The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Limited run of Richard Franiec's Canon G9 Grip

Don Ellis

I was one of the first buyers of this grip and liked it so much that I bought another for Leela's G9 -- and then I created a webpage to tell other people about his accessories.

I'm posting this because Richard discontinued the G9 Grip some time ago -- not surprising, really, since there have been two G-cameras since then -- but enough people have asked about it that he is doing a limited production run.

If you have a G9 and want a better grip on it, you can find details on his webpage:
http://www.kleptography.com/rf

Here's hoping this message doesn't contravene forum rules -- if it does, please delete it and accept my apologies. If it's any consideration, I'm just a concerned citizen, not a venture capitalist. :)

Cheers,
Don

In the interests of posting something truly photo-related, here's the picture I took of my camera with the grip and the Lensmate adapter and a UV filter. It was shot in a light tent and the most difficult thing was shooting it with the (very reflective) UV filter in place.

I solved the problem by holding a piece of black cardboard in front of it so that it would reflect black. Then it was just a matter of cloning out the inevitable specks of dust -- it is truly amazing what close-up photography reveals in terms of your cleaning habits.

Howard

Don,

I agree with you, I use Richard's grip on my G9 and it makes a significant difference on the handling and feel of the camera.

Howard

O

Oxide Blu

Anyone that has a G9 and does not have that grip should jump at this opportunity to get it. It is a day and night difference in the handling of the G9. Never understood why Canon did not design the G9 with a reasonable grip.

O

Oxide Blu

I bought 'brains' a G9 when it was the current G model -- and the grip, the lens/filter adapter, and thumb thingy. After installing the grip there seemed no real need for the thumb thingy, never put it on, still sitting here in a bag. The thought was the thumb thingy is more personal as to where to put it. Once attached, it fits one size of hand, could be less comfortable for another size hand. Not an issue if you don't share your camera.

DHart

I got the grip for my G9 as well and it made a wonderful difference on this great camera!

Side note-Now that I have a ZS3 and a GF1, though, I'm wondering what to do with my beloved G9. For movies, the ZS3 is far better. For stills... the GF1. What's a guy to do with a G9 now? Don't really want to let it go, but I don't see where I'll use it now. Hmmmmmmm.

Don Ellis

Now Shipping!

Richard began shipping his G9 grips on 5 February 2010 -- and already half the production run of 100 grips is gone.

Just a note for those who are thinking about buying one.

Cheers,
Don