The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boxing Day 2009

Don Ellis

Every year, Leela and I go down to the sea and throw flowers into the water in remembrance of the people taken by the tsunami on Boxing Day 2004. And we take a few photos home with us. Here are three…

We live in a village in the Hong Kong countryside – Clear Water Bay, just a few minutes from the beach – so it’s the place we go every year. This year we arrived as the tide was coming in and we picked our way across the rocks to get to a remote part of the beach…

We threw our flowers in – against the wind and the water – and watched the waves thrown them back onto the rocks. I gathered them up and threw them out again, so we had a double ceremony this year…

And here’s Leela… she’s not a fan of posing for photos, so this is as close as you’re going to get to a portrait of the day…

Just before we go to the beach, I usually reread Leela’s story and she rereads mine. They are both reminders of the role that luck plays in our lives – and they're both long enough that we don’t usually get around to reading our own.

Don

Photos were taken with a Sigma DP2. Leela's holding her Christmas Canon S90.

Last edited:

Diane B

I love the one of Leela --and the one of the flowers on the rocks.

Since I've read both your tsunami stories in the past---I only know that we're grateful you both are still with us. And--it seems right to acknowledge that and the ones that were lost.

Diane

otumay

Very touching, Don, and so are your shots. They are the very best from a camera that I know I'll fall in love at first sight. Thank you.
Best,
Osman

D

D upton-Hackett.

What can one say. Beautiful stories wonderfully put - gorgeous images enhanced in black.

Thank you both for sharing.

Derek.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I really like the lovely photo of Leela. The stories are riveting and it is interesting to hear the story in the two different styles. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

Don Ellis

I love the one of Leela --and the one of the flowers on the rocks.

Since I've read both your tsunami stories in the past---I only know that we're grateful you both are still with us. And--it seems right to acknowledge that and the ones that were lost.

Diane
Hi Diane... what a lovely surprise to see you here. Thank you for the kind words. Last year we threw in these huge yellow chrysanthemum balls that were a little past their prime and they exploded when they hit the waves, with each of the hundreds of petals suddenly on its own. It was one of those occurrences that couldn't have been predicted and was as surprising as the event itself.

This year we couldn't find chrysanthemums -- could hardly find anything we liked -- but finally chose whatever these are (Mr. Botanist here). Again it was interesting because the waves threw them back almost immediately... at least the first time.

Cheers,
Don

Last edited:

Don Ellis

Very touching, Don, and so are your shots. They are the very best from a camera that I know I'll fall in love at first sight. Thank you.
Best, Osman
Thank you, Osman... yes, you will enjoy this camera and I'm liking it even more today. I've been using it with the DP2 filter adapter and lens hood -- even found a 46mm polarizer for it -- but yesterday my 52mm Lensmate adapter arrived and it is much nicer, at least for my taste. The 52mm is a more popular size for filters, of course, but even more than that, it looks better. The DP2 adapter narrows at the filter end and it has an exposed thread which looks pretty ugly (to me) when the lens hood isn't attached. I won't describe it beyond that but will will try to take a photo soon and show you what I mean. I'm much happier with the overall appearance now.

Thanks again for your nice comments.
Don

Don Ellis

What can one say. Beautiful stories wonderfully put - gorgeous images enhanced in black.
Thank you both for sharing.
Derek.
Hi Derek... thank you very much. It was interesting to Leela and me, as well, to write our stories separately and then compare them when they were finished. Obvious differences but it seems like we were there together.

I still haven't reread my story this year, so I don't know if I mentioned all the color shots were done with a Canon G2, and all the infrared with a modified Canon G1. (Everyone always asks what camera I was using -- it's a strange thing about photography; they all want to know about gear. No one ever reads my story and asks me about my pen. :))

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

I really like the lovely photo of Leela. The stories are riveting and it is interesting to hear the story in the two different styles. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos.
Miss Flood... how appropriate. :) And how kind... thank you for the generous comments. Yes, they are definitely his and her stories, as you noticed. I showed Leela everyone's comments here and she remarked on how nice you all are. Thanks again.

Don

otumay

Thank you for your informative reply, Don. I'm looking forward to see what your DP2 looks like after all the metamorphoses it has gone through;)
Best,
Osman