The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Great looking camera. I am trying hard to resist liking it.
I am falling deeper into the m4/3 stuff but this one could be a contender.
Thanks for the photos........
Shooter

Will

I've downloaded a couple of her images full size and had a play with them. On areas without blown highlights they are actually really good. On the focused areas they are really clean and clear and sharp. The focus on the ones I downloaded weren't on the subject of the shot though.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Will,
On the focus issue.....
Do you attribute that to the camera or the shooter?
Most of the engineers that test cameras don't even understand images.

Will

It seems strange that the plane of focus seems to be a little in front of what I would have thought was the main subject so maybe its a glitch with the autofocus.
The exposure was spot metered and -1/3 so it also seems odd that some of the images are so overexposed. The areas that aren't clipped or out of focus are superb though.

pollobarca

When I first had my hands on the GX100 it gave horrid results and was a disappointment. Then either one learns or the camera seems to adapt... Its a very
abnormal relationship with a machine. Perhaps Zen and the Art of motocycle maintenance
helps explain the relation between a Ricoh and its user . Also explains why so many
people dump the camera quickly ( I know 2 ex users, one dumped within a week), the way bikers would either love or hate their Triumphs (real Triumphs not the sewing machines on sale now).

There are some comparison samples up on the Ricoh Forum.
http://ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3497

I think its still early for a real test and these are from post production lens modules. Still
the comparison is a start..

cam

guys, be patient... i am writing up a brief review, after a few more things are sorted out (I was using a pre-production unit that has a few issues).

from what i can tell, firmware has not been updated yet, so the issues you see on the pics are a combination of camera and shooter (and the inability to find a good RAW processor for the camera yet).

what i can give you a hint at is the title of my review -- GXR: The Silent Rangefinder

IMO (and others here), this is the camera the X1 should have been... i was shooting it alongside someone who had just gotten his M9 that day and he grabbed my GXR more than a few times to try it :D

Will

My comments on the particular set of images was really meant to be a comment on them rather than my expectations of the camera when the full production version comes out. I do have absolute faith in Ricoh and their proven track record in producing the highest standard of photographic equipment. So much so that I'm very close to deciding to pre order a GXR (only thing stopping me at the moment is the temptation of getting an EP2)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Will,
I too am very tempted by this camera. The Ricoh's have it down for sure.
This one seems to have resolved the IQ and lens interchangeability.
If it does what it seems to want to do, I'll move away from m4/3 in a hurry.
Time will tell....

Paratom

if I exchange the lens+sensor it sounds for me that all I keep on using is the grip?
I wonder how much one saves (money/size/weight) to use the grip (and some user interface) compared to just buying 2 or 3 cameras?

cam

i started writing a review and then just gave up...

i was using a very early pre-production camera and lens that obviously had some issues that have been since resolved (new camera arrived in Paris whilst i am now in L.A.). if you have questions, let 'em rip. i will do my best to answer them.

it is truly an awesome camera!

cam

do to the circumstances of when i got the camera, it was almost *all* low light.

it handled really well in conditions that were near impossible. over all, i was honestly impressed... if you can give me more specific questions, i'll be able to answer you better.

(i'm also extremely jet-lagged right now but did not want to ignore you... off to bed when it's really time to wake up back home.)

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
do to the circumstances of when i got the camera, it was almost *all* low light.

it handled really well in conditions that were near impossible. over all, i was honestly impressed... if you can give me more specific questions, i'll be able to answer you better.

(i'm also extremely jet-lagged right now but did not want to ignore you... off to bed when it's really time to wake up back home.)
Cam,
I expected low light when I surmised the circumstances under which you obtained the camera.
I can picture it now...
Just after midnight, two figures wearing trench-coats brush past each other at the center of Pont de la Concorde over the strangely quiet river Seine with mist just rising in the cooling night air. A furtive exchange is made. One of the figures, Cam in disguise, pivots and carefully takes her first shot with the black pre-production beauty. The other, an obviously athletic swarthy fellow, stubs out his half-smoked Gitanes smiles and just under his musty breath and almost inaudibly whispers "before dawn, ma chère Cam, it MUST be returned or it will be missed".
-bob

Last edited:
D

D upton-Hackett.

Cam,
I expected low light when I surmised the circumstances under which you obtained the camera.
I can picture it now...
Just after midnight, two figures wearing trench-coats brush past each other at the center of Pont de la Concorde. A furtive exchange is made. One of the figures, Cam in disguise, pivots and carefully takes her first shot with the black pre-production beauty. The other, an obviously athletic swarthy fellow, stubs out his half-smoked Gitanes smiles and just under his musky breath and almost inaudibly whispers "before dawn, ma chère Cam, it MUST be returned or it will be missed".
-bob
Bob's Description reminds me of ye old B/W film Limelight with Humpty Bogart :grin:

cam

LOL!!!

you forgot to add the copious amount of wine and café crèmes consumed in the change-overs!

3200 JPEG at Place de la Concorde (b/w with tweaked contrast in-camera as i had no idea i would only be dealing with JPEGs, wide open, center-weighted metering, spot focus on the girl to the left). i have a second pic where the background is more in focus (very impressive), but i liked this better.

note: you cannot turn off NR completely in JPEG -- so i set in to not kick in until 3200 where i obviously was here. i slightly adjusted the curves and downsized in CS3, but otherwise it is straight b/w JPEG from camera... not the best photo, but i was trying to see what it would do with flare, etc., at very high ISOs.

when you consider how tiny the camera relatively is (more than once, it easily went in my purse or pocket due to rain), i was very impressed. i can't wait until i have control of the RAW...

bbodine9

Looks good Cam

Please share some more files when you have time. A raw developer has not been selected by Ricoh yet I assume ie LR, ACR, etc?

Lili

LOL, I adore film noir
Cam,
I can picture it now...
Just after midnight, two figures wearing trench-coats brush past each other at the center of Pont de la Concorde over the strangely quiet river Seine with mist just rising in the cooling night air. A furtive exchange is made. One of the figures, Cam in disguise, pivots and carefully takes her first shot with the black pre-production beauty. The other, an obviously athletic swarthy fellow, stubs out his half-smoked Gitanes smiles and just under his musty breath and almost inaudibly whispers "before dawn, ma chère Cam, it MUST be returned or it will be missed".
-bob