Site Sponsors

Thread: Hello

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Hi All,

I have just this weekend signed up to this forum after visiting a few times in the past weeks and have been refreshingly impressed with the posts and threads that people are contributing.

About a month ago my M8 had to go back to Solms for repair (the LEDs in the viewfinder stopped working) so I treated myself to a GRD2. I have to say that I am very impressed with the layout of the camera controls and it truly is a discreet, pocketable camera. I have been somewhat spoiled with the M8 DNG files however and I am struggling to beat the GRD2's JPEG engine with my RAW processing at the moment. I am using C1 and the neutral DNG profiles.

Anyway, attached are a few images I have taken with the camera. If you have any thoughts or comments please feel free to reply.

Christi Mac

Re: Hello

Hi Ed

From one Newby to another welcome It's proving to be a really rather positive forum for discussion I have to say.

I absolutely love the middle and last shots of your selection. The black and white one in particular just keeps drawing me back to it. I'm a fan of black and white reportage style shots for which the Ricoh seems perfectly suited. I'm planning on either a CRD2 or a gx100 by the end of the month and this is reinforcing my leanings I have to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely Love shots 3 & 5
    I'm in TOTAL agreement & hooked just like Christi
    Cheers ! Helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Ed! Very nice shots, especially the third one, great timing. Your samples along with so many others I've seen here, are building an unhealthy desire in me (for a GRD).

Cheers!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the forum. I also like 3 and 5 best.

I picked the GX-100 as a companion to my M8 and MP. I am really enjoying having it in my purse all the time and it is nice to not always be dragging a big camera bag along...just in case. I'm always ready now.
    I shoot raw and use the JFI profiles (http://jfilabs.com/) in C1 v4 to process most of the time. If I want a color shot (rarely), I use Lightroom to process.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 17th March 2008 at 05:21.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed,
    Welcome to the Forum!!
    Great shots, especially that last one!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Christi, Helen, Tim, Cindy and Lilly,

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome and encouraging responses to the images I posted. It is always nice to know you are on the right tracks!

Cindy,

I am very curious about the JPI profiles. I saw two articles on reidreviews about them and I suspect I will buy them. Is there a particular reason you dont use C1 for the colour conversions?

Christi,

I am sure you are well aware of the virtues of the Ricoh cameras you mention. I think either camera will be a good choice. I personally went for the GRD2 as I liked the high contrast lens, high ISO performance and did not feel restricted with the fixed lens. I may get the conversion lenses in time though ...

Tim,

Good luck wrestling with your desires!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post
    Hi Christi, Helen, Tim, Cindy and Lilly,

Cindy,

I am very curious about the JPI profiles. I saw two articles on reidreviews about them and I suspect I will buy them. Is there a particular reason you dont use C1 for the colour conversions?

Christi,

Christi,
    My workflow consists of reading all my keepers into Lightroom. If I really like a shot, then I process it in C1 v4 and find out which one I like better. Generally, with the GX-100, I use B+W. The JFI profiles do a much better conversion than Lightroom. I find Lightroom works just fine for the GX-100 color, so I just stick to LR. Many times though, the C1 conversion is much nicer in color with M8 files. YMMV.

VladimirV

Welcome to the forum.
    I really like your b&w picture, reminds me of CHB's pictures with the contrast and slight softness in the background. And I like the muted colors and sharpness in the last picture.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the third one, has a nice feeling to it. BTW Welcome to GetDPI. Have Fun
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I like the third one, has a nice feeling to it. BTW Welcome to GetDPI. Have Fun
    Yes, the third (B/W) one is my favourite too. Bot its a strong collection altogether! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Christi,
    My workflow consists of reading all my keepers into Lightroom. If I really like a shot, then I process it in C1 v4 and find out which one I like better. Generally, with the GX-100, I use B+W. The JFI profiles do a much better conversion than Lightroom. I find Lightroom works just fine for the GX-100 color, so I just stick to LR. Many times though, the C1 conversion is much nicer in color with M8 files. YMMV.

Whoops, sorry, Ed. I meant to address this to you. Please forgive me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vladimir and Per,

Thanks for the responses. It is interesting to see that people seem to have a strong preference for the B&W image.

Guy,

Thanks for the comment and also for activating my account here. It is a very useful service you provide for people here and very much appreciated.

Cindy,

Thanks for your further details and obviously you are forgiven!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ed!

I like the shot with the graffiti; it reminded me of Berlin.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your response.

I have never made it to Berlin as yet but it is certainly on my list. The trouble is of course, most places are!