Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: First GX-100 pics ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    First GX-100 pics ...

    Taken over the week-end in a fairly seedy pub, at a very wet train station, and finally in the city (Nottingham or as my daughter calls it - Shottingham..)

    Compared to the D Lux-3 that I have, the little Ricoh has so many merits in handling and use of the controls and I am finding it liberating to be able to use it as a simple recording / sketch device in all sorts of situations. The noise doesn't bother me one bit as I see more detail in the high ISO images instead of smear, and it just suits the subjects.

    Here are some examples for C & C ...
    Many taken blind as you can imagine ... from the hip or other discrete position - what a great little camera !




















  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    no pics

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    How odd ...
    I'm seeing all the pics. I used the insert image symbol ...
    Wonder what I'm doing wrong. Is there any help section?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    How odd ...
    I'm seeing all the pics. I used the insert image symbol ...
    Wonder what I'm doing wrong. Is there any help section?
    Last edited by rich s; 19th March 2008 at 17:00. Reason: No pics showing

  5. #5
    Member Owen_Coors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    I'm only seeing red x's...no photos.

    Owen

  6. #6
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Are they linked to private/hidden images in flickr or a similar service like pBase? That could explain why you see them, but no one else does.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DavidE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    I can see them.

    They have a relaxed you-are-there quality. I especially like the pub pictures (#1, #2, and #6) and the train station pictures (#3 and #5).

    The first one is about as far away from a "say cheese" portrait as you're likely to find. I would have thought the guy was drunk if I hadn't seen him with a more normal expression in the second photo.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    I can see them.

    They have a relaxed you-are-there quality. I especially like the pub pictures (#1, #2, and #6) and the train station pictures (#3 and #5).

    The first one is about as far away from a "say cheese" portrait as you're likely to find. I would have thought the guy was drunk if I hadn't seen him with a more normal expression in the second photo.
    Yes - the bloke in the pub on the stool was a lively guy with great expression, watching the Italy v Scotland Rugby. Not drunk , but very animated!

    Still don't understand why the pics wouldn't show until now. V.odd.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC Metro area
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Still can't see them, but I'd like to see them.

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member TRSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Maine, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    I was able to view them one at a time by holding the control key (mac) and clicking, then selecting view image in a new window. Slow, but it does work. Otherwise I just see a ?

  11. #11
    Member Arjuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    On my Mac (OSX 10.4.11), I see no pictures in Camino or Firefox.

    In Safari I get little blue question mark boxes; control clicking, Open Image in New Window gives me a 403 message: "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /o6/29/3029/1/94407648.JpW0iGOW.2blokes.jpg on this server.", control clicking, Open Image in New Tab, works.

    In Camino, I viewed source, found the links, pasted them, that worked, and when I went back to the forum page, the ones that I had looked at were now showing?

  12. #12
    SimonL
    Guest

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Nope, nothing to see here........ move along


  13. #13
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    I think I'm beginning to see them in my mind.... yes, they're very good. I like the second one at the markets. Why was the man shouting, do you know? I like the way the lady is threatening him back with a large mackerel, but he only has what looks like a couple of sardines in his hands...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Lets try again ....!

    This was one sober, but very animated guy watching the Italy v Scotland Rugby








    Now this guy did have a touch too much to drink ....
    He was actually telling everyone about all the belts he owned ....





    Late night at the station waiting to collect my daughter





    Finally - a couple taken in the city





    Thanks for looking - got there in the end!
    Last edited by rich s; 20th March 2008 at 05:48.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Great stuff Rich, thanks for sharing... were the headless shots intentional? or would you have preferred to capture their faces also?

    Looks like fun!

    Kind Regards

    Brian

  16. #16
    Senior Member DavidE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    While I can see the photos in the first post when I browse with Firefox, I don't seem them when I browse with Internet Explorer. I was using the same PC both times.

    Looks like the no-show problem may be browser related.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC Metro area
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    That worked, Rich.

    And so did the GX100. Good feel on the pub shots especially.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Hi Brian,

    Its all experimental stuff at the moment, I wanted to carry the camera low down to get a different viewpoint, as well as trying to shoot blind and get an exposure that isn't blown out by a large sky element - hence the headless shots! Focussing on bodies instead of faces can also give more visual clues about people - notably the lad wearing the vibrant jeans!

    But great fun and a big challenge with the GX.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
    That worked, Rich.

    And so did the GX100. Good feel on the pub shots especially.
    Thanks Michael.
    I am much preferring the GX-100 to the D Lux-3 that I've had for some time. Vastly better controls and handling, and the detail is all there even at ISO 800 - no nasty smearing.

    I'm finding the GX really suits the low light pub type shots, especially when the lighting works along with the subject. Its good incentive to frequent the shadier pubs in the towns where the real characters roam ...!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    While I can see the photos in the first post when I browse with Firefox, I don't seem them when I browse with Internet Explorer. I was using the same PC both times.

    Looks like the no-show problem may be browser related.
    Should be working now David ..
    My new post is showing all the images OK on Internet Explorer, and others seem to be viewing OK.

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Ooooooo
    I can see 'em now!!!!
    Very much fun, animated people in public, cool shots.
    I love most though, that lonely, hooded figure with the bag waiting on the train platform.
    The motion blur of the train really adds to the atmosphere

  22. #22
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Now I see the real stuff - they are indeed good. What a face on the first one!! I'm disappointed you didn't re-post my favourite Argument With Fish picture, though.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    Now I see the real stuff - they are indeed good. What a face on the first one!! I'm disappointed you didn't re-post my favourite Argument With Fish picture, though.
    Glad the pics can be seen now!
    I'm struggling to find the pic you are describing - man at market shouting with fish holding lady ....?! I have nothing like that - maybe a different post?

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Ooooooo
    I can see 'em now!!!!
    Very much fun, animated people in public, cool shots.
    I love most though, that lonely, hooded figure with the bag waiting on the train platform.
    The motion blur of the train really adds to the atmosphere
    - at last they can be viewed! I was copying the right clicked image properties URL and not the image browser URL ... oh well.

    HI Lili!

    The figure in front of the train was with ISO 800 1/16 sec - I love the controls on this little Ricoh - selecting and adjusting is so easy when you are having to react quickly to light and subject changes.

    How well this one works I'm not sure - more impressionist than anything else ..



    or this one, so OOF but it kind of helps to animate it perhaps ..



  25. #25
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Rich, it's funny... I like the first shot here most of all!

    Well Done, and keep posting

    Kind Regards

    Brian

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Rich
    I very much like the second one, the motion is cool.
    Lili
    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    - at last they can be viewed! I was copying the right clicked image properties URL and not the image browser URL ... oh well.

    HI Lili!

    The figure in front of the train was with ISO 800 1/16 sec - I love the controls on this little Ricoh - selecting and adjusting is so easy when you are having to react quickly to light and subject changes.

    How well this one works I'm not sure - more impressionist than anything else ..



    or this one, so OOF but it kind of helps to animate it perhaps ..



  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC Metro area
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Top photo in the new pair -- very good.

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Rich, it's funny... I like the first shot here most of all!

    Well Done, and keep posting

    Kind Regards

    Brian

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks!
    Since I keep finding myself in strange late night places due to my daughter missing her trains to Newcastle and back, I'm building up a good stock of grainy OOF pics!! A slow walk round Newark to kill more time this evening - a place rich in photo opportunities ...!

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
    Top photo in the new pair -- very good.
    Thanks Michael.
    I seem to recall that was quite a snatched shot .. the camera movement was due to the station master pushing past me in hot pursuit of a lad full of ale, who had jumped onto the tracks to reach the opposite platform ....

    So not quite intentional, but the result was ... interesting.
    But incidents like that are part of the deal with close street shots, and all part of the fun!

  30. #30
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    I'm struggling to find the pic you are describing - man at market shouting with fish holding lady ....?! I have nothing like that - maybe a different post?
    That's just the picture I imagined seeing when none of your pictures were actually showing up yet. I must have been seeing a future picture of yours that you haven't taken yet - sorry for the confusion

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Rich
    I very much like the second one, the motion is cool.
    Lili
    Hi Lili

    Thank you - glad you like them.

    I does make me wonder sometimes, when I have some very costly DSLR kit, a modest little cam like the GX-100 can bring in some remarkable images that are sometimes very much more in tune with our observation.

    But as I mentioned to Brian yesterday, the downside was being stopped in the park by the Police - eager to find out what I been taking snaps of .. Fortunately nothing more sinister than some twisted tree roots, and some distant people shots, but my details were taken and images inspected. What a sign of the times.

  32. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kai.e.g. View Post
    That's just the picture I imagined seeing when none of your pictures were actually showing up yet. I must have been seeing a future picture of yours that you haven't taken yet - sorry for the confusion
    Aha ...! I can see that I need to get down to the market & find that image !!
    Sounds very appealing. I'm in France next week so maybe its waiting for me there!

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: First GX-100 pics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    Hi Lili

    Thank you - glad you like them.

    I does make me wonder sometimes, when I have some very costly DSLR kit, a modest little cam like the GX-100 can bring in some remarkable images that are sometimes very much more in tune with our observation.

    But as I mentioned to Brian yesterday, the downside was being stopped in the park by the Police - eager to find out what I been taking snaps of .. Fortunately nothing more sinister than some twisted tree roots, and some distant people shots, but my details were taken and images inspected. What a sign of the times.
    These little cameras are nice aren't they?
    As to your Police encounter, that is messed up.
    It is not that bad here...yet.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •