The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which camera/sensor for which subject

Paratom

Just browsed through the "fun with small sensors/ images" thread and realized one thing (which is not a surprize at all):
Those small cameras seem really to extend the area of taking images.
There are many street life/ restaurant/ fun with kids/ etc etc images posted which are not found in lets say the "Fun with MF" thread.
Now I am not sure yet the 3/4-crew seems to be somewhere in between, however overall I find in the "small sensor-thread" the widest range of all situations in life" plus I find the most dynamic images.
What I also start feeling is that the technical imperfectness of small sensor can, if used propperly, even add character to images.
I am really motivated to focus more on the scenes and atmosphere than on the "perfect" composition. I am also motivated to start carrying a small sensor camera more often again.
I believe now that small sensor cameras are really underrated sometimes, specially in the time of 4/3 etc. I am not sure yet though if a Pen or GF1 with a small lens might even allow the same kind of photography. Maybe it does and would be an as good or even better tool. Not sure here.
Keep on posting please. Cheers, Tom

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Small Sensor Camera

I am also motivated to start carrying a small sensor camera more often again.
Never leave home without one!
Much as I like the G1 with its not-so run-of-the-mill kit lens I still take my G9 along with me sometimes.
The Canon S90 looks to be the latest ideal small sensor camera for the job IMO. I sure hope Santa's got one for me this year :D

smokysun

the smaller the camera, the less threatening you are, no question about it. you're just one of the mob. and it can be a great relief from hauling out the big stuff. i agree with everything said above.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

pollobarca

Yes, smaller is more practical at times, Last week I managed to get some photos with my Ricoh at the Blue Note, despite the photography ban during performance. A few people were stopped . My Black Ricoh ,with the EVF ( and not a searchlight LCD) as well as having the focus assist off, was not seen! I can also get pictures inside churches without a normal Tripod, using the Manfrotto Mini and some imagination.

all the best

paul

Lili

Nice shot Paul, love the lighting
I love my little Fuji, it goes with me everywhere.

Rule #1 in taking pictures; have a camera

Small cams make this ever so much easier

Paratom

selfportrait together with my daughter while checking out the new g11. 1600ISO out of the camera. just for fun.

O

Oxide Blu

I am really motivated to focus more on the scenes and atmosphere than on the "perfect" composition.

Tom, that says it all, right there.

I think of it as two kids of pictures -- those you take to please someone else, the technically superior imagery, and those you take to please yourself, the pictures of friends, family, and moments or places that have meaning to you. The second class of imagery does not need to be technically perfect.

Anyone that has a small sensor camera or cellphone camera ... and has a pet ... has a picture (or pictures) of their pet they will never part with.

One of the problems (for me) with small sensor pix I take is that I cannot bring myself to delete any of them -- even the crappy ones. With little cameras it is too easy to take a pictures, lots of pictures, so I take pix of everything, everywhere, all of the time. And most of them are "not good" images. I have an ever growing catalog of crappy images. I don't know why I save them. I think I need therapy. :D

pollobarca

oxide,
know what you mean. I've just got another 320gb of memory- I don't only keep the
originals (DNG+JPG 20mb each shot) but I keep all the saves i make during Pp, cropping
etc. My therapy is to "keep taking pictures" !:confused:

paul