The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hello

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I have just this weekend signed up to this forum after visiting a few times in the past weeks and have been refreshingly impressed with the posts and threads that people are contributing.

About a month ago my M8 had to go back to Solms for repair (the LEDs in the viewfinder stopped working) so I treated myself to a GRD2. I have to say that I am very impressed with the layout of the camera controls and it truly is a discreet, pocketable camera. I have been somewhat spoiled with the M8 DNG files however and I am struggling to beat the GRD2's JPEG engine with my RAW processing at the moment. I am using C1 and the neutral DNG profiles.

Anyway, attached are a few images I have taken with the camera. If you have any thoughts or comments please feel free to reply.

C

Christi Mac

Hi Ed

From one Newby to another welcome :) It's proving to be a really rather positive forum for discussion I have to say.

I absolutely love the middle and last shots of your selection. The black and white one in particular just keeps drawing me back to it. I'm a fan of black and white reportage style shots for which the Ricoh seems perfectly suited. I'm planning on either a CRD2 or a gx100 by the end of the month and this is reinforcing my leanings I have to say.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Hello Ed! Very nice shots, especially the third one, great timing. Your samples along with so many others I've seen here, are building an unhealthy desire in me (for a GRD).

Cheers!
Tim

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. I also like 3 and 5 best.

I picked the GX-100 as a companion to my M8 and MP. I am really enjoying having it in my purse all the time and it is nice to not always be dragging a big camera bag along...just in case. I'm always ready now.
I shoot raw and use the JFI profiles (http://jfilabs.com/) in C1 v4 to process most of the time. If I want a color shot (rarely), I use Lightroom to process.

Last edited:

ecliffordsmith

Hi Christi, Helen, Tim, Cindy and Lilly,

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome and encouraging responses to the images I posted. It is always nice to know you are on the right tracks!

Cindy,

I am very curious about the JPI profiles. I saw two articles on reidreviews about them and I suspect I will buy them. Is there a particular reason you dont use C1 for the colour conversions?

Christi,

I am sure you are well aware of the virtues of the Ricoh cameras you mention. I think either camera will be a good choice. I personally went for the GRD2 as I liked the high contrast lens, high ISO performance and did not feel restricted with the fixed lens. I may get the conversion lenses in time though ...

Tim,

Good luck wrestling with your desires!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Christi, Helen, Tim, Cindy and Lilly,

Cindy,

I am very curious about the JPI profiles. I saw two articles on reidreviews about them and I suspect I will buy them. Is there a particular reason you dont use C1 for the colour conversions?

Christi,

Christi,
My workflow consists of reading all my keepers into Lightroom. If I really like a shot, then I process it in C1 v4 and find out which one I like better. Generally, with the GX-100, I use B+W. The JFI profiles do a much better conversion than Lightroom. I find Lightroom works just fine for the GX-100 color, so I just stick to LR. Many times though, the C1 conversion is much nicer in color with M8 files. YMMV.

V

VladimirV

Welcome to the forum.
I really like your b&w picture, reminds me of CHB's pictures with the contrast and slight softness in the background. And I like the muted colors and sharpness in the last picture.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Christi,
My workflow consists of reading all my keepers into Lightroom. If I really like a shot, then I process it in C1 v4 and find out which one I like better. Generally, with the GX-100, I use B+W. The JFI profiles do a much better conversion than Lightroom. I find Lightroom works just fine for the GX-100 color, so I just stick to LR. Many times though, the C1 conversion is much nicer in color with M8 files. YMMV.

Whoops, sorry, Ed. I meant to address this to you. Please forgive me.:angel:

ecliffordsmith

Hi Vladimir and Per,

Thanks for the responses. It is interesting to see that people seem to have a strong preference for the B&W image.

Guy,

Thanks for the comment and also for activating my account here. It is a very useful service you provide for people here and very much appreciated.

Cindy,

Thanks for your further details and obviously you are forgiven!

ecliffordsmith

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your response.

I have never made it to Berlin as yet but it is certainly on my list. The trouble is of course, most places are!