The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Security guards and police

pollobarca

One time ,about 6 years ago , I pointed a camera at a guard in Tirana Albania.
He Pointed a kalishnikov at me and wasnt joking.
Really depend where you are if you can do this sort of thing , heres 2 gentle ones in Bergamo:-

The Pictures from Edinburgh are great BTW!

Last edited:

Will

The End of Print, I'm not prepared to be gentle about photos as good as these! I'm inclined to say quite aggressively that they are superb. ;)

T

The End Of Print

hehe thanks for the aggressively good crit will.

was pretty taking these photos, you can see some of the officers in them giving me the stare!

The Police Evidence Gatherers (you can see one in the first pic) all had video cameras and were videoing the proceedings.
My opinion is - hey, if they are allowed to film US then we should be allowed to catch THEM on film too ;)

les

Wow, what an interesting photo series (as has been Lili's 'commutes').
But more than a little sobering to see that heavily armed police are common sights on streets everywhere, something that at one time was unknown in the western world.
Particularly poignant for me was to see that Edinburgh, my home city, is up there with the rest of them. 'The End of Print's' pictures show more coppers than would have comprised the entire city force in years past. At that time of course, they were only armed with a whistle, a notebook and a pencil.
What would Dixon have made of it all..........

pollobarca

Unfortunately Doxon of Dick Green never really existed.
Have any of us looked at many airports now-doing the paperwork (passport control) we have Policemen or State employees.
Doing the security check ,that is looking for arms and frisking people , we have private security companies paid for by the airport. Perhaps it should be the other way round.

The End of Print-Your great photos are not like the Edinburgh I remember.
I last went during festival time and remember seeing a Girl dancing on a post box,fire-eaters etc etc. It was a party!Your photos give an impression of Warsaw early 80's... This sort of photography makes us wake up a bit to the "soft" repression we are under.

T

The End Of Print

pollobarca
yeah the images, particularly the one outside Frasers, looks like a photo from russia in the early 80s, think its the communist-style building that does it in that pic.

These photos were taken in Edinburgh a year or two? ago when the "Make Poverty History" demonstrations were happening. The city was mobbed with police - extra officers were drafted up from england to cope with the crowds.

Was quite scary but really exciting to take those pics. You can see some of the officers giving me the "stare" in those pics.

helenhill

Hi i'm new here so be gentle with photo criticism :p
Saw this topic and thought id post some pics i took a year or so ago in Edinburgh.
QUITE INTENSE Shots
Were those taken during the World Summit / G8 event ?
I only know & love Edinburgh during THE FRINGE & HOGMANAY (peace, good cheer & a jolly good time)
so these shots give me goosebumps
thanx for posting......Great Shots..... adds to the security & police noir mystique
All the Best, helen

Will

I was at Bluewater in Essex this evening getting my son some new school shoes and this is what we saw when we came out into the car park. I took lots of images because it was hand held at 1/10 second exposure so I wanted to make sure I got a steady one. AS I was finishing an extremely polite security guard came up and said that there is a no photography policy at Bluewater because of the potential terrorist risk. I pointed out I was taking a picture from Bluewater, not of Bluewter! Surprisingly this failed to annoy him and he apologized and commented on how good the sky looked but that I really wasn't allowed to take photos so could I please not do so next time I was there. He then said if I thought this view was good I should see what it is like when he is there at dawn! LOL nice bloke.

Anyway this is it, not of a security guard but whilst being told off by one :D
GRD2 f 2.8 1/10s ISO80 hand held

Will

I love the Robin Hood BBC poster on the bus behind the sherif of New York on the street, all you need is an arrow sticking out from the one holding his chest and it would be perfect :D LOL

Amazing strong images from you as usual helen!

P

pcheywood

Great images Helen, you seem to have found another megaphone!

Paul.

helenhill

BOB
Shooting police...........
Are you sure you'll be able to make it to Brunch

WILL
I adore the B&W version and probably crop up to the first light post

Best, helen