The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

V

Vivek

think its an interesting idea... but kinda doomed - too proprietary - i cant imagine 3rd parties producing devices for this.... can't imagine Ricoh getting enough traction in the market to justify producing many additional modules

It is too expensive - plus I don't actually see the advantage it offers - what they seem to be offering is a module that is a GX200 and a module with a 1.5 crop CCD and fixed 50mm lens

why not just sell a GX200 and a model with the 1.5 crop sensor.

Just my thoughts

K
Doomed is the word.

DOA.

pollobarca

I wonder if they might come out with a sensor pack lens mount?
Will, thats where it will win. Buy a compact and a lens mount (with sensor and perhaps additional circuitry) for your "legacy" lenses or 4/3 or whatever.

Underwater case with built in lens and sensor ( i can just sea&sea jumping at this) and all you do is slot in the body. Nikonos replacement.

Rigging up loads of lens's and sensors with wireless and you can do some interesting things on one body.Stereo lens's, panoramas .

A kite with built in lens ( kite aerial photography).

the mount can be anything, all you need is a receiver cartridge on the body.
Flexibility is the big thing here.( flexible wallets too):bugeyes:

Finally some manufacturer is using digital to make new cameras, not keep on with the old.

cam

along with the 50mm looking quite nice, there is this:

The camera system is in itself interesting enough, but the potential for add-on elements and more developments make GXR very exciting. There is no lens mount obviously, but on questioning Mr Kazunobu Saiki, general manager for Ricoh's global camera division, seemed to acknowledge that a sensor unit fitted with a mount receptive to M and L rangefinder lenses would be a positive addition to the system. Those with good memories will recall that Ricoh had the 28mm f/2.8 and 21mm f/3.5 lenses from its film GR series of compact cameras launched as limited-edition screw-thread L models many years ago. I don't suppose the possibility of making its new system directly attractive to Leica and Voigtländer users has passed the company by. Neither Saiki nor Katagiri would be drawn on when this type of unit might become available, but in previous talks Saiki has agreed that an important element in the success of the Micro Four Thirds system is its ability to tap into existing lens systems via adapters. This type of strategy ensures a new system does not require a complete reinvestment for photographer to take it up.
There will be more lens/sensor units released in the second quarter of 2010.

pollobarca

Well it takes the wide angle adapter (using a new tube HA-3 more expense...) and has IS in the 24-72 lens. This looks like a very good alternative option to Panasonic and Olympus cameras. The GF1 flash- will it work with the GX100?
BTW the lens's are called "camera unit".
Definitely this camera system is on my list.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
There are some samples on Ricoh's english site here
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/sampleimage.html

I would think any bokeh critic would have to be pretty happy with this sample.. http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/img/sample_02.jpg
Absolutely! That's Rokkor 58/1.2 quality bokeh.

sample 5... http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/img/sample_05.jpg suggests that the 50mm-e lens not only has excellent bokeh, it's sharp as well.

I just wish Ricoh hadn't chosen this unnecessarily expensive "lens+sensor unit" approach. The 50mm-e samples indicate that they can build a relatively small APS-C sensor compact with interchangeable lenses that yields excellent quality images.

Here's hoping they do offer a sensor pack lens mount. That plus a 25mm Pen F lens might be a sweet combination. I'd written this camera off when I first saw the specs but now I'm not so sure.

Michiel Schierbeek

If you think of how many cameras go (to) quickly down the drain because the sensors are running out of date so fast, then the whole idea of changing sensors so easy is a great idea. But please let us be able to use our old lenses.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
What would have been really cool is if the sensor and lens were each, independently, interchangable.

Swap sensors - high resolution vs fast fps, etc.

Swap lenses, independent of sensor.

At some point, I'd like to see that type of concept from someone other than RED, at a more consumer price point.

cam

What would have been really cool is if the sensor and lens were each, independently, interchangable.

Swap sensors - high resolution vs fast fps, etc.

Swap lenses, independent of sensor.

At some point, I'd like to see that type of concept from someone other than RED, at a more consumer price point.
the Ricoh system makes this possible... whether they do it or not, well, that's another story.

cam

Speaking of image quality, not looking too good... even allowing for dpreview's approach to sample photography.
i disagree with you completely there. the 50mm is stunning. beats the X1, IMO. and, personally (because i prefer shallower depth of field), i also prefer it to any of the micro 4/3rd offerings.

to each his own, Brian.

i'm really liking this (much more than i expected to, i might add).

Joan

I agree, Cam. The IQ looks very nice to me after a quick look at DPR's samples. Right now I'm on our older CRT monitor, will have to check them out some more on my iMac.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually this is quite good . This is a 33mm lens wide open . Must be the 24-70 lens. Also ISO 200. Has some nice detail and nice tonal range. Reposted from the Ricoh website

Brian Mosley

cam, I think I must be completely spoiled by the E-P1 + 20mm f1.7 combination I'm using. Perhaps the images could be sharpened up and the colour improved quite a bit. dpreview samples are rarely flattering to any camera imho.

There's also the Ricoh user interface to consider - I've never had a Ricoh, but the UI seems to be a massive hit for those who use it?

I do think the concept is excitingly different - I'm sure that Ricoh have solved some serious challenges with this innovative approach.

Cheers

Brian

cam

Actually this is quite good . This is a 33mm lens wide open . Must be the 24-70 lens. Also ISO 200. Has some nice detail and nice tonal range. Reposted from the Ricoh website
no, Guy, that's from the 50mm -- 33 times crop factor.

Terry

Guy I believe 33mm is the 50mm equivalent lens cartridge.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It is a interesting concept. One thing is weird though one lens sports a CCD and one a CMOS. I find that very odd indeed for the same camera. On the surface seems like two different looks from the same shoot. Which could be not such a great thing. But I'm all for trying something unique also.