The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX100 - is dust really a problem?

D

dickinsonjon

In researching my final choice of camera after my recent DSLR cul-de-sac, I've pretty much come down to the GX100 and the Panny LX2(so much cheaper to buy than the dlux3 in the UK). I'm more or less settled on the GX100 in terms of files, ergonomics and focal length preferences, but I keep reading about the 'dust problem'. Now, I know you can catch any disease you like if you go on the internet, and dust 'problems' are apparently the bane of many camera owners, and apparently GX100 owners especially, as it requires a return-to-base repair.

But.... I wonder if it's really that bad, so I thought I'd ask the question of you folks here as I have great respect for you as a group of real-life small camera users. Wouter I know you have had bother with dust in your camera, anyone else got any experiences? And just how bad actually was it? My main worry is that the internet will put me off buying what is otherwise a stunning tool for what I want to do with my photography, and I am inclined to just stop worrying about it and get on with it. Should I, shouldn't I? And one final question, are other cameras just as bad but we don't really hear about them? The DL3/LX2?

Cheers
JD

W

wbrandsma

Hi JD,

I had dust problems twice, but I would still say it is a good buy. Don't be feared by all those stories. It is a great, unique, and special camera. The price is getting even better and I have had excellent experiences with their customer service.
The Canon G7/G9 and Sigma DP1 can catch dust too as I read so on dpreview recently.

Brian Mosley

Hi JD, if it's any help - I've had my Panasonic LX1 for years and never had a single dust spot. I think that if you keep your camera in a case, you should be OK. I received my DP1 with dust on the sensor, I'm convinced this was contamination in the factory - and have heard a few DP1 owners who claim to have had their cameras through dusty environments with no problem.

I think you're right - don't worry about it until you see it...

Kind Regards

Brian

D

dickinsonjon

Right, I'm not going to worry about it then. Case closed!

Thanks
JD

G

gregg

My GX100 is "at the shop" right now for dust removal. It only appeared in bright conditions when the ND filter engaged. Hopefully it is a quick fix.

My primary use of the GX100 is in low-light so I didn't even notice it for 3 months until we went to the beach for vacation...

Great camera - no regrets even with the need for a cleaning.

Gregg

pjphoto59

Hi JD,

I had dust problems twice, but I would still say it is a good buy. Don't be feared by all those stories. It is a great, unique, and special camera. The price is getting even better and I have had excellent experiences with their customer service.
The Canon G7/G9 and Sigma DP1 can catch dust too as I read so on dpreview recently.
I too had the dust problem once. It happened only a few days after I got the GX100, and the dealer exchanged it for a new one. Since then I take great care, and always keep the lens cap on except when actually shooting, with no trouble so far.

Until I got this camera I never heard of non DSLR cameras getting dust inside. I have had a Kodak DC210, Olympus C2000, C4040, C5050 and Fuji E550 and F10 and never had a dust problem with any of them.

As Wouter says, the same thing reportedly happens with the G7 and G9 although I had not heard of it in the SP1.

No camera is perfect but the GX100 really is very good indeed. Even if you do have dust inside, you will not see it shooting at f4 or so. Stopping down shows the dust up and also gives softness due to diffraction.

Has anyone ever experienced dust problems in a GRD or GRD2??

If not, that might make a GRD2 a better buy than a GX100

Peter