Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Since the modular approach of the GXR design allows for any number of design concepts, what modules would you most like to see in the future?

    First, I would like to see a sensor/lens module optimized for B&W photography. It would target high dynamic range, avoid an AA for the most sharpness and clarity, and include a catalog of classic B&W film types for in-camera JPGs along the lines of Silver Efex Pro, and allow for a wide range of customization of the in-camera JPG settings (contrast, sharpness, brightness, grain, etc). I would still shoot RAW, but this in-camera B&W JPG capability would be great to have. Probably with a 50mm lens, but 28 and 35mm would be fine too.

    If pressed for more, I would like to see an M-mount module to use with my Zeiss lenses.

    It ain't going to happen, but yes, a Foveon sensor inside of a Ricoh snesor/lens module would be a dream.

    So go ahead and imagine the possibilities. And listen up Ricoh

  2. #2
    Senior Member pollobarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    A series of modules that would accept other mounts. thats a first.
    Then a shifting sensor or shiftlens.
    A wireless module and wireless plug in so the lens unit could be off the camera
    or perhaps we could have two or more lens units attached wirelessly, take one snap from lots of angles.
    thats what I want
    now some wild ideas..
    A telescope module
    a Microscope module
    an underwater module (body would plug in inside the lens untit)
    lens unit with interchangeable sensors ( IR, etc)
    How many more- well how about a film module..., with the optical VF.

    Skies the limit , Literally if we have a flying wireless module.

    b rgds

    paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Definitely a dedicated B&W sensor with high dynamic range and no AA filter. Assuming the same sensor size as the GRD III, a 8.5mm f/1.0 lens would be a dream!

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewteee View Post
    Since the modular approach of the GXR design allows for any number of design concepts, what modules would you most like to see in the future?

    First, I would like to see a sensor/lens module optimized for B&W photography. It would target high dynamic range, avoid an AA for the most sharpness and clarity, and include a catalog of classic B&W film types for in-camera JPGs along the lines of Silver Efex Pro, and allow for a wide range of customization of the in-camera JPG settings (contrast, sharpness, brightness, grain, etc). I would still shoot RAW, but this in-camera B&W JPG capability would be great to have. Probably with a 50mm lens, but 28 and 35mm would be fine too.

    If pressed for more, I would like to see an M-mount module to use with my Zeiss lenses.

    It ain't going to happen, but yes, a Foveon sensor inside of a Ricoh snesor/lens module would be a dream.

    So go ahead and imagine the possibilities. And listen up Ricoh

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec View Post
    Definitely a dedicated B&W sensor with high dynamic range and no AA filter. Assuming the same sensor size as the GRD III, a 8.5mm f/1.0 lens would be a dream!
    That would be nice.
    28mm equivalent lens with high ISO performance sensor would be my preference.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

  5. #5
    Senior Member Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Near London
    Posts
    1,054
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewteee View Post

    It ain't going to happen, but yes, a Foveon sensor inside of a Ricoh snesor/lens module would be a dream.

    So go ahead and imagine the possibilities. And listen up Ricoh
    That would be my dream

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    They have apparently done some experimenting already. The module where the camera and lens is connected by wireless would be a dream for product photography. One could walk over to the product with the viewfinder in hand, and see how changes affect the photo real time.

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?


  8. #8
    Senior Member pollobarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    They have apparently done some experimenting already. The module where the camera and lens is connected by wireless would be a dream for product photography. One could walk over to the product with the viewfinder in hand, and see how changes affect the photo real time.
    Jorgen,

    I've a feeling that the business applications of a module system will be a lot more than the amateur ones. Here in the office we are having a lot of problems getting a High Image quality surveillance system in place. The Boss
    wants to see every detail, he's right too when you know the reasons, so he dont have to leave his desk to see if someone is jiggerry with the seal nrs etc. High quality lens units (zoom?) would solve a lot. Even 200 euro webcams arent up to the work here.

    Then there is the fact that the body of this camera is rugged, alloy etc. Perhaps more than a purely amateur clientele mostly requires.

    On the Ricoh Forum there is a link to down load the manual. Very interesting
    and convincing as price is not mentioned!Heres the link

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1711162/gxr_...user_guide.zip

    b rgds

    paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    A telescope module
    a Microscope module
    l
    Paul, these two would have quite a following from their respective user base. They would flock to this system if this was offered IMO.

  10. #10
    Senior Member pollobarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Yes Tim, and a sensor designed for Time lapse use or how about a bird spotters scope ?

    the Military might want a nightscope module, perhaps all conecting wirelessly.

    Regarding surveillance. Once the lens unit has gone wireless it can be made smaller.
    Bugs in the Bed of Berlusconi!!! Paparazzi wold go wild for that. Put a green coloured zoom unit in a tree near to Berlusconis swimming pool
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    I guess they have removed the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Jorgen,

    I've a feeling that the business applications of a module system will be a lot more than the amateur ones. Here in the office we are having a lot of problems getting a High Image quality surveillance system in place. The Boss
    wants to see every detail, he's right too when you know the reasons, so he dont have to leave his desk to see if someone is jiggerry with the seal nrs etc. High quality lens units (zoom?) would solve a lot. Even 200 euro webcams arent up to the work here.

    Then there is the fact that the body of this camera is rugged, alloy etc. Perhaps more than a purely amateur clientele mostly requires.

    On the Ricoh Forum there is a link to down load the manual. Very interesting
    and convincing as price is not mentioned!Heres the link

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1711162/gxr_...user_guide.zip

    b rgds

    paul
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

  12. #12
    Senior Member pollobarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Yes,
    Pavel had to remove the link:
    "EDIT: I'm sorry folks, but I was requested by Ricoh to remove the manual (even after previous approval). At least for now. I guess it was not the final document?

    I can only politely ask people who already downloaded the manual, not to share it until further notice. Thank you for understanding!"

    b rgds

    paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    I want a camera with true interchangeable lenses. I will decide what lenses to use and when.

    Chuck this sealed modules and come up with something useful. Be a real competitor to the m4/3rds "system".

  14. #14
    Senior Member pollobarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Vivek,
    Nikon,Canon,Olympus all make DSLR's. I dont think they will change much so you have no problems.

    I am at a loss now between EP2 GF1 and the GXR. Money and heart say EP2.
    Enjoying my camera seems to be Ricoh- I really like handling my GX100 and
    taking pictures with it(Ive shot over 20000 in 22 months with the GX100). I fancy the GF1 except for the word "Panasonic" which makes me think of cheap radios.

    I'll be waiting about for a while yet to see how things develop. This Ricoh is an advance
    in any case. For sure Ricoh have done their sums and got some deals before doing this. If they havent then its corporate lunacy!

    b rgds

    paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Paul,

    I am waiting for a mirrorless Sony cam to hit the streets.

    There is G1, my current most used camera. There is no other worthy challenger for it, yet.

    One of the most versatile cameras ever.

    Panasonic is very big on making batteries.

  16. #16
    Senior Member pollobarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Posts
    564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Yes the G1 is at Pixmania at 563 euro (14-45 lens) . Add an Oly pancake lens and you have something for about 850 euro that does a lot of the GXR stuff.Plus a whip out LCD included.

    In fact panasonic have been clever enough to write LUMIX on their cameras, like they used to write Technics on their hi-end stereos. They really dont like their own name it seems.
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Yes the G1 is at Pixmania at 563 euro (14-45 lens) . Add an Oly pancake lens and you have something for about 850 euro that does a lot of the GXR stuff.Plus a whip out LCD included.
    That whip out LCD is what makes the G1 so versatile. By luck or design, Panasonic hit a home run with it despite the pseudo DSLR looks of the G1.

    The GF-1 has an "optional" EVF that is inferior in quality to the integrated EVF of the G1(extra $$$). The E-P1 has no EVF...
    Last edited by Vivek; 11th November 2009 at 05:08.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    In fact panasonic have been clever enough to write LUMIX on their cameras, like they used to write Technics on their hi-end stereos. They really dont like their own name it seems.
    not always.

    when Panasonic was selling DATs (high end audio recorders), the Panasonic name was on the professional units (along with a really hideous grey colour) whereas Technics (in beautiful black) was for their consumer level machines.

    it kind of amuses me because Panasonic really was the DAT to buy and people were very proud of owning one -- as those were the models seen in practically every recording studio.

    funny how perceptions change according to the industry.

    (then again, i still think of them as Matsu$hita* i'm feeling old.)

    * i can't believe the forum would not allow me to spell that out!

  19. #19
    Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    112

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    A true monochrome sensor (CCD) with no AA filter, no Bayer filter and a native ISO of 100 and as large as possible sensor. Couple this with a 50mm equivalent 50/1.4 lens and I might buy one.

    "The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston


  20. #20
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    despite the pseudo DSLR looks of the G1.
    ohhh, Vivek, careful how you say this, I got a verbal beating for saying the wrong thing about the G1 looks!

    But I know what you mean!

  21. #21
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    A true monochrome sensor (CCD) with no AA filter, no Bayer filter and a native ISO of 100 and as large as possible sensor. Couple this with a 50mm equivalent 50/1.4 lens and I might buy one.
    hmm, interesting thought, I wonder what other competition there is for such a device - none me thinks!

  22. #22
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    200 mm f/2 lens with a deep infrared pre-filtered sensor coupled with an infrared flash with a long throw reflector.

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    ohhh, Vivek, careful how you say this, I got a verbal beating for saying the wrong thing about the G1 looks!

    But I know what you mean!
    Tim, Verbal beating?! My G1s have no logos (LUMIX, or the golden L)and usually have an unmarked Computar TV 25/1.3 lens.

    Just the way I like it.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    A true monochrome sensor (CCD) with no AA filter, no Bayer filter and a native ISO of 100 and as large as possible sensor. Couple this with a 50mm equivalent 50/1.4 lens and I might buy one.
    I would take one if it comes with an interchangeable lens mount.

    Anyone have any suggestions on how to unglue a sensor cover plate attached to a sensor on a flex board? Had that not been the case, I would have been using a monochrome G1 for a while now.

  25. #25
    setmajer
    Guest

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    µ4/3, most definitely. Ricoh UI + large(ish) sensor + compact lenses + options to go more portable or lower noise/shallower DOF = epic photography WIN.

    And I'd only have to sell off my GF-1 body, not the lenses. As it is, though, the GF-1 is still a better 'big brother' to my pair of GRD1s.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Tim, Verbal beating?!
    - yeah, I once said the G1 had a faux pentaprism (oh no, not again! ), I meant it with love as I really like the G1, but it didnt go down well.

    I was going to suggest a pinhole lens for the Ricoh GXR, but I guess all you need is any lens mount module and drill a hole in the body cap.

  27. #27
    Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    112

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I would take one if it comes with an interchangeable lens mount.

    Anyone have any suggestions on how to unglue a sensor cover plate attached to a sensor on a flex board? Had that not been the case, I would have been using a monochrome G1 for a while now.
    I was going to add an M-Mount to that list but decided to keep it simple.

    "The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston


  28. #28
    Senior Member ShiroKuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hawaii/Japan
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

    Here is what appears to be a new 1/2 frame module for the GXR

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •