The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I now have a DP1 to share with you...

DavidE

Here's an example of what the DP1 can do with B&W. Nice range of gradations in the middle grays. Less so with blacks and whites. I could increase the contrast, but thought the grays worked well here to echo the coins.

I used the included Sigma software to convert it to B&W (lowering the saturation level all the way down).

cam

You're right the UI needs finishing, but I'm enjoying the new learning curve until the E-420 arrives. After that I'll continue to use this for the quirky character... I'm expecting great results in B&W too.
ah, but you're tempting me mightily with the description of 'quirky'... i'm still thinking about getting this as a special treat, hoping to distract myself from the pain by learning a new camera.

i know you were back and forth about getting this, but you did. and it sounds like you're having fun and, perhaps, falling a bit in love with it -- not just a glancing fancy. am i right in this?

forgive my faulty memory, but did you have one of the Ricohs or good PanaLeicas to compare this to?

Brian Mosley

Hi cam,

yes, I only ever buy cameras I'm going to commit the effort to master... so I'm very happy with it. My other camera in this format is the Panasonic LX1.

I'll post more samples soon.

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

Hi cam,

yes, I only ever buy cameras I'm going to commit the effort to master... so I'm very happy with it. My other camera in this format is the Panasonic LX1.

I'll post more samples soon.

Kind Regards

Brian
jeez! just saw the thread trashing you in the DPR Sigma Forum. righteous bunch of a**holes, they are! almost enough to turn me off... but you, you and a handful of others kept me interested, so thank you!

played around with it yesterday afternoon and it was the first time i've been pain free since my surgery (granted, though, i'm paying for it today) so i ended up buying it...

it's most definitely not the be all and end all of compact cameras, but it does have it's own charm in all it's clunkiness. the GRDs are more suited for my type of photography, but this will be brilliant as i'm forced to slow down whilst healing. the size is not nearly as huge as i expected and i'm excited about the larger sensor for a different feel to my images. and it will also take quite some time to master, but i need that.

for people comparing it to the Ricohs -- don't! it's a different beast altogether... i think for many, they'll find one camera or the other better suited to their style and needs. for me to have both, well it's my poor man's version of having an M8 and a D300.... and i'm too chicken-sh*t to admit to my boyfriend that i bought it. shhhhhhhhh! :angel:

helenhill

Yeah Cam !!
Congrats on your new babie.....
Post some Pix & more Thoughts soooon
:clap::clap::clap::clap:
and to a Speedy & Painfree Recovery
All the Best.......
helen

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi cam, congratulations! it will be really nice to help each other through the learning curve :)

dpreview is a bit of a bear pit, but there are a few really cool people on there who tiptoe around the nonsense.

I took my DP1 on our supermarket shopping trip this morning, and on a black neck cord it's really low profile - with the 28mm fov you can point in the general direction and get some great shots while looking down at the camera's manual focusing wheel.

I'm using it with the preview lcd switched off completely, with no review - so it's nice and low profile. The write time is unfortunately still quite lengthy, even with a very fast SDHC card.

Also, I'm intending to work at large resolution - output from the Sigma raw developer as tiff, finish in lightzone and then finally scale down in Qimage Studio for export to jpeg to web... Qimage has fantastic anti-aliasing available for the scaling.

I hope that this will help you to focus on something so beautifully absorbing that it leads to a speedy recovery :) Big HUG!

Brian