The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First GX-100 pics ...

rich s

Taken over the week-end in a fairly seedy pub, at a very wet train station, and finally in the city (Nottingham or as my daughter calls it - Shottingham..)

Compared to the D Lux-3 that I have, the little Ricoh has so many merits in handling and use of the controls and I am finding it liberating to be able to use it as a simple recording / sketch device in all sorts of situations. The noise doesn't bother me one bit as I see more detail in the high ISO images instead of smear, and it just suits the subjects.

Here are some examples for C & C ...
Many taken blind as you can imagine ... from the hip or other discrete position - what a great little camera !

rich s

How odd ...
I'm seeing all the pics. I used the insert image symbol ...
Wonder what I'm doing wrong. Is there any help section?

kai.e.g.

Are they linked to private/hidden images in flickr or a similar service like pBase? That could explain why you see them, but no one else does.

DavidE

I can see them.

They have a relaxed you-are-there quality. I especially like the pub pictures (#1, #2, and #6) and the train station pictures (#3 and #5).

The first one is about as far away from a "say cheese" portrait as you're likely to find. I would have thought the guy was drunk if I hadn't seen him with a more normal expression in the second photo.

rich s

I can see them.

They have a relaxed you-are-there quality. I especially like the pub pictures (#1, #2, and #6) and the train station pictures (#3 and #5).

The first one is about as far away from a "say cheese" portrait as you're likely to find. I would have thought the guy was drunk if I hadn't seen him with a more normal expression in the second photo.
Yes - the bloke in the pub on the stool was a lively guy with great expression, watching the Italy v Scotland Rugby. Not drunk , but very animated!

Still don't understand why the pics wouldn't show until now. V.odd. :mad:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I was able to view them one at a time by holding the control key (mac) and clicking, then selecting view image in a new window. Slow, but it does work. Otherwise I just see a ?

Arjuna

On my Mac (OSX 10.4.11), I see no pictures in Camino or Firefox.

In Safari I get little blue question mark boxes; control clicking, Open Image in New Window gives me a 403 message: "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /o6/29/3029/1/94407648.JpW0iGOW.2blokes.jpg on this server.", control clicking, Open Image in New Tab, works.

In Camino, I viewed source, found the links, pasted them, that worked, and when I went back to the forum page, the ones that I had looked at were now showing?

kai.e.g.

I think I'm beginning to see them in my mind.... yes, they're very good. I like the second one at the markets. Why was the man shouting, do you know? I like the way the lady is threatening him back with a large mackerel, but he only has what looks like a couple of sardines in his hands...

rich s

Lets try again ....!

This was one sober, but very animated guy watching the Italy v Scotland Rugby

Now this guy did have a touch too much to drink ....
He was actually telling everyone about all the belts he owned ....

Late night at the station waiting to collect my daughter

Finally - a couple taken in the city

Thanks for looking - got there in the end!

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Great stuff Rich, thanks for sharing... were the headless shots intentional? or would you have preferred to capture their faces also?

Looks like fun!

Kind Regards

Brian

DavidE

While I can see the photos in the first post when I browse with Firefox, I don't seem them when I browse with Internet Explorer. I was using the same PC both times.

Looks like the no-show problem may be browser related.

rich s

Hi Brian,

Its all experimental stuff at the moment, I wanted to carry the camera low down to get a different viewpoint, as well as trying to shoot blind and get an exposure that isn't blown out by a large sky element - hence the headless shots! Focussing on bodies instead of faces can also give more visual clues about people - notably the lad wearing the vibrant jeans!

But great fun and a big challenge with the GX.

rich s

That worked, Rich.

And so did the GX100. Good feel on the pub shots especially.
Thanks Michael.
I am much preferring the GX-100 to the D Lux-3 that I've had for some time. Vastly better controls and handling, and the detail is all there even at ISO 800 - no nasty smearing.

I'm finding the GX really suits the low light pub type shots, especially when the lighting works along with the subject. Its good incentive to frequent the shadier pubs in the towns where the real characters roam ...! :eek:

rich s

While I can see the photos in the first post when I browse with Firefox, I don't seem them when I browse with Internet Explorer. I was using the same PC both times.

Looks like the no-show problem may be browser related.
Should be working now David ..
My new post is showing all the images OK on Internet Explorer, and others seem to be viewing OK.