The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exceptional DP1 photos shared here!

helenhill

No matter which CAMERA Jim uses
His Work is Magic
thanx for posting bbodine9.....lusting for the DP1 anyone ?
Cheers! helen

DavidE

Wow, those are terrific shots. I already have a DP1, so I'm lusting for the knowledge/talent/skill to create comparable images with it.

cam

No matter which CAMERA Jim uses
His Work is Magic
thanx for posting bbodine9.....lusting for the DP1 anyone ?
so true!!!

anyways, this is a heads-up to tell anyone who looked at the gallery to do so again. he finally has the ones he shot of B.B. King up. as awesome as the Farmers Market shots are (incredible but so totally not my style), i think the ones of the concert are really mind-blowing. they make most of our compacts look like tinker toys.... whoa!

helenhill

cam; said:
so true!!!

anyways, this is a heads-up to tell anyone who looked at the gallery to do so again. he finally has the ones he shot of B.B. King up. as awesome as the Farmers Market shots are (incredible but so totally not my style), i think the ones of the concert are really mind-blowing. they make most of our compacts look like tinker toys.... whoa!
CAM:
Give us a tease PLEASE / Post one Shot from your DP1
as long as it does not hurt your arm
(promise not to tell your boyfriend about your new trinket)
Hurry & Get Well so you'll be in GREAT Shooting Shape for NYC
Cheers! helen

cam

CAM:
Give us a tease PLEASE / Post one Shot from your DP1
as long as it does not hurt your arm
(promise not to tell your boyfriend about your new trinket)
Hurry & Get Well so you'll be in GREAT Shooting Shape for NYC
Cheers! helen
first to clarify -- when i say Jim's shots aren't my style, i didn't mean i didn't like them, simply that i so rarely see things that way. and, to be honest, this is where the DP1 excels.... when you take the time to stop, think, compose, prepare, yada yada. slow deliberation, reviling in the beauty in front of you.

it is so contrary to how i shoot. most of the time i'm rushing right in the middle, getting lost in the moment, and snapping tidbits, hoping to capture a glance. the DP1 is there to let you absorb rather than skim... i have a lot to learn with this camera. both how to make it sing for the images it wants to make and also how to make it bow to my will and style.

that said, i am so so so a GRD girl! but i don't regret the DP1 as i think it will make me grow as a photographer deliciously. when the shot is spot on, it does take your breath away.

i took a shot of a sleeping pigeon and it seriously floored me -- the depth, the detail, and that was on the DP1's crappy screen... don't know how exciting a pic it is though ;) as for street shots and what not, i've been playing around but cutting off an awful lot of heads (complications/weakness from surgery). in other words, i'm not being stingy, just not sure if i have anything worthy of sharing yet....

Brian Mosley

Hi cam, good to hear you're enjoying it! it's great to add a totally different camera (especially one with a funky different sensor technology) to inspire us to think and shoot differently...

I can't wait for my replacement DP1 to arrive... hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime, check out Qimage Studio for maximum quality of scaling - it smooths out the AA jaggies nicely!

Glad you stayed safe in Paris - I know how frustrating it feels to get unjustly banned! lol no fear of that around here :) much more civilised company and hosts.

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

am just starting to view the images full screen (hadn't installed the software before -- which, btw, is painfully slow on my mac).... OMG!!! my first reaction was, **ck me!

keep in mind that up till now i have been strictly a small sensor being. i don't have a DSLR or an M8, so i'm very much the innocent in that way. a virgin, if you will. i've never seem images i've made on a larger sensor.

these blow my mind. truly! they are *that* good :grin: when you stop to think that such an itty bitty thing can capture that depth and detail. wowzee!!! and the colours (keep in mind that i really don't care for colour) are astonishing!

okay now. scraping my jaw off the floor and going back to view more pics. just had to share that initial impression... breathless!!!

kai.e.g.

The good part is the SLR-like quality of these images. When its good, it's very good indeed. Despite the naysayers in other forums, F/4 does not necessarily spell doom in low-light.

The bad part, visible in some of Jim's shots (ie, the "still life" of lemons) is the signature Sigma characteristic of green & magenta splotches, which I've also seen in many Sigma SD-14 slr photographs. That's an ugly bi-product of the Foveon sensor about which I've yet to read a clear explanation (but I have read lots of down-playing about it, which suggests to me that it's in the "too hard" basket, unfortunately).

If they can fix the latter, plus make the whole thing more responsive in operation & less cumbersome in handling, I'd definitely buy a DP-2 or DP-3 (or whatever they call the next generation). As it stands right now, I just can't see myself paying the premium for this camera, despite its obvious good qualities.

JDavila

Cam,

LOL, your killing me!!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::

Feel better and post those wonderful shots you speak of, pleeeeeaaaasssseeeee:scry:

jeff

cam

The good part is the SLR-like quality of these images. When its good, it's very good indeed. Despite the naysayers in other forums, F/4 does not necessarily spell doom in low-light.

The bad part, visible in some of Jim's shots (ie, the "still life" of lemons) is the signature Sigma characteristic of green & magenta splotches, which I've also seen in many Sigma SD-14 slr photographs. That's an ugly bi-product of the Foveon sensor about which I've yet to read a clear explanation (but I have read lots of down-playing about it, which suggests to me that it's in the "too hard" basket, unfortunately).

If they can fix the latter, plus make the whole thing more responsive in operation & less cumbersome in handling, I'd definitely buy a DP-2 or DP-3 (or whatever they call the next generation). As it stands right now, I just can't see myself paying the premium for this camera, despite its obvious good qualities.
your negatives are true -- the signature Sigma splotches (don't forget those funny red dots for flare), lack of responsiveness, and kludgy handling. and you can add to that the fact that larger sensor's DOF make it truly less forgiving (it's really easy to get bad bokeh with this) if a) you don't know what you're doing and/or b) you are shooting on the fly.

but when you get it spot on, it is simply stunning. and there is an almost three dimensional quality that i've rarely seen. you feel like you can reach out and touch it!

there are many like you that will wait. common sense and bank account says i should have as well. however, i don't regret buying it now. as i said, i don't have a DSLR yet... this gives me that amazing quality for less than the price of many lens.

i am not saying at all that this is a *must have* simply that it has many more positives than a lot of people (other than Sigma fanboys) give it credit for. it's quite simply gorgeous, even with all it's special, um, features ;)

for me, personally, and my typical style of shooting, i would still have to choose the GRDII if i could only have one camera. period. however, i'm tickled pink that i can easily carry the DP1 with me as well. it may be a beta product, but it's an exceptional one.

cam

Cam,

LOL, your killing me!!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::

Feel better and post those wonderful shots you speak of, pleeeeeaaaasssseeeee:scry:
:ROTFL::ROTFL: Jeff, happy to oblige :ROTFL::ROTFL:

making you crazy, i mean! as for putting them up....

i have to say that most of the pics aren't all that great photographically speaking. technically stunning, yes, but as great photos go -- they're not. many of what i've got show the potential of this camera. the ones i actually kind of like as photos do not show where the DP1 really shines. and that's more driver error (i really am having difficulty to hand movement and arm strength) than the camera's limitations.

another strength of the DP1, btw, is the ability to bracket or get continous shots in RAW. very cool! (tells you something about *my* strength right now, though. in continuous mode [where one press of the shutter gives you 3 images], i usually get only 2 and sometimes 1 :cry:

kai.e.g.

The good news is that Sigma's just-released firmware & software updates (8 April 2008) apparently fixes the "green corners" issue - this might well also fix up some of the other green/magenta splotching issues that crop up [fingers crossed]?

Lili

Jims work is awesome indeed!
It makes the DP-1 just that much more tempting....
Cam I really want to see your work with this camera as well, how it does on the Paris Streets. But don't over do it; relapses are so not fun :(

cam

for Lili: not exceptional DP1 photos

Lili, for you...

neither is exceptional, nor the best to show off the DP1's prowess (Jim's do that). and i have many that are technically better. for some reason, though, i just kind of liked these two shots. perhaps it's just my mood?

both are taken at 800 (RAW), no noise reduction (my processing is not spot on either -- it's difficult right now). the metro station shows you a bit of the depth i was talking about. the second, well, is not really in focus at all but i liked the film-like feel.

again, these are not my best shots! (and why do i have a feeling that Sigma fanboys will be up in arms at what i'm going to come up with with this cam?)

cam

Loved the mood & tones of the subway photo
Cheers! helen
thank you, helen! LOL -- the second one really does suck, but there was just something that attracted me to it (in other words, ignore it).

i put up a metro station shot because this is one instance where the DP1 truly sucks, especially in comparison to the GRDII. there is something about the lighting that the DP1 just refuses to accept. however, this shot proves it *can* be done if you persevere and i liked the depth that f/4 and the larger sensor gave me. (still, i'll probably stick with the GRDII underground unless i'm feeling particularly masochistic.)

as for tones, desaturated master by 88 (the colours at 800 are already slightly anaemic) and brought up the red afterwards by 88. i could have gone completely B/W, but i loved the way the slight red tone brought up the deadly pallor in the face.

Lili

Cam,
Excellent!
I do like the second very very much, it is very street.
As we run through our lives we do not see absolutely everything in sharp focus, rather we see them in a series of vignettes.
And that is what you caught here :)

cam

nearly departed

Cam,
Excellent!
I do like the second very very much, it is very street.
As we run through our lives we do not see absolutely everything in sharp focus, rather we see them in a series of vignettes.
And that is what you caught here :)
LOL! i guess i'm feeling really needy right now :angel: thank you for indulging me! i'm not feeling sharp so the razor pictures just don't draw me right now (along with the fact that they are dreadfully boring).

one of the joys i've had with all my cameras is the quality of its **ck-ups. this one demonstrates what happens in the metro station to an extreme (totally driver error here). and, again, totally blasphemous from a DP1 quality point of view -- but i like it.

DavidE

Cam, I like your photos, including the screw-up subway photo. It has an ethereal quality that would be difficult to duplicate intentionally. At some point, the expressive power of photography has to be able to override its documenting capabilities.

Here's one from my GRD2.

Last edited: