The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Goodbye DL4, hello GRDIII

markwon

I can't believe I hesitated so long in trying out the Ricoh. It was mainly due to the 28mm FL, which I find a bit too wide for normal use. But the lens, UI, and sheer pleasure of the colors and tones makes up for it. The images from the GRDIII make the dlux4 shots look so "digital" and coarse IMO (yes, I have shot with the dlux4 since the camera was first introduced, and gotten many keepers with it).

The GRDIII images look very film-like, and reminds me of the Sigma DP images, without the color issues and sluggish speed, all in a 1/1.7" sensor. The Ricoh folks really hit a home run with this camera. I am so impressed that now the GRX/A12 is getting tempting...

andrewteee

Indeed, the GRD3 is a great camera! The GRDs are my all-around favorite cameras. And in fact I agree that it moves closer to DP territory. I'm very anxious for the GRX with the 50mm.

Lili

Mark, lovely shot! My GRD first gen was quite my favorite camers till it died.
I am very tempted by the the GRD III, far less so (due to cost) by the GRX.
I feel the GR's have the best user interface of any camera, big or small, I've ever used.

cam

knowing you, Lili my love, the GRDIII would be perfect... then again, the GRX is a total gem! but it takes a lot more work... is it worth it? yes! it all depends on what you're looking for it to do.

i am going through the same ordeal... i can tell you truly i am madly in love with the GXR/A12. but, with my M8 and various lenses, it makes it difficult to justify... sigh.

i most likely will end up with a GRDIII (the true successor to the original) but the GXR will always haunt me. it is the closest thing to rangefinder photography without being an actual rangefinder.... the time spent creating the magic of this lens and bokeh shows. it is stunning and everything the X1 should have been.

markwon

Lili, thanks for the comment.

It looks like we are all pretty much feel the same about the GRX. Like Cam, I am torn about the GRX, since I am also currently using the M system as my main and the GRDIII as a pocket camera. I just can't seem to fit the GRX in my setup, unless it actually replaces the M--still don't know about this yet.

Lili

Mark, anytime :)

Cam, I find the concept of the GRX/A12 to be wonderful in some ways. But it looks...cumbersome and the price is not that far off an M8.
I think you are correct and the GRD III would suit me best. But I so miss the GRD's B&W jpegs :scry:

ShiroKuro

Cam, I must of missed something .... you have this camera ??? ; )
I am in Japan at the moment so I am patiently waiting for its release ..... I am really looking forward to this camera ... so I can finally decide between the GRD 3 or fix my GRD 2 and get the GRX/A12...meanwhile I just picked up a Hexar AF to play with ... ; )

Lili, I think you would do great with any camera you got your hands on . Why not fix you GRD if you miss it so much ?

Mark, enjoyed your flikr page ....

cam

GXR

Like Cam, I am torn about the GRX, since I am also currently using the M system as my main and the GRDIII as a pocket camera. I just can't seem to fit the GRX in my setup, unless it actually replaces the M--still don't know about this yet.
the GXR will not replace my M. period. i have too much invested in glass i love... (that doesn't mean that it doesn't complement the M perfectly, IMO. and would be wonderful for when you don't want to lug the M around.)

for some, though, i imagine this would be a perfect replacement as shooting with it can be a very rangefinderish experience, but you have many DSLRish pluses as well.

i can say that the japanese took a lot of time to make the specular highlights (is that the right term?) perfectly round and the lens is just sweet. it is very classic and the bokeh/OOF areas are creamy and smooth. it is also possible to get separation of a subject which i love!

Cam, I find the concept of the GRX/A12 to be wonderful in some ways. But it looks...cumbersome and the price is not that far off an M8. I think you are correct and the GRD III would suit me best. But I so miss the GRD's B&W jpegs :scry:
i spoke with the head of Ricoh France and requested a module with b/w only, based on the original GRD tonalities :p

I am in Japan at the moment so I am patiently waiting for its release ..... I am really looking forward to this camera ... so I can finally decide between the GRD 3 or fix my GRD 2 and get the GRX/A12...meanwhile I just picked up a Hexar AF to play with ... ; )
i have a pre-production unit with firmware that is still being sorted out (but you know how good Ricoh is about that)... i am sharing this camera with another and, it seems, we are kind of beta-testing it and giving feedback to Ricoh... so my "review" will be more impressions rather than technically oriented.

as an FYI, i also requested a wide angle module, sooner rather later (though even that will likely be at least six months down the line) -- essentially a GRDIII with a larger sensor.

your dilemma, btw, is exactly my own... i keep on changing my mind :rolleyes: i honestly, truly, love this camera more and more each time i use it. it is addictive, irresistible, and gets into your blood.

have fun with the Hexar AF -- another huge lust of mine!!! i believe i mentioned that camera to the Ricoh guy as well, saying a digital version would be my dream. if anybody can do it, i believe, Ricoh can :D

markwon

ShiroKuro, thanks for the comment!

Lili, While I have not shot long with the GRDI, I have tried it out for a few days before picking up my GRDIII. From what I can tell, the b&w jpegs on the GRDIII are much improved from the II, and look more film-like again. Others have done technical comparisons where the GRDIII showed less noise but a bit more smear than the GRDI, but nothing to be concerned about. Overall, I think the improvements on the GRDIII (lens speed, ISO performance, quiet operation, LCD,etc), and it being a very nice Jpeg or RAW camera, will make it a nice replacement for you. I don't think you will be disappointed by it.

Cam, could you please elaborate on how you feel the GXR can compliment the M? Do you think its a size and weight advantage for certain situations, or something else? Is the focusing experience like the GRD? Moderate AF speed, with quick snap options or better?

My normal on the M is the 35 lux asph, and with the crop factor, it comes pretty close to the 50 on the GXR. That's my personal dilemma. If the GXR had a large sensor wide angle, it could certainly serve as a wide angle option body I take along with the M on shooting days. But as you have noted, this will probably be something to come later, since the demand will be pretty high for it.

D

ddk

Lili, I think you would do great with any camera you got your hands on . Why not fix you GRD if you miss it so much ?

I can't comment on the GXR but as far as upgrading for the GRD2 to the 3 goes, its worth it! The GRD3 trumps the 2 in both operational speed, convenience and IQ and the new lens is even more gorgeous in its rendering than the original...

To be honest, as much as I loved the original GRD I never really warmed up to the 2 but the 3 takes care of all my issues with the 2.

helenhill

I'm going to put up for SALE my GRD2
recently purchased here
EXC condt.... $250.00
includes paypal & shipping

Charles . if you are Interested Please PM...

cam

Cam, could you please elaborate on how you feel the GXR can compliment the M? Do you think its a size and weight advantage for certain situations, or something else? Is the focusing experience like the GRD? Moderate AF speed, with quick snap options or better?

My normal on the M is the 35 lux asph, and with the crop factor, it comes pretty close to the 50 on the GXR. That's my personal dilemma. If the GXR had a large sensor wide angle, it could certainly serve as a wide angle option body I take along with the M on shooting days. But as you have noted, this will probably be something to come later, since the demand will be pretty high for it.
moi aussi -- same set up... and i'd be an a$$ if i didn't say the M's images are better. for the price, they damned well better be! (the bokeh, though, can sometimes be more pleasing on the Ricoh)

more will be in the "review" but in a nutshell: there are times i do not want to take the Leica with me -- weight, size, cost (fear of theft), rain, whatever -- but i would still like to have a quality cam on me.... with the EVF and/or live view, there is a whole other dimension to shooting which is quite fun, including the cameras ability to see and focus when my eyes just can't.

also, sometimes, i want to get closer than the .7m near focus and the ability for macro is an added bonus... and last, but certainly not least, is it's silent. dead quiet. no one will ever know you took a shot. i am not a stealth shooter, but sometimes i really hate hearing that clack on the Leica (even in discreet) when everyone stares at you -- there is then never a chance for a second shot.

AF, at this point, is acceptable but i believe it is still being worked on. SNAP didn't do it for me, but manual focus and control (the ability to see and adjust shutter speed, EV, ISO, aperture -- all without taking your eyes off the subject) are fantastic (remember, all manual focus is done on the lens).

Lili

Charley, thanks so much. BTW my Hexar AF is sitting on the shelf before me now. It is the Gold Standard by which I would judge all Street-Shooting Cameras ;)

Lili

Cam, I envy you your chance to try out this Ricoh. Tell me, just how much larger than the GRD is it? I know the a12 lens does not retract, so it cannot be as svelte. Also how sturdy does the connection to lens module feel?
Recall I gave away 40mm adapter for my GRD away because it made the camera so bulky and the 40 was so exposed and felt so fragile out there.

cam

Cam, thank you...very helpful, and now even more tempted:confused:
welcome to my world!

Cam, I envy you your chance to try out this Ricoh. Tell me, just how much larger than the GRD is it? I know the a12 lens does not retract, so it cannot be as svelte. Also how sturdy does the connection to lens module feel?
Recall I gave away 40mm adapter for my GRD away because it made the camera so bulky and the 40 was so exposed and felt so fragile out there.
it really isn't that much larger (the base unit) and the grip is fantastic. i actually may like the way it feels in the hand more (and so do people with larger hands).

the module connection is rock solid. i've never had a worry about it at all.

there's no way around it, the 50mm does add bulk. however, the design of the lens is such that it feels a lot less vulnerable. i have thrown it in both my winter coat and purse without a problem. it honestly needs a little bulk or you'd be shaking like crazy when you shot with it.

Marcel was showing me a picture he took of the clouds in the sky and there was such detail in them! you'd never get that in a small sensor camera.... perhaps, maybe, this could be for you... not sure about your quick out the car window shots though ;)

Lili

welcome to my world!

it really isn't that much larger (the base unit) and the grip is fantastic. i actually may like the way it feels in the hand more (and so do people with larger hands).

Being able to feel secure while shooting can be more important that tiny size, IMHO

the module connection is rock solid. i've never had a worry about it at all.

That is all to the good, love :)

there's no way around it, the 50mm does add bulk. however, the design of the lens is such that it feels a lot less vulnerable. i have thrown it in both my winter coat and purse without a problem. it honestly needs a little bulk or you'd be shaking like crazy when you shot with it.

My biggest pet peeves with any digi-cam are dust and fragility. My Hexar, not that I abuse it, is built like a tank. The lens Barrel is effectively sealed with the B&W filter in place. This design of the GRX does appear to address many of these concerns, altho the extending and exposed barrel of the lens is a possible dust ingress point, albeit no more so than virtually any of my DSLR lenses! Currently, my larger-sensor carry-camera is my e410 or 510 with the 25mm pancake. I suspect the footprint, if not the bulk, of the 410 and GRX/A12 combo may be close but from what you say the GRX shutter is dead quiet. This is a very good thing.

Marcel was showing me a picture he took of the clouds in the sky and there was such detail in them! you'd never get that in a small sensor camera.... perhaps, maybe, this could be for you... not sure about your quick out the car window shots though ;)

Ah yes, the bigger sensor, tech not withstanding , do have a delicacy of draw that smaller ones cannot match; a HUGE reason I have my Pentax K100 still :)

Last edited:

Amin

I thought the II was a worthy upgrade to the original, and I think the III is a worthy upgrade to the II.

The GRD III is the perfect size for me. The build and controls are absolutely class leading, and the lens is excellent. One from today with the III: