The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Small Sensor Fun

Rick Waldroup

I think this is really excellent. Almost missed it.
Thanks for the kind words. I had never played around much with the 21mm lens on this camera, but one day I went shooting around downtown Dallas and left it on the camera all day. It was a lot of fun. I just happened to come across this very small, but loud, carpenter's union group protesting against a company who had offices in that huge office building.

sizifo

Thanks for the kind words. I had never played around much with the 21mm lens on this camera, but one day I went shooting around downtown Dallas and left it on the camera all day. It was a lot of fun. I just happened to come across this very small, but loud, carpenter's union group protesting against a company who had offices in that huge office building.

The 21mm is great, and I love the 40mm best. But then it's no longer a compact cam.

With buildings I always wish that some perspective control would be possible, but am not quite ready to get into large format :) There must be some software method to do this, but I haven't come across it yet. Anyone know?

pollobarca

Sizifo
ShiftN is freeware and works. In GIMP there is a simple perspective control too.
ShiftN has a Flickr group where you can see many examples.
All the best

Paul

Rick Waldroup

In this particular case, I actually tilted the lens back to increase the distortion. The idea was to make the building appear even more gigantic than it was in relation to the size of the people. Not sure if it worked 100%, but that was the idea.

pollobarca

Rick,
It worked. You could even have been more adventurous in exaggerating that perspective.
I do feel sorry for those people. Their demonstration does look a little like pi**ing against the wind:angry:
Great picture.

paul

sizifo

Sizifo
ShiftN is freeware and works. In GIMP there is a simple perspective control too.
ShiftN has a Flickr group where you can see many examples.
All the best

Paul
Thanks I'm interested to see how it works. This is one of those things that if it was readily available we would probably be using it all the time. For me the converging perspective with buildings rarely works as well as a corrected version would, even if the effect is used to show the size of the building. It's an unfortunate fact that our brains "correct" the actual convergence of lines, and that the realistic photographic depiction just looks wrong.

The photo is still awesome, don't get me wrong!

Last edited:

pollobarca

Sizifo,
what I do with shiftN is to run it automatic, see what it looks like then run it with manual control and mostly reduce the perspective correction or tilt.
Do this until I'm happy.
b rgds

paul

otumay

Shooting people unawares; one of GRDII's strong points. Both were shot in the ferry across the Bosphorus. Heavy post-processing with Color EfexPro.
Best,
Osman

E

Eddie

First post: a few weeks back I was stuck in Beijing for some days, due to the volcano ash cloud. All the Nikon DSLR stuff was at home, but I had the G10 with me. All were taken close to the Gate of Heavenly Peace near the Tiananmen Square.

Not ready for kissing yet:

Flag with an Attitude:

The Higher Command:

otumay

Drinking RAKI, the most popular spirit in Turkey, along the Golden Horn. Subdued evening light, boat traffic lessens, friends gather...
Courtesy DP1 and a few sips of raki.

pollobarca

Osman,
the second shot is magic, for me, Sunlight, birds, old guy, moon, blues and reds. lots of lines cutting across too.
My daughter brought me a bottle of Raki from Lebanon a couple of weeks ago, along with Baklava. Great stuff!. Yet to try Turkish Raki.

otumay

Thank you Paul, I'm glad you liked the shot.
The raki they have in Syria and Lebanon is called arak, very similar to our raki. The Greek version, namely the ouzo, is a bit sweeter.
As for baklava, the king of our sweets, all I can say is that it is a cholesterol booster of the most effective kind!

pollobarca

Osman,
i tried home distilled Raki ( its called that in Crete) on a trip to Crete. It is less sweet than the Ouzo and Pastis which is the french one. Italy doesnt seem to have this civilised way of keeping cool while imbibing alcohol... The Baklava is amazingly rich!

Eddie- really like your chinese shots- The First is a gem.

b rgds

paul

otumay

Yesterday I tried shooting b/w with my DP1 for the first time. I have mixed emotions. Ricoh GRDII does a better job in this respect, utilizing noise to artistic effect, whereas the DP1 suffers above 400 ISO. On the other hand, DP1 has a three-dimensional feel. A sample (heavily post-processed):

busch63

Yesterday, shortly after Germany vs England 4:2 Shot out from the World Cup 2010, in Germany it become tradionell after victories fans driving around thru innercity streets for Autocorso......take a look how it was in Bielefeld: (all ooc, made with old Fuji F100fd, look at Exifs)

pollobarca

Thats what comes from choosing Italian coaches.....
Seriously good luck to Germany! It was deserved. But why are they taking on these Italian
habits of being silly when winning a match?