Images

Re: Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

...more photo of GXR...

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...16_329321.html

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great looking camera. I am trying hard to resist liking it.
    I am falling deeper into the m4/3 stuff but this one could be a contender.
    Thanks for the photos........
    Shooter

Post Thanks / Like

I've downloaded a couple of her images full size and had a play with them. On areas without blown highlights they are actually really good. On the focused areas they are really clean and clear and sharp. The focus on the ones I downloaded weren't on the subject of the shot though.
    Last edited by Will; 18th November 2009 at 12:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will,
    On the focus issue.....
    Do you attribute that to the camera or the shooter?
    Most of the engineers that test cameras don't even understand images.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems strange that the plane of focus seems to be a little in front of what I would have thought was the main subject so maybe its a glitch with the autofocus.
    The exposure was spot metered and -1/3 so it also seems odd that some of the images are so overexposed. The areas that aren't clipped or out of focus are superb though.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first had my hands on the GX100 it gave horrid results and was a disappointment. Then either one learns or the camera seems to adapt... Its a very
    abnormal relationship with a machine. Perhaps Zen and the Art of motocycle maintenance
    helps explain the relation between a Ricoh and its user . Also explains why so many
    people dump the camera quickly ( I know 2 ex users, one dumped within a week), the way bikers would either love or hate their Triumphs (real Triumphs not the sewing machines on sale now).

There are some comparison samples up on the Ricoh Forum.
    http://ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3497

I think its still early for a real test and these are from post production lens modules. Still
    the comparison is a start..
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

guys, be patient... i am writing up a brief review, after a few more things are sorted out (I was using a pre-production unit that has a few issues).

from what i can tell, firmware has not been updated yet, so the issues you see on the pics are a combination of camera and shooter (and the inability to find a good RAW processor for the camera yet).

what i can give you a hint at is the title of my review -- GXR: The Silent Rangefinder

IMO (and others here), this is the camera the X1 should have been... i was shooting it alongside someone who had just gotten his M9 that day and he grabbed my GXR more than a few times to try it

Post Thanks / Like

My comments on the particular set of images was really meant to be a comment on them rather than my expectations of the camera when the full production version comes out. I do have absolute faith in Ricoh and their proven track record in producing the highest standard of photographic equipment. So much so that I'm very close to deciding to pre order a GXR (only thing stopping me at the moment is the temptation of getting an EP2)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I want one!

Be patient while the adds roll, the sample images are worth the wait.

http://www.cnet.de/digital-lifestyle...ennweite.htm#g

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will,
    I too am very tempted by this camera. The Ricoh's have it down for sure.
    This one seems to have resolved the IQ and lens interchangeability.
    If it does what it seems to want to do, I'll move away from m4/3 in a hurry.
    Time will tell....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

if I exchange the lens+sensor it sounds for me that all I keep on using is the grip?
    I wonder how much one saves (money/size/weight) to use the grip (and some user interface) compared to just buying 2 or 3 cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i started writing a review and then just gave up...

i was using a very early pre-production camera and lens that obviously had some issues that have been since resolved (new camera arrived in Paris whilst i am now in L.A.). if you have questions, let 'em rip. i will do my best to answer them.

it is truly an awesome camera!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Low light work?

Cam,

Were you able to shoot any low light work with the 50 mm and if so how did it fare? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

do to the circumstances of when i got the camera, it was almost *all* low light.

it handled really well in conditions that were near impossible. over all, i was honestly impressed... if you can give me more specific questions, i'll be able to answer you better.

(i'm also extremely jet-lagged right now but did not want to ignore you... off to bed when it's really time to wake up back home.)
    Last edited by cam; 26th November 2009 at 21:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    do to the circumstances of when i got the camera, it was almost *all* low light.

it handled really well in conditions that were near impossible. over all, i was honestly impressed... if you can give me more specific questions, i'll be able to answer you better.

(i'm also extremely jet-lagged right now but did not want to ignore you... off to bed when it's really time to wake up back home.)
    Cam,
    I expected low light when I surmised the circumstances under which you obtained the camera.
    I can picture it now...
    Just after midnight, two figures wearing trench-coats brush past each other at the center of Pont de la Concorde over the strangely quiet river Seine with mist just rising in the cooling night air. A furtive exchange is made. One of the figures, Cam in disguise, pivots and carefully takes her first shot with the black pre-production beauty. The other, an obviously athletic swarthy fellow, stubs out his half-smoked Gitanes smiles and just under his musty breath and almost inaudibly whispers "before dawn, ma chre Cam, it MUST be returned or it will be missed".
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 27th November 2009 at 07:12.

D upton-Hackett.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Cam,
    I expected low light when I surmised the circumstances under which you obtained the camera.
    I can picture it now...
    Just after midnight, two figures wearing trench-coats brush past each other at the center of Pont de la Concorde. A furtive exchange is made. One of the figures, Cam in disguise, pivots and carefully takes her first shot with the black pre-production beauty. The other, an obviously athletic swarthy fellow, stubs out his half-smoked Gitanes smiles and just under his musky breath and almost inaudibly whispers "before dawn, ma chre Cam, it MUST be returned or it will be missed".
    -bob
    Bob's Description reminds me of ye old B/W film Limelight with Humpty Bogart

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL!!!

you forgot to add the copious amount of wine and caf crmes consumed in the change-overs!

3200 JPEG at Place de la Concorde (b/w with tweaked contrast in-camera as i had no idea i would only be dealing with JPEGs, wide open, center-weighted metering, spot focus on the girl to the left). i have a second pic where the background is more in focus (very impressive), but i liked this better.

note: you cannot turn off NR completely in JPEG -- so i set in to not kick in until 3200 where i obviously was here. i slightly adjusted the curves and downsized in CS3, but otherwise it is straight b/w JPEG from camera... not the best photo, but i was trying to see what it would do with flare, etc., at very high ISOs.

when you consider how tiny the camera relatively is (more than once, it easily went in my purse or pocket due to rain), i was very impressed. i can't wait until i have control of the RAW...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good Cam

Please share some more files when you have time. A raw developer has not been selected by Ricoh yet I assume ie LR, ACR, etc?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I adore film noir
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Cam,
    I can picture it now...
    Just after midnight, two figures wearing trench-coats brush past each other at the center of Pont de la Concorde over the strangely quiet river Seine with mist just rising in the cooling night air. A furtive exchange is made. One of the figures, Cam in disguise, pivots and carefully takes her first shot with the black pre-production beauty. The other, an obviously athletic swarthy fellow, stubs out his half-smoked Gitanes smiles and just under his musty breath and almost inaudibly whispers "before dawn, ma chre Cam, it MUST be returned or it will be missed".
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam, Impressive even for being pre-production!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bbodine9 -- will do.

Ricoh doesn't have a proper profile and no program was reading them properly. when we told Ricoh this, they updated the firmware for this and then we couldn't read them at all! very frustrating as i saw a lot more details in the RAW files... both myself and my french colleague tried everything out there, sigh.

because of that, i had to shoot RAW and colour JPEGs the rest of the time and i must admit to being a bit harsh in my criticism of the files as i was only looking at JPEGs after shooting RAW for so long. i was also pixel peeping (something i normally don't do). very unfair on my part as the lens is quite gorgeous.

i also admit to trying to shoot my type of shots, rather than typical test photos, as i was trying to see what the camera would do on my terms. in that regard, i really pushed it to its limit and was pleasantly surprised throughout.

most importantly, i was able to get the "moment" as it is quite a responsive camera.

anyways, i promise to put more up this evening.

all the night shots were done in b/w (my preference), spot metered as i found the multi-metering tended to over expose. this was fixed in a firmware update and so i used that for the rest of my tests -- as well as moving to colour JPEGs.

i have to say, though, i much preferred the b/w view in the EVF, especially in critical lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Cam, Impressive even for being pre-production!
    it was, Lili! i think this camera might give your Fuji's a run for the money

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    it was, Lili! i think this camera might give your Fuji's a run for the money
    I am quite sure it would, for far much more cash as well
    Seriously though, I am waiting with interest to see how this camera plays out; I hate being an early adopter but the large sensor draw IS alluring...
    OT, I wrote chriscam about repairing my GRD today so we will just see how that one plays out too....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just read on another forum how slow the AF is. Has this been your experience? Is Ricoh aware that this is an issue? Have they indicated that they intend to address this before release in December?
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili -- an original GRD and a GXR would be an awesome combination!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John -- i wrote to you about AF on the other forum. for other's sake, i will post both your question and my answer.

Cam, please keep posting information. I placed an order with Amazon for one based on the DPR images when the camera was first announced. However, I am a little nervous about it as there is not a lot of information available in terms of AF performance and image quality. The only thing that can justify a camera like this with its very high price is if the performance is there. My biggest other concern is the lack of a roadmap for the future. I really want to see what other lenses will be offered with the APS-C sensor size. I would still like to see an interchangeable lens module (in particular the ability to use M lenses). Given the newness of this concept, I think it is important to give prospective buyers a roadmap to ensure they are not buying into a dead end concept.
    AF performance is quite good. it is very quick (much less so in Macro) and even able to focus in low light or tricky conditions where i'm not sure if i could manually. the AF is not, however, quick enough for the decisive moment (i'm talking split second here). but then again, i'm of the mind that NO camera is... in SNAP or MF (where you can quickly change the distance on the lens barrel), it isn't a problem. i also like the option they give you to use AF and then tweak it to perfection in manual on the lens.

the image quality is superb. a lot of care was taken into making this optic and it shows. whilst it is plenty sharp, i find it more classical in tone, allowing for very smooth and creamy, gentle OOF transitions. it often feels more like film that digital. the specular highlights are perfectly rounded as well.... if you prefer a very modern (digital) look, this lens is not for you. but, personally, i love it.

they are working on new modules and i agree that it would be nice to hear a roadmap sooner rather than later. i know they are listening to what people want, though, including building a sensor with the ability to mount M lenses.

the person you are quoting above got his 15 minutes of fame by walking in a store and touching the camera. in no way is it the same as actually using the camera. i'm sorry, but it's true.

i've stated here and elsewhere that the 50mm and probably other modules in the future need the added size and weight for proper handling and balance. 50mm with an APS-C size sensor would be ludicrous.

as for the slow focus, he was likely using it in Macro mode or the dual mode which is set to auto-detect when you need to go into macro (not necessary, IMO, to ever have this on). Macro mode is slow, but when you consider the precision necessary for this to function correctly on this lens, especially wide open, it's no wonder.
    Last edited by cam; 27th November 2009 at 21:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I played with one today ; ).... It is a very nice camera .... I can only comment on how it felt in my hands .... simply amazing ... on ergonomics alone this camera is incredible ... Felt like making a run for the door but could not find the battery charger .... Had along with me a Hexar AF ... very similar in looks and feel .... I think people are going to be very happy with this camera ...

Post Thanks / Like

By all accounts this camera is pure awesomeness! Don't think I'll be able to resist the 50mm package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FANTASTIC Ferris Wheel Shot , CAM

this might turn my head again for a digi...

wbrandsma

How much does it take to convince you Helen? Like Cam I have now the possibility to play with the GXR for a couple of days with the 50mm lens. Even though it is a macro lens it produces excellent results too for available light and street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter,
    Very nice indeed.
    shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1
    Osman

D upton-Hackett.

just lovely #3 is my favourite.

Post Thanks / Like

Mediaworld, thats the Italian branch of the German Mediamarkt , have the GXR with prices
    for all the accessories too.
    http://tinyurl.com/ylzqj2j

670 euro for the 50mm module- GULP!
    34 euro for the lens cap ( my lc1 cost 17 euro from Japan including postage)
    Tthis is something that needs to be waited for, once the prices start to settle it should come around to something more sensible. 670 euro for a lens that can/will be outdated by sensor technology improvements..... A bit steep really .

al the best

paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/