Site Sponsors

Thread: Some recent photos

Post Thanks / Like

Some recent photos

Just thought I'd post some recent photos. Really grateful for any comments, especially critical ones . The second is taken with my new 40mm converter.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some recent photos

And two more, that don't fit with the above. The first reminded me of the scene with cars going to heaven in Monty Python's Meaning of Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the sense that there's a story involved with all of them. Something interesting and I want to figure it out. And there's a very nice buzz to some of them too. Energy that might even be a little disturbing.

I have difficulty with the black and whites though. I like the images but I can't get past the squashed tonality. It might just be my own prejudices showing, but they seem flat, the light is gone.

My favorite is the dog walker. Nice work!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the B&W- nice silvery tones.

I might lighten up the lower half of the cars going to heaven shot, just a bit- there's not quite enough detail to get the idea yet, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you have a refreshing view from the common...I like em
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've come back several times to the Photoautomat shot which I just love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Terry (Photoautomat)....its a GREAT shot
    I also love your first shot
    Your B&W seems to have more ALLURE for me ....Cheers ! Helen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated. Personally, I liked the first by far the most, which is why I put it on top . Photoautomat is second. TEBnewyork and hellen, is it because the guy is hot (no opinion on this myself)? Seriously, I'm quite happy and a bit surprised that some of the sentiments I had seem to get across.

Regarding the B&W conversion, I can't really defend it, because I'm not 100% convinced by it myself. I did have a very similar thought just before posting, namely, that they look a bit dull, especially in the small format. "the light is gone" is a very good way to put it. I was impressed by this sentence! This is not completely for the worse, but definitely, as they are, I'm not happy with them myself. It will take some time and effort to get the PP right.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sizifo View Post
    Regarding the B&W conversion, I can't really defend it, because I'm not 100% convinced by it myself. I did have a very similar thought just before posting, namely, that they look a bit dull, especially in the small format. "the light is gone" is a very good way to put it. I was impressed by this sentence! This is not completely for the worse, but definitely, as they are, I'm not happy with them myself. It will take some time and effort to get the PP right.
    I like them all as well - as for the black and white conversion - I also like the 'light is gone' remark, but it might be misleading - there just doesn't seem to be a lot of mid-range contrast (the histogram needs stretching out). Of course, this is always to taste, and you might not want them to be 'snappy' (like a crocodile rather than like a snapshot you understand )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

for the 1st one, I wish I (well, you) was one step to the left for framing. I'm intrigued by 4 but can't see it. I'm wondering if you can push the snot out of it in pp and get something that sucks me in more.

Post Thanks / Like

jonoslack - Getting this right will take me some time. Sliding the mid-range contrast up gets the "light back", but the images don't look. I guess that I've been able to get a flat look that I like ok quickly, but getting a good contrasty look seems a lot more difficult.

nostatic - Is it possible that you elaborate just a bit? "push the snot out of it" - this is either a typo or an expression that I don't understand . Regarding the first photo, in addition to the expression and the clouds right above the head, I like how the various signs and traffic lights (+the paper on the ground) are scattered around. Moving would change this and I have a hard time imagining that it would work as well. I guess one could see what he's doing with the hands better: going through the garbage. Having said this, the photo was taken in a milisecond, from a bicycle, with almost no conscious composition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated. Personally, I liked the first by far the most, which is why I put it on top . Photoautomat is second. TEBnewyork and hellen, is it because the guy is hot (no opinion on this myself)? Seriously, I'm quite happy and a bit surprised that some of the sentiments I had seem to get across
    No I don't think the guy is hot by my standards
    ITS MORE THE Whole FEEL of the SHOT
    the mannequin wrapped around him, his look to you, and the other two oblivious to the whole scene lost in their conversation and the charming Photoautomat Booth
    It seems so very CINEMATIC to me

I also loved what MikeWALKER said sooo BRILIANTLY
    "You have a refreshing view from the common, I lke em"
    as for the blk & whte being dull / yes it could have a tad push more but thats also refreshing that its not sooo Stylised
    Thanks ! helen

Post Thanks / Like

my favorite is the photoautomat.

that's fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

nostatic - Is it possible that you elaborate just a bit? "push the snot out of it" - this is either a typo or an expression that I don't understand . Regarding the first photo, in addition to the expression and the clouds right above the head, I like how the various signs and traffic lights (+the paper on the ground) are scattered around. Moving would change this and I have a hard time imagining that it would work as well. I guess one could see what he's doing with the hands better: going through the garbage. Having said this, the photo was taken in a milisecond, from a bicycle, with almost no conscious composition.
    no typo...just a street colloquialism. I mean push hard on the sliders in pp to see what you get. Not sure what things you did to the original. I've taken the liberty of playing with it to show you what I mean. Given with the disclaimer that I really don't know what I'm doing...I just play in Aperture and call it a day at some point. If I knew how to properly use photoshop, I'd "dodge and burn" the hands of the couple to bring that out a bit. It's on my list of things to do (learn PS better that is).

wrt to the framing, I find serendipity to often rule. I figured you were on foot, and as I always disclaimer (again), often my "bright ideas" suck when actually tried. That's why I toss a fair amount of my own shots. I think it was that I just felt like it was a little vertical heavy on the left side of the frame and I found myself sort of craning my neck to move left a bit to see around the can and him framed over the other side of the building.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated. Personally, I liked the first by far the most, which is why I put it on top . Photoautomat is second. TEBnewyork and hellen, is it because the guy is hot (no opinion on this myself)? Seriously, I'm quite happy and a bit surprised that some of the sentiments I had seem to get across.
    It isn't that the guy is hot, it is the way he is holding the legs. It makes you look more than once.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    It isn't that the guy is hot, it is the way he is holding the legs. It makes you look more than once.
    yeah, I did a triple-take at least with that shot. Then I had to take a shower

Post Thanks / Like

nostatic - Thanks for taking the time, it looks better than the original. I feel this photo is interesting as far as the subject and composition, but the original capture is so underexposed that I've not been able to make it work. Uploaded all the images to http://gallery.mac.com/vid33#gallery , feel free to do with it what you like (you can download the originals). Unfortunately this one is just a jpeg -the others are raw - which makes it more difficult.

Have been thinking for a while how to start a discussion on the +s and -s of street photography, along the lines of what you just did. Cool!

Regarding photo no. 1. What I like about it is precisely that it's unbalanced in a weird way. In fact it's mostly this that makes it no. 1 for me.

The guys were mocking about with the legs, just had to take photos. I have more like it, but that's probably the best one.

Post Thanks / Like

nostatic - Thanks for taking the time, it looks better than the original. I feel this photo is interesting as far as the subject and composition, but the original capture is so underexposed that I've not been able to make it work. Uploaded all the images to http://gallery.mac.com/vid33#gallery , feel free to do with it what you like (you can download the originals). Unfortunately this one is just a jpeg -the others are raw - which makes it more difficult.

Have been thinking for a while how to start a discussion on the +s and -s of street photography, along the lines of what you just did. Cool!

Regarding photo no. 1. What I like about it is precisely that it's unbalanced in a weird way. In fact it's mostly this that makes it no. 1 for me.

The guys were mocking about with the legs, just had to take photos. I have more like it, but that's probably the best one.
    I love the photo. It hints at what is going on, and I just feel like I need to see a bit more to reach a little further into my gut. Resonates with those stolen moments in a dark patch with some young girl who's name you've long forgotten, but was important in that youthful moment.

Hmm, time for another shower perhaps. Anywho I agree with what you're saying about #1 and in fact my "one step back, one step to the left" spot may have not worked at all. I've gotten better, but still can't always predict how my movement is going to alter the perspective of all the elements. Forever a student I am. Order my words properly I not.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, hostages to fortune, and I'm not sure that I've really improved anything, but perhaps it answers the question about 'taking away the light'

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely #! / more Striking a rendition
    Shot 2 / there is a sinister quality lurking there

Jono: Glad your Back......All the Best..... Helen

Post Thanks / Like

i played a bit with the original. A tough one...mainly tried to lighten it a bit and tried to remove the bit of harsh reflection from his ring.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Lovely #! / more Striking a rendition
    Shot 2 / there is a sinister quality lurking there

Jono: Glad your Back......All the Best..... Helen
    HI Helen
    Thank you - it's nice to BE back (although it doesn't get the work done!).

I'm not sure that I really did the first shot any favours, still, I only spent a few minutes on it.
    The second one seemed to me to need to be in black and white, I also cropped it a little tighter to increase the tension - I agree, it's a sinister shot.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    i played a bit with the original. A tough one...mainly tried to lighten it a bit and tried to remove the bit of harsh reflection from his ring.

I rather liked the ring - here's my take:

here is the other one (not so good I think):

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I love the photo. It hints at what is going on, and I just feel like I need to see a bit more to reach a little further into my gut. Resonates with those stolen moments in a dark patch with some young girl who's name you've long forgotten, but was important in that youthful moment.
    Hmm, time for another shower perhaps..
    i do like what you did / perhaps enlarging also created more tension as opposed to the love factor (kissing in a back alley)

It seems the 'redo' has more of a Hitchcock feel now
    Be Careful in the Shower.... there's a 'PSYCHO ' waiting
    Cheers! Helen

Post Thanks / Like

A more explicit scene from the market. And a few other shots from the same day, all with the 40mm converter. Why not? The last one is just to prove that Germans like their automats.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the very grainy one jonoslack. However, I'm quite convinced that it's not possible to make this photo work 100%. Here is another attempt by me.

Really got sucked into this forum today. Must sleep, must work...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a bit softer. Too bad it's a .jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That looks very good TRSmith. Tried to light up the face myself, but then gave up in the course of pulling various sliders to the max. Really nice. Wins for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is just absolutely brilliant:

BRAVO!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I think this is just absolutely brilliant:

BRAVO!
    So do I - needs about 3 takes and I'm still confused.
    really fabulous.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Just off to catch a flight to a small village in England, called London, where I'm not sure how quickly I'll find internet. So if I don't reply to something for a while, it's not out of rudeness.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Blow Southwark a kiss from me!

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great photo. You have the feeling that if you take away the piece of trash by his foot, the composition would go out of kilter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    a bit softer. Too bad it's a .jpg

It's a great idea to soften the image. It works especially well in your version, since the faces come out. I kept wanting to come back to this for a while, since I didn't think so much could be squeezed from this image.

Anyway, I tried to mimic your version in Aperture, but there seems to be no way to soften an image. Does anybody know how this can be done? In any case, it would be great to know how you did it, I presume in photoshop - which I have, but am not familiar with at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    That is a great photo. You have the feeling that if you take away the piece of trash by his foot, the composition would go out of kilter.
    Completely true, the piece of trash is important. In fact I took a different piece of trash out, in about 30 seconds in aperture. Was surprised how easy it is to do. Below is the original, just to show how much that little extra bit unbalances the photo. And a slightly different take, with more contrast, though the first is probably better.

P.S. Sorry for resurrecting this thread, I just had a few points to make, but no time to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a great idea to soften the image. It works especially well in your version, since the faces come out. I kept wanting to come back to this for a while, since I didn't think so much could be squeezed from this image.

Anyway, I tried to mimic your version in Aperture, but there seems to be no way to soften an image. Does anybody know how this can be done? In any case, it would be great to know how you did it, I presume in photoshop - which I have, but am not familiar with at all.
    I wish I could give you a straight answer. It now seems so long ago. I do remember that it was late at night and I just started playing with it in photoshop. I remember a mask or two and some selections with adjustment layers specific to them, but I can't pull up the recipe. One likely effect I would have tried was the use of an action that's part of the PixelGenius PK Sharpener plugin. It's a blur tool that you set up as a brush and can "paint" blur whereever you want it and then adjust its opacity. I also make use of the selective color tool a lot, even in B&W. I'm a tiny bit more organized with working process for my own stuff, but this was just for fun.

You captured a very nice feeling. Reminded me of being young and (ahem) passionate (I'm thinking of another word here, but you get my drift).

Jump right in to Photoshop, it's the coolest.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answer, I'll probably get back to you after the next pp attempt on that photo.

The reason why I've been using aperture much more than photoshop is that I find it very intuitive. I can open it after a few weeks of not doing any photo stuff, and all the shortcuts etc. are still in my fingers. Every time I start learning photoshop, I'm amazed at how powerful it is, but coming back after a break it really takes a while to get into again. It's probably that I've simply not used it often enough.

Photoshop is much more of the beast of course, and shouldn't really be compared directly with aperture, but still.

Just realized that the new doge and burn plugin in aperture has a blur tool, like the one that you mention.