all of your great work on this.

John

anyone

Looks more modern, that is nice! I kind of miss the old color scheme though. It was pleasant to read, and something different from all the other forums which happen to be blue and white ;-)

darr

Looks more modern, that is nice! I kind of miss the old color scheme though. It was pleasant to read, and something different from all the other forums which happen to be blue and white ;-)
Olaf posted a new template will arrive soon. I too am hoping for a choice of a darker color scheme as I find it easier to read especially on my iPad.

D&A

I completely agree with Darr. I too would love the option of a darker color scheme as I find it easier on the eyes (especially in bright light), when on a smaller device like a cell phone, iPad etc. Aside from that looking forward to all the new features being implemented.

Dave (D&A)

vieri

Hello Olaf,

congratulations for the update! :) Love the look of the new forum, and while I appreciate those needing a darker scheme, it would be great if you could leave this one as well as an option - I for one prefer to read dark text on white paper, I guess that shows my age... :D

Keep up the good work, looking forward to what's next! Best regards,

Vieri

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We spent several full days getting the original color scheme set -- it is not easy to do with the canned software options as changing one color often affects the background or print color in a couple of the other lesser-used functions, creating conflicts where you didn't expect any. Hopefully they get us an easier on the eyes and friendlier to images color scheme over the next few days. Good work so far, it is not an easy undertaking.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Congratulations on the updates. It’s looking fresh and I’m sure that getting current with the forum software will make maintenance easier.