The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sigma DP1

DavidE

Got my hands on a Sigma DP1 today. (I know, it isn't really a small sensor camera -- just a small-size camera.)

Isn't your first image supposed to be a cat or dog photo? This is what happens when you ask a dog to say "cheese."

helenhill

So.......love to know what are your first impressions of the DP1 ?
Cheers! helen :)

Last edited:

DavidE

It was actually the 19th photo, so technically it's one of the first.

Melvin -- the dog -- was nibbling on the grass. As he nibbled, he would raise his head to chew. I grabbed some shots in the hope that one might turn out OK.

The DPI is quite slow when shooting RAW. Currently there's no RAW support except with Signa's software, so I used it to export a TIFF file.

DavidE

Helen,

I mostly like the images it produces. They seem to have a slight reddish cast (probably a white balance issue, though I wasn't having a lot of luck correcting it with the limited toolset in the Sigma software). Not as well constructed or nearly as manual-mode friendly as my GRD2. What I really want is for Ricoh to release a big sensor GRD.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is a great shot. Looks like the dog is about to chew your leg off though. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I swear this is turning into a pet forum. You guy's crack me up

Okay i rarely do this but here is Drake. Not shot with a Sigma but from one of those dark side camera's with a 105 macro wide open. Not his best pose but he was feeling pretty lonely seeing all these pet shots

B

bartlebooth

Hi, this is my first post on this forum - I've been reading it for a while but felt the need to weigh in on this since the DP1 is so new. In my opinion, Sigma has leapfrogged the competition with this camera - the images it produces are simply stunning. Incredible detail and sharpness at 100% crop, extremely wide dynamic range (almost no blown highlights in one week of shooting in bright daylight), and beautiful colors that contribute to a much more film-like look. This is definitely the compact I've been waiting for as a carry everywhere camera (I also shoot with film Leicas and M8 and like how the DP1 can be set for a very 'rangefinder-like' style of shooting). Previously I've used a GRD and then GRD II for this (both of which are excellent cameras) but the DP1 image quality is, in my opinion, in another league.

Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kornucopia/
http://kornucopia.my-expressions.com

DavidE

Incredible detail and sharpness at 100% crop, extremely wide dynamic range (almost no blown highlights in one week of shooting in bright daylight), and beautiful colors that contribute to a much more film-like look.
Have you seen a slight reddish tint with your DP1 photos? I was able to get some shots off only in the late afternoon (the camera just arrived). I'm hoping the reddish tint is a result of the late hour and not a defective camera.

I'm finding the RAW DP1 photos hold up very well to processing. There's a lot of information embedded in those files.

B

bartlebooth

David, I haven't noticed any reddish cast (also haven't heard it mentioned at all over on the Sigma forum) so maybe it just was the time of day. I agree with you about the RAW files, there is alot of info retained, especially in the highlights. You know, I never payed much attention to Foveon technology before because I knew I didn't want to go the DSLR route but I'm quickly becoming a convert.

DavidE

Can DP-1 files only be processed with Sigma software? No Aperture, no Lightroom, no ACR, etc...?
Maggie,

It usually takes a few months for the software companies to add a new RAW format. Each camera's RAW format is different enough that support has to be added for each camera. The DP1 format isn't quite the same as the SD14. And the Canon 40D format isn't quite the same as the previous 30D. There always seems to be a lag.

Adobe's DNG RAW format was an attempt to have a common, open standard. Without a standard like DNG, there's a chance some RAW formats may not be supported in the future. That could be a concern for a camera that doesn't sell well or a manufacturer that goes out of business.

W

wbrandsma

Wonderful first photo with the DP1! I hope you enjoy your new camera more than the dog being caught on camera?

Maggie O

Maggie,

It usually takes a few months for the software companies to add a new RAW format. Each camera's RAW format is different enough that support has to be added for each camera. The DP1 format isn't quite the same as the SD14. And the Canon 40D format isn't quite the same as the previous 30D. There always seems to be a lag.

Adobe's DNG RAW format was an attempt to have a common, open standard. Without a standard like DNG, there's a chance some RAW formats may not be supported in the future. That could be a concern for a camera that doesn't sell well or a manufacturer that goes out of business.
More succinctly, and to answer my question; "yes."

I'm aware of the time lag between camera introduction and the adoption of RAW files by software vendors. Perhaps I should have added a "yet" to the end of my original question, so you wouldn't have had to type the obvious. I can see where my imprecision of language would lead you to believe that I am an ignoramus. My apologies.

DavidE

I can see where my imprecision of language would lead you to believe that I am an ignoramus. My apologies.
No apologies needed. I should have remembered that most posters here -- including yourself -- would know this already. That's what I like about this place. I just have to remember not to fall into one-size-fits-all, generic talking mode.

JDavila

Great shot David. Makes me miss my dog.

I'm curious to see more shots from this camera. Of course I will have to wait until the dog stops mauling your leg. :eek:

jeff

Terry

More succinctly, and to answer my question; "yes."

I'm aware of the time lag between camera introduction and the adoption of RAW files by software vendors. Perhaps I should have added a "yet" to the end of my original question, so you wouldn't have had to type the obvious. I can see where my imprecision of language would lead you to believe that I am an ignoramus. My apologies.
Maggie,
I don't know if the foveon sensor will actually force the you to always use Sigma software. I haven't followed the SD14 closely enough but I thought it was different enough that it isn't just a simple time delay for LR, ACR etc. to add the processing.