The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

image stabilization

nostatic

With my dslr setup now stabilized and LBA under control (well, as soon as the Pentax 35mm ltd macro shows up), I'm seriously pondering getting a Ricoh for street and macro use. The DLux3 works well for both of those, but it seems like either the GRD2 or GX-100 is a different tool that may lead me different places (as the 16x9 has with the DLux3).

The GX-100 is kind of a direct overlap of the DLux3 (not as much tele zoom though), so that kind of makes me lean towards the GRD2. I'm a bit worried about working at only one focal length (although the 40mm add-on helps) but also wonder about lack of image stabilization. I'm spoiled now, as the DLux3 has it as does the K20d. I tend to shoot available/low light, so I often am pushing that envelope. I've done the experiment with both cameras and know that it helps quite in many instances.

So for GX-100 owners, do you find the image stabilization useful? And for GRD2 users, does the lack of it bother you?

C

Christi Mac

Well I just got myself a GX100 today and it's a lovely piece of kit.

Re: I.S. it obviously depends why you want either camera. Personally I've been looking for a long time for a digital equivalent of my lovely old Minox 35 - and with the I.S. this comes really close. It's considerably bigger obviously, but the I.S. gives me a similar hand-holding capability in low light. And that was why I eventually went for the GX100 over the GRD2. To be honest it's probably a very minimal distinction but for me it made sense. especially now that my hands are that much older and shakier ;)

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

I have a GRD2 but have never used a GX100 so cannot offer any guide as to what the IS gives you between the two.

I do however have a D-Lux2 and I can hand hold the GRD2 better that the D-Lux2 with its IS for some reason.

Bear in mind there is a slightly faster lens and reputed higher ISO quality in the GRD2 too.

Christi,

Congratulations on your new purchase, please keep uis posted with your findings.

C

Colman

With my GR-D II the problem is seldom really camera shake, it's subject movement, and OIS won't help with that at all. 1/15 and f2.8 is doable about 75% of shots with a 28mm lens, but people have a bad habit of not holding still enough for me. They will insist on moving around and generally carrying on. I suppose if you want to do low-light landscapes OIS might be useful on a short lens like that . . .

I'm learning to embrace motion blur.

[update] I'm incoherent today - new baby arrived a few days ago! What I mean to say, of course, is that with a 28mm lens image stabilisation isn't all that important since by the time the shutter speed has dropped low enough to justify it subject motion is more of a problem than shake.

Last edited: