The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snap Focus at parties/events

D

dickinsonjon

I'm leaning toward the GX100 right now, and one of the many attractions to me is the snap focus/MF options. I'd like an idea, if any of you have such experience, how good this is in action, say you're at a party and want to cruise around taking shots of people having a good time. I've been asked to do just that at my sister-in-law's wedding this summer, and judging by most compacts I've used, I either need a DSLR or a snap/MF compact.

Anyone used the GX100 in this environment and come out happy with good shots? The main thing I find with slow cameras is people 'going off the boil' when you have to ask them to stay still for the shot.

Thanks
JD

Is there a way to make the GX100 remember a MF setting after it has powered down?

That´s a problem with my Dlux 3: one can MF and use it for quick action as long as it remains powered up - but once it shuts down and you wake it up, it is now focussed at infinity (still in MF), not the distance you had chosen for a "snap" setting.

Only way around this seems to be deactivating auto shutdown - and carry heaps of batteries....

Or to use the big, old Digilux 2....

pollobarca

Is there a way to make the GX100 remember a MF setting after it has powered down?

That´s a problem with my Dlux 3: one can MF and use it for quick action as long as it remains powered up - but once it shuts down and you wake it up, it is now focussed at infinity (still in MF), not the distance you had chosen for a "snap" setting.

Only way around this seems to be deactivating auto shutdown - and carry heaps of batteries....

Or to use the big, old Digilux 2....
THE GX100
Go into menus
set up
Reg My settings

save your setting.
then when you Powerup
Go to either MY 1 or My2 (according to where you saved your setting):angel:

b rgds

paul

THE GX100
Go into menus
set up
Reg My settings

save your setting.
then when you Powerup
Go to either MY 1 or My2 (according to where you saved your setting):angel:

b rgds

paul
OK, then there´s a difference; Dlux 3 has no "My settings" (Memory banks).

One up for Ricoh, then... :confused:

Great to have that Digilux 2....

D

dickinsonjon

pollobarca, any experience related to my OP question?

pollobarca

pollobarca, any experience related to my OP question?
Afraid not,but I've taken a few shots on the street in low light or in bars and the office/warehouse.
With the LCD on this camera you can hold the camera at waist height ,see what youre doing,and chat to people,get them smiling and take pic after pic without them realising.:rolleyes:
Here I strolled around the office taking pix for the company magazine.
Much the same sort of idea as going round a party.I didnt use snap focus.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/2180843041/in/set-72157603675843140/
Go up the set to get the idea.I used 2 cameras.an oly c5050 and the GX100.
The Ricoh pix were published this time.
You do need to keep talking to the people youre photographing,say daft things and get them laughing and participating.
The focus light gives the game away on sneaky shots,so its best to be open
and talk and snap.

In low light the GX100 works well,the flash is not so good although
you can put an external on with a flash bracket or on the hot shoe direct.I find flash ,if used discretely, doesnt worry too much.You need to be able to bounce the flash.I've only used the Olyc5050 like this so far-next party it'll be the Ricoh.Surprisingly my Oly fl40 flash creates less problems than an internal flash,with better results.

A low light bar pic with the Ricoh:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/2190151059/in/set-72157603708818465/

You do need to practice a lot with this camera to get results.Hang around pubs or stroll around the office taking pix-if you can .Out on the street at night too:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/2238966529/in/set-72157603465949329/
I am only now starting to try snap focus.I've had the camera 3 months.
It works well.I've hardly used MF,only on Macro.

You wont regret getting this camera-its a jewel.

b rgds

paul

D

dickinsonjon

Thanks Paul, like the example shots too. I'm now really struggling to find reasons not to buy the GX100! Hopefully will free up some spending money in the next month or two...

Thanks
JD