The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

what can you do with hdr?

smokysun

by accident, recently acquired a copy of photomatrix pro. has anyone experimented with it? actually, you can do it in paint shop pro and photoshop. here's several tries from today.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Rawfa

Wayne, these don't look too HDRish. But don't worry, The DP1 it self is almost HDR ;-)

pollobarca

Wayne,
I've used trial versions of HDR.Nothing has convinced me to buy one yet.
first shot is just the picture run through Rawtherapee

second is the same pic run through silkypix to obtain 3 different exposure settings then the pic wass blended using Dynamicphoto HDR.

GX100 with the Nikon wce68 converter.

I have tried several trial versions of HDR software. The easiest to use , for me, was Dynamicphoto HDR. There is a very nice freeware around too.

The thing to avoid , I believe, is the very unnatural look that many HDR pictures have.
this one is near to the limit, again a single shot run through silkypix to obtain 3 different exposure values.

The set is here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157605732557045/

all the best

paul

pellicle

Hi

lots ... mostly I like it for being able to give me better shadow noise and toe / shoulder responce.

for black and white I find that I just use film :)

smokysun

with increased tonal contrast the dp1 images can change into hdr!

in all the books to me the hdr images look like animated film sets.

that said, you can use it to emphasis odd relationships, bringing out hidden aspects, or hiding the obvious to find a mystery.

you know, though, it does seem like an awful lot of work for what you get.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

pollobarca

with increased tonal contrast the dp1 images can change into hdr!

in all the books to me the hdr images look like animated film sets.

that said, you can use it to emphasis odd relationships, bringing out hidden aspects, or hiding the obvious to find a mystery.

you know, though, it does seem like an awful lot of work for what you get.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Dead right Wayne.If you set up and take 3 or 5 shots to merge theres always something moving ( tree branches and leaves are a pain or kiddies running into the picture) . Then if you make 3 different JPG's its work. That said some pictures do benefit, like my aeroplane shot. But not enough to justify outlay on some software.

b rgds

paul

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The DP cameras do have a very unique appearance to their images.
Maybe it's not true HDR but then again the images all appear like that.
With that HDR stuff, usually it's static, boring images due to the process.

I have never really been turned on by that stuff...
But then I'm more of a straight shooter.

Wayne, you were doing some things with the DP some time ago where the images looked like paint. That was interesting to gaze upon...
Don

smokysun

thanks, don. always experimenting. terrific storm shaking the tower. most lookouts closed. expect i will once this passes. here are a few hdrs from yesterday and today. one i accidentally mixed pictures. interesting idea.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

storm still blowing. will probably close down in a day or two. the wind last nite probably had 100 mile an hour gusts. not doing too bad right now! glad it's been a warm one. yesterday's snow melted off and during the night i had to turn down the heat.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
as always a treat for the eyes......
Would you mind if I used a few for my class this weekend?
I have some students that would love your vision....
Don

smokysun

don, please do. i'd be flattered. took some more this eve and am starting to put them together. i hope to be here for another day or two. it's been a wild, warmish storm. a real pleasure.
wayne

D

D upton-Hackett.

wayne my eyes are wide open at these lovely shots, OoooHooo.

Derek.