The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 vs E-P1

Rawfa

Here's a quick sample of what the LX3 vs E-P1. It's not really a decent comparison since these photos were taken like 2 month apart, one is RAW (the LX3) and the other is JPEG, and they've had different slightly treatments (I've given the E-P1 a warmer touch). But anyway...

P.S - I hope it's ok for me to have posted this on the micro 4/3 and the small sensor sections, since I think people from both worlds will be interested

s.agar

Thanks for posting.
As you have pointed out, the photos are not comparable in any way (also because of their small size).
The E-P1 is very warm on my monitor, so I "had" to prefer the LX3.

Seyhun

Rawfa

Don, I don't have the E-P1 anymore, so no luck in posting iso 1250 :(
I do have iso 1600 from both, but under very different circumstances. I find iso 1600 from the E-P1 perfectly usable with little effort on post...I find iso 1600 usable from the LX3 but you really have to work hard on post.

Rawfa

BTW. I really like both results but the E-P1 image shows more detail and dynamic range (for obvious sensor size reasons). We're also talking about jpeg (E-P1) vs RAW (LX3).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Rafa,
How do you find the AF in low light with the Lx?
I lost a very special image with it and sold it the next day.
The Pen against popular belief, works very well in low light.
I played a concert on Sunday and my Wife was able to secure many images at
ISO 2000, f 2.8 1/5 sec. They came out great and she never used the camera before.
The IS is wonderful.
Don

Last edited:

Rawfa

The Lx3's low light AF improved a little bit with the latest firmware upgrade, but this is still not a camera for sports...unless you prefocus.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Rafa,

(This is in shooter's magic cloaking type, no one can read this but you and me.
Have you entertained the idea of the G11?)

Rawfa

Rafa,

(This is in shooter's magic cloaking type, no one can read this but you and me.
Have you entertained the idea of the G11?)
Hahaha. I've put my infra-red glasses to check it out :p
I have been thinking a lot about getting the S90, which shares the same sensor as the G11 but has as faster lens. The G11 is just too bulky for me. The next compact I buy I want it to fit on my jeans pocket. I know it may sound silly, but even the LX3 doesn't fit on a jean pocket and this means I have to take it out on a bag. I want go out and only remember I have a camera when I need it. I'm waiting for the S90 to be released here in Spain so that I may test drive it first.