Site Sponsors

Thread: I now have a DP1 to share with you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I now have a DP1 to share with you...

Hello everyone,

a couple of days ago, we had one of our Olympus UK Photo Safari Events, which I devised to bring together serious photographers (I dislike the term amateur - I'm not from a photographic background and find it a confusing term)... anyhow I managed to buy a Sigma DP1 and Denis Ong, a friend in our group kindly collected it and brought it with him.

Just to let you know that if you have any questions or requests - I'm your personal contact! lol

Here's a shot from yesterday of our labrador Casper, helping me to check out the dynamic range of the DP1.

There's an 'artificial' or perhaps 'heightened' colour character to the foveon sensor which I think will be interesting to play with... I like character!

As for the user interface - well, luckily I'm human, and we're quite good at adapting

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I now have a DP1 to share with you...

Wow, great sky!

I can see what you mean by " 'heightened' colour character"- it almost looks like an art-directed and studio-lit David La Chappell shot. Which is pretty cool, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Maggie

It's been adjusted a tiny bit for levels and colour in LightZone, but there's some lovely detail to work with!

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    Impressive!
    His Eyes glow....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Thank you Maggie

It's been adjusted a tiny bit for levels and colour in LightZone, but there's some lovely detail to work with!

Kind Regards

Brian
    Did you have to use the Sigma software to convert the RAW to JPEG or TIFF and then you worked in Lightzone or did you use a camera-generated JPEG or does Lightzone work with the RAW files?

Whatever method, it sure worked well!

Post Thanks / Like

it looks like a Disney movie. I'm kinda scared...

Post Thanks / Like

^
    Technicolor. A rather pronounced three strip effect, isn't it? But of course, the sensor is three layered. What about skin tones; more tanned than expected?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomasl.se View Post
    ^
    What about skin tones; more tanned than expected?
    If I also appear to have tighter abs and more handsome, I'll buy it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    If I also appear to have tighter abs and more handsome, I'll buy it!
    What do you want -- didn't GRD turn you into a CLA'd regular 6'2 blonde blue-eyed loverman already? You gotta send it back, dude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Did you have to use the Sigma software to convert the RAW to JPEG or TIFF and then you worked in Lightzone or did you use a camera-generated JPEG or does Lightzone work with the RAW files?

Whatever method, it sure worked well!
    I used the windows version of Sigma's RAW converter (v2.4) and exported to tiff... then in LightZone bumped up the colour even more with a relight layer (soft light) and relight normal + desaturate and save-as 800 x 600 resolution jpeg, 97% quality.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

Brian

hermie

... then in LightZone bumped up the colour even more with a relight layer (soft light) and relight normal + desaturate ...
    Wouldn't that, in part, explain the 'artificial' / 'heightened' color character?

I've ordered one last week. Still waiting ...

Herman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hermie View Post
    Wouldn't that, in part, explain the 'artificial' / 'heightened' color character?

I've ordered one last week. Still waiting ...

Herman
    No, the colour character is simply emphasised by my PP in LightZone... I like it!

Kind Regards

Brian

hermie

LightZone's Relight is a fantastic tool. My little niece + ice cream + Relight (Soft+Normal mode):

Post Thanks / Like

Hermie, beautiful image! Is this from a DP1 also?

Owen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello everyone,

a couple of days ago, we had one of our Olympus UK Photo Safari Events, which I devised to bring together serious photographers (I dislike the term amateur - I'm not from a photographic background and find it a confusing term)... anyhow I managed to buy a Sigma DP1 and Denis Ong, a friend in our group kindly collected it and brought it with him.

Just to let you know that if you have any questions or requests - I'm your personal contact! lol

Here's a shot from yesterday of our labrador Casper, helping me to check out the dynamic range of the DP1.

There's an 'artificial' or perhaps 'heightened' colour character to the foveon sensor which I think will be interesting to play with... I like character!

As for the user interface - well, luckily I'm human, and we're quite good at adapting

Kind Regards

Brian
    Brian I am going to be in the minority on this shot. In addition to just not loving the look, the dog's coat and the bush on the right seem overly sharpened which could happen in the posting. I'm going to be curious how the DP-1 does. I haven't heard too many people thrilled about the handling (write times, LCD, AF, Menus) and honestly I haven't seen a lot of shots that even remotely make me yearn for one. At DPReview I've seen a lot of muddy colors which is very opposite of this.

terry
    Last edited by Terry; 31st March 2008 at 17:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry, thank you for your honesty, I'm just getting to know the camera but it should be easier to lose that detail and sharpness in PP if I wish... than to gain sharp detail if it wasn't there to start with.

You're right the UI needs finishing, but I'm enjoying the new learning curve until the E-420 arrives. After that I'll continue to use this for the quirky character... I'm expecting great results in B&W too.

Bear with me, I'll be pushing it in all directions

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm curious to see how the 420 does vs the 410. A 520 would have been a real contender for me as I want it for long stuff and need IS. The 420 with the pancake(s) seems more versatile and appealing than the DP1 but I am sure a lot of people are going to have a lot of fun with the camera.

Sean_Reid

Thanks for posting. I'm eager to test this camera.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lots of people try to steal the Leica reputation by association... It's a shame Leica don't get commission for every mention of the M8 in descriptions of new cams - they'd never have to make another camera!

Having said all that, I love my old (6 month old!) E-400 and can't wait to try the E-420 + pancake on a Y-strap! it's a high quality cam indeed, and very responsive - fast AF and 9 RAW shot buffer at 3.5 fps followed by 1.1 fps to card full.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Thanks for posting. I'm eager to test this camera.

Cheers,

Sean
    Me too! I'm looking forward to seeing you shoot it in B&W Sean... it's a shame we're on different continents!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an example of what the DP1 can do with B&W. Nice range of gradations in the middle grays. Less so with blacks and whites. I could increase the contrast, but thought the grays worked well here to echo the coins.

I used the included Sigma software to convert it to B&W (lowering the saturation level all the way down).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You're right the UI needs finishing, but I'm enjoying the new learning curve until the E-420 arrives. After that I'll continue to use this for the quirky character... I'm expecting great results in B&W too.
    ah, but you're tempting me mightily with the description of 'quirky'... i'm still thinking about getting this as a special treat, hoping to distract myself from the pain by learning a new camera.

i know you were back and forth about getting this, but you did. and it sounds like you're having fun and, perhaps, falling a bit in love with it -- not just a glancing fancy. am i right in this?

forgive my faulty memory, but did you have one of the Ricohs or good PanaLeicas to compare this to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi cam,

yes, I only ever buy cameras I'm going to commit the effort to master... so I'm very happy with it. My other camera in this format is the Panasonic LX1.

I'll post more samples soon.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi cam,

yes, I only ever buy cameras I'm going to commit the effort to master... so I'm very happy with it. My other camera in this format is the Panasonic LX1.

I'll post more samples soon.

Kind Regards

Brian
    jeez! just saw the thread trashing you in the DPR Sigma Forum. righteous bunch of a**holes, they are! almost enough to turn me off... but you, you and a handful of others kept me interested, so thank you!

played around with it yesterday afternoon and it was the first time i've been pain free since my surgery (granted, though, i'm paying for it today) so i ended up buying it...

it's most definitely not the be all and end all of compact cameras, but it does have it's own charm in all it's clunkiness. the GRDs are more suited for my type of photography, but this will be brilliant as i'm forced to slow down whilst healing. the size is not nearly as huge as i expected and i'm excited about the larger sensor for a different feel to my images. and it will also take quite some time to master, but i need that.

for people comparing it to the Ricohs -- don't! it's a different beast altogether... i think for many, they'll find one camera or the other better suited to their style and needs. for me to have both, well it's my poor man's version of having an M8 and a D300.... and i'm too chicken-sh*t to admit to my boyfriend that i bought it. shhhhhhhhh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah Cam !!
    Congrats on your new babie.....
    Post some Pix & more Thoughts soooon

and to a Speedy & Painfree Recovery
    All the Best.......
    helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 5th April 2008 at 04:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi cam, congratulations! it will be really nice to help each other through the learning curve

dpreview is a bit of a bear pit, but there are a few really cool people on there who tiptoe around the nonsense.

I took my DP1 on our supermarket shopping trip this morning, and on a black neck cord it's really low profile - with the 28mm fov you can point in the general direction and get some great shots while looking down at the camera's manual focusing wheel.

I'm using it with the preview lcd switched off completely, with no review - so it's nice and low profile. The write time is unfortunately still quite lengthy, even with a very fast SDHC card.

Also, I'm intending to work at large resolution - output from the Sigma raw developer as tiff, finish in lightzone and then finally scale down in Qimage Studio for export to jpeg to web... Qimage has fantastic anti-aliasing available for the scaling.

I hope that this will help you to focus on something so beautifully absorbing that it leads to a speedy recovery Big HUG!

Brian