The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 First Impressions and Examples

D

dickinsonjon

I've had the LX3 for a week now and I'm very happy with it. Low light work is good, and the f/2 lens allows minimum ISO in many situations. All these example shots were shot as raw and processed with Lightoom 2.4 which is my PP tool of choice for all my cameras and suits my workflow well. The LX3 raw files stand up to a fair amount of processing without falling to pieces, which is quite heartening. All in all, a very satisfying camera to keep in my pocket.

Cheers
JD

nostatic

Nice shots. I have the Leica brother and have been happy though I may give it to my g/f as she lusts after it and got my DLux3 when I got the 4. The problem is I don't know what I'd replace it with that I'd like as much.

I'm gonna have to switch to LR...I rarely shoot raw with the DLux4 as Aperture doesn't support the files...

DjordjeJ

Excelent shots. I had LX3 and sold it to purchase E-P1. I miss it, so might buy it again sometime. Best compact camera I ever had.

Rawfa

Relly nice shots. Dpreview has just posted a review of the GF1 and they throw in the LX3 for comparison. I'm amazed of how well the LX3 has performed up to iso 400 against the likes of the E-P1 and the GF1 (with even iso 800 not been SUPER superior). Some of my best shots were taken with an LX3 and a DP1 on a trip to China. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Canon S90 can do though. The advantages I see are the longer zoom range, the ring control, the fact that it doesn't have a removable lens cap, and the fact that it's REALLY compact (I have to strugle a little bit to fit my LX3 in my jeans pocket).

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi JD,

Quite a varied set of work you have there ! I like the toning in #1, though the subject of #2 is really my favourite. The macro is also very nice.

You're right about the LX3 files: they can suffer quite a bit of mishandling afterwards. I was quite surprised when I worked on my language border pictures: just pushing the dark areas of the JPG files already did wonders. It seems to be a camera where I can expose for the highlights and develop for the blacks. All in all, a lot is possible afterwards, which is great.

What I'm starting to like most, is the relaxed way of working. Being very compact, I can carry it everywhere (and frequently do). As I'm getting used to working with an LCD, I find I can still work seriously, but it still feels more relaxed than with a VF. I've already stuck my LX3 through fences or held it over undergrowth to get the angle I wanted. Not something I can do when my head is tied to the camera :ROTFL: The zoom that goes from a very usable wide angle to a short portrait lens, is ideal.

Things I have to get used to are (minor quibbles): the AF, which is quite fast but still means I have to wait. With an MF camera, I had to do the focus myself, so no wait involved :D Also, shooting raw+JPG with a 3 shot bracket, the camera needs a bit of time to write all the data to the memory card. I'm using a class 6 and it's bleeding fast in my PC at work. I guess it forces me to reconsider the next scene. Finally, I'm not a fan of AF assist lights: the subject will notice it and start posing. Maybe I should try MF on the LX3.

Anyway, good post. Keep them coming ! I find it inspiring to see how different people work in different ways: it helps me find my own style.

Peter.

D

dickinsonjon

Thanks for the kind words all. I tend to a fairly wide variety of shots, I'm currently looking for recurring themes to rear their heads. Last time that happened I made a Blurb book of the results - the Metropolitan Line, oldest railway in London. There's a link to it (and loads of photographs) on my website, http://fingerwolf.co.uk

W

wbrandsma

Hi Jon, Wonderful photographs. And I really love the last one. I see a theme of ceilings and lights coming up.

D

dickinsonjon

Wouter thanks for the kind words, yes, ceilings......

Apologies for the unavailable photos at the top of this thread, I am refreshing my flickr storage as it has become a mess in there. I will re-post the images later this weekend, unfortunately I cannot edit the original post.

D

dickinsonjon

At last, I have finished re-uploading my stuff to flickr, it is now watermarked, not the best from the aesthetic point of view, but sensible nevertheless.

jonoslack

I'm gonna have to switch to LR...I rarely shoot raw with the DLux4 as Aperture doesn't support the files...
Don't do this lightly!
I'm in the same position as you . . . and I've bought a GF1 as well (which also only works in Lightroom). I really intended to change over.

But - I spent a couple of days recently looking at prints, trying to do gallery exports, dealing with itpc information, despotting. Lightroom has lots of good things about it (lots).

I'm not going to do it. I can't see how Apple can simply ignore m4/3 in the longer term. In the meantime, I'm using lightroom for dealing with raws on the d-lux4 and the GF1, converting to .tif and then doing my normal business in Aperture.

jonoslack

At last, I have finished re-uploading my stuff to flickr, it is now watermarked, not the best from the aesthetic point of view, but sensible nevertheless.
HI Jon
lovely shots, but the watermarking is really disturbing . . . is it really that necessary?

D

dickinsonjon

I'm not sure it is, now you mention it Jono. Hmmmm.... perhaps another refresh is in order...

D

dickinsonjon

You're right Jono, I have dropped the watermarks, they completely detract from the photograph. Bad idea!

Here are the relinked photos: