The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Took New F200EXR for a Walk

Lili

In Frisco, Texas
Found a forlorn feather blowing across the pavement

And tiny flowers the mowers had missed.

Fuji F200exr

Last edited:

Lisa

So you got an F200EXR! Congrats! I got one a few months back, and am quite impressed by how well the auto-EXR mode works. (For those unfamiliar with it, it analyzes the brightness & contrast of the scene and automatically decides whether to use full-resolution mode, or half-resolution mode optimized for larger dynamic range in high-dynamic-range situations, or half-resolution mode optimized for low noise in low-light environments.) I consider it a considerable improvement over my F30, where I would too often get blown-out highlights (or at least poor dynamic range).

I use a DSLR for serious stuff, but I like to have the little Fujifilm in my purse or car for those occasions I didn't bring the big one.

Lisa

Lili

Thanks Lisa! EXR Auto does indeed work as advertised but it eats battery power FAST!
I find it more useful to use EXR DR during the day and EXR SN indoors/at night.
It is an astonishingly capable little camera, IMHO the best compact Fuji has ever done.
Although I do hear very good reports over the F70exr with its 27-270mm-e zoom!

Last edited:

Rawfa

Nice photos, Lili. How about showing us some samples in DR mode (is this how they call the dynamic range mode?).

Lili

Thank you, Rawfa. It is cloudy here today but I will try to find a suitable subject to demonstrate 800% DR!

Lili

I am sorry, that last image is 200% DR not 400%.
I had to review the exif in-camera.
Too grey and cloudy here to day to try for more.
Here is another

S200exr, 200%DR, DR EXR mode, ISO200, 80mm-e 1/140 F4.5
JPEG straight from camera

Lili

Here is a night shot ( very rainy night too ).

ISO 1600, 1/5 sec F3.3, handheld.
SN mode

les

Nice, but can we have a competition about the contents of the takeaway carton? Thai or Indian?

Rawfa

Lili, I've been looking for a compact that I can just slip into my jean pocket and take every where without even noticing and I think the EXR is the answer. I've just bought an F70EXR. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get here but I'll keep you guys posted. I've read some really nice reviews about it. The sensor is supposed to be slightly smaller than the F200, but it has some nice features such as taking two shots to minimize the effects of grain on really dark places, or taking two shots to give you "fake DOF", and of course the 27-270mm lens. Too bad about the limited manual control and slow lens though.

Lili

Les, it is Mexican, LOL
From here

Brisket Tacos actually and a otherwise unchecged jpeg at 2/3 crop, ISO 1600 SN mode
Rawfa the F70EXR is getting some awuflly good press, the special "Pro" modes not withstanding it appears to give IQ very close to that of the F200EXR.
I was about to get the 70 when this 200 came up for a VERY good price.
With the 70 you gain that 10X zoom.
With the 200 it is a bit smaller, has almost nil CA (10x zoom has a bit, hard to avoid with such big zoom range in such a small lens) and slightly better IQ.
You pays your money and takes your chances as they say.
Seriously, either of the EXR compacts are an awesome value (the 70 esp so since its list prices is much less).
Finally here is a DR400% image.

ISO 200, 400% DR, DR mode

Last edited:

Lili

Finally tried manual 800% DR.

ISO, 800% DR, DR Mode, +2/3 exposure, 1/220 at F3.3
jpeg straight from camera

Lili

Osma and Rawfa, thanks.
Here is another *005'er, this time with +1ev comp, straight from camera

les

Brisket Tacos are a new one to me, but sound like the perfect TexMex fusion......results from your Fuji are super, particularly the last one. He/She is a cutie and it looks as if there's the same perfectly symmetrical whiskers as the queen of our household.

Lili

Thanks Les. Trippy is a she. She showed up on our doorstep in the cold rain the spring before last; she could barely walk, form starvation and a peri-birth hip injury. I knelt down and she crawled into my lap and my heart.
She is big now, mostly Maine Coon Cat. Not fat, one of my friends claims she is a long-tailed Bobcat thats how large she is.
SHe is my Shadow, alway by my side at home.
As to the Fuji, it is not superbly controllable device like a G10/11.
Rather it is a carry-anywhere-catch-almost-any-image-camera.
It is very cleverly sorted out and superbly useable.
Its cousin, the F70exr with the 10x lens is even more in the same vein.
With these, Fujis got back to doing what it does best!

Oh, and the Brisket Tacos were nummy :)