The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Then I must be a small sensor kind of guy...

D

dickinsonjon

Last week I took a plunge and ordered a Nikon D40, thinking the huge sensor and reflex viewfinder (amongst other things) would signal a new age of photographic nirvana. After the first few days I realised several basic facts:

1. I actually prefer LCD compostion, then I can see outside the frame.
2. In the situations where high ISO performance of an APS-C sensor would be useful, I'd almost never be carrying it.
3. In fact, I just didn't want to carry it around - I'm an opportunistic photographer, i.e. I take photos during my life in general.
4. So why didn't I just buy a GX100 instead then eh?

So, I packed up the DSLR and it's going back tomorrow for a refund, and now I have to get back to the decision between GX100, LX2 and G9 that was occupying me before I was diverted from my real needs! I suspect it's going to be GX100 time. And I didn't return the 4GB Extreme III SDHC card, figured that will come in handy:)

And this morning, we had a very rare case of several inches of snow, so I went out and about, armed with my trusty compact, and grabbed a few shots of the snow. Here's one:

Cheers
JD

thomasl.se

1. I actually prefer LCD compostion, then I can see outside the frame.
2. In the situations where high ISO performance of an APS-C sensor would be useful, I'd almost never be carrying it.
3. In fact, I just didn't want to carry it around - I'm an opportunistic photographer, i.e. I take photos during my life in general.
4. So why didn't I just buy a GX100 instead then eh?
I'm pretty sure that if you stay tuned, someone will suggest a Foveon sensor compact ;)

Brian Mosley

I'm hoping to get together with Rich Simpson, to do a head to head comparison with the DP1, GX100, GRD2, LX1 and Dlux3... I suspect the GRD2 will be a more practical camera than the DP1 - but I'm glad I went with the DP1, because I suspect that with enough effort it will be capable of fantastic DSLR style results.

Kind Regards

Brian

D

dickinsonjon

The DP1 is an interesting looking product, but it's a bit 'beta' at the moment, if you know what I mean. Very promising though, and tempting indeed. I'm quite attracted by the range of looks possible with the GX100 files, and even the straight JPEGs are pretty good for some subject matter. You can kind of see where I'm going with this? :)

Brian Mosley

I like the flexibility of the GX100, but the lens on the GRD2 is very good indeed... and you get great dof with the small Ricohs, which can be a major advantage in some situations.

Not an easy choice, but I already had my Panasonic LX1 for the small sensor advantage.

Kind Regards

Brian

D

dickinsonjon

Thanks for the input folks - it now looks like I've a few more weeks of thinking to do as my car requires about three camera's worth of work done to it - urgently! I'll carry on shootin' with the little Fuji in the meantime though, and enjoying every minute.

Lili

Thanks for the input folks - it now looks like I've a few more weeks of thinking to do as my car requires about three camera's worth of work done to it - urgently! I'll carry on shootin' with the little Fuji in the meantime though, and enjoying every minute.
F30?
Nice little camera, despite the lack of raw and the less-than-intuitive interface

D

dickinsonjon

A Finepix Z1 as a matter of fact - it's quite difficult to get it to do what you want but at a push it is persuadable - just. Sometimes it's fun working around a set of limitations to achieve a result - but sometimes you just run out of options :)

D

dickinsonjon

You're making me hungry now, and it's only 0944hrs here in England!