The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

vintage small sensor shots

scott kirkpatrick

Here's a challenge. Who can come up with the oldest digicam pictures from the dark ages before the DSLR? Here are two that we saved from August and September 1997 (unassailable historical evidence, but the files have no EXIF and have lost their original dates). They were shot on a fat little Hitachi video camera that had a removable 2.5" hardfile and an MPEG2 hardware encoder that could save up to a full minute of video. 704 x 480 pixels!

4season

From the summer of 1995, a photo from my Apple QuickTake 100, shot in "high quality" mode :D

I don't recall what the original file format was, but at some point, I converted them all to TIFF for archival purposes.

DavidE

This one goes back only to 2002.

It was captured with a Logitech Pocket Digital camera, which is kind of a digital Holga in that image quality is unpredictable. Surprisingly, the camera still works. Photos are saved as BMP files with a 640x480 resolution. That's me on the right in the white shirt.

David