Site Sponsors

Thread: An Abstract experiment

dickinsonjon

An Abstract experiment

I've been learning the tools a little, using GIMP to adjust the curves on B&W images to get a balanced look on abstract compositions. Here's an example - taken with the venerable Finepix Z1 - I'd appreciate some Small Sensor folks feedback if that's OK?

Cheers
    JD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: An Abstract experiment

Well, never mind what you did to the image; I like it as shown! Texture, garayscale, and composition are good.

Mitch Alland

I like the textures and the tones, but wouldn't call the picture abstract for it simply is not that.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure abstract is the right word either. It reminds me a bit of the M.C. Escher drawings, teetering between viewpoints. As in, am I looking down or looking up?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon,

Nicely treated image here. I like the composition and as I follow the pipe I start to wonder whether I am looking up or down.

dickinsonjon

Thanks for the feedback folks. Mitch, you're right of course, it's not abstract, I used the word ill-advisedly. There's another word I should have used, but can't quite put my finger on.....

Cheers
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dickinsonjon View Post
    There's another word I should have used, but can't quite put my finger on.....
    Maybe the word would be minimal? Though the content is recognizable, the composition and tonal values are reduced to the bare essentials. That's why I like it.

dickinsonjon

Minimal - yes, pretty much sums up the composition, I'll use that word in future!

Cheers
    JD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How bout ' INDUSTRIAL GRUNGE'
    and Yes, Lovely Tones and Patina
    Cheers !....... Helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 18th March 2008 at 15:43.

Post Thanks / Like

just call it art

dickinsonjon

Yup, art will do I think. I think I used the term abstract initially as the shot was taken in a staircase which I walk up and down two or three times every working day, yet it is not within that context to the casual observer. That's the thing I like about small cameras, sometimes an opportunity presents itself when I am in surroundings I see every day, yet with the right attitude, there is always something new. I would never be carrying an SLR in many of these situations, so it's shot or no shot. And to be honest, the mainstream enthusiast DSLR shooter ethic appears to be about going to a pre-determined place to capture a technically perfect image of something that may well have been short in a similar fashion countless times before. The small camera lends itself to the capture of unique moments in time, and hence the moods and feelings that they can conjure in the mind's eye of the viewer.

Did I just 'go off on one' there? :-)

Cheers
    JD