The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FIRE FLASH!! JUST BROKE A BIG ONE

smokysun

see the photos. about 13 miles from me. spotting toward the community of meadow valley. good wind. now has enough heat to build it's on weather.

stay tuned.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

thanks, lili. this may be a big one. night falling. no containment. the aircraft going home. windy. and shifting winds predicted the next two days. here are a few more small jpegs straight from the gx100. (the dp1's need some touching up.)

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
D

ddk

Are you zooming in or is the fire is getting closer to you? Looking at these 13 miles doesn't seem far enough, wish you and everyone else there the best!

smokysun

thanks, cindy, osman, david,
yes, zooming in a bit with the gx100. however, in reality these fires often look even closer than on film! the fire really clear after dark. about two miles plus, long and skinny, trees torching all along it. spot fires came from embers falling out of the air on dry ground. about midnight the fire lay down as the wind switched to the opposite direction (northeast) and an inversion of high pressure set in. planes already working the fires this morning. the inversion will lift later. the long length of makes it predictably unstable. probably several hundred firefighters on it already. here's a bit more information:

http://yubanet.com/nevada/Silver.php

thanks again. it's always a matter of luck!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. a shot from this morning. the sleeping giant? there's a town under all that smoke.

and the site for a neighboring lookout, a well-known photographer.

http://www.pbase.com/pygmyhippo/saddleback_fire_lookout_2009&page=all

Last edited:

Diane B

Stay safe. I've only seen 2 forest fires. Many years ago I worked in Sequoia Nat'l Park and we were isolated from Visalia with fire and a smaller one the other way out--considered taking us out by helicopter (and we all had our small allowables) but they, fortunately, got the fire under control The other was in our own forests here in western NC--and we could see the smoke and flames from our house--though it was probably 10 miles away. Not nearly as large as the Sequoia fire but scary because it skipped over an interstate and headed for a small town.

The west has taken a beating this year.

Diane

smokysun

hi diane,
thanks for your concern. when i first got this job, i thought it would be easy to control nature. i've since learned otherwise. the fire has looked pretty good all day, but...the forecast northwinds are beginning to bend the smoke southwards. they've a wet line around it, however that could be very tenuous if the winds hit 20-30 tonight and tomorrow, as predicted.
here are a couple of extreme crops from the dp1 and the gx100. this is where the first shows it's superior resolution. the fire is about two miles long.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i'll throw in a pic i just took downstairs. the saint surrounded by fire, while the cat looks on, cool as a cucumber. and nearby a fra angelico.

Last edited:
N

nei1

Wayne,these two b&w crops are both interesting.Could you tell me ;roughly,what size print you would get ,I mean a rteal print, not looking on a screen,to retain this same quality visually........best to you,Neil.

smokysun

hi neil,
i think these days there may be no rules, depending on the detail in the files. this just arrived in the mail:

http://www.amazon.com/Nash-Editions...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253543481&sr=8-1

it is amazing what can be done, even with an old snapshot.

for example, for a theater picture show i had some of these developed at 16 by 20 inches:

http://www.pbase.com/wwp/blue

and among the 300 or so photos of all kinds of shapes and colors, they were many people's favorite. (had it done at costco. they've thirty thousand dollar machines, archival paper, and you can't beat their prices. don't know if you have costco in england. a large wholesale series of stores.)

thanks for examining them! processed in cs3.

wayne
www.pbase.com