The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Similar Shots: DP1 & GRD2

DavidE

Here are similar shots from my recent trip to Vegas. The angles were different, and they were shot on different days. On the other hand, both were shot at ISO 400, and the lighting was essentially the same.

The first image is with the DP1 (1/30th of a second exposure), and second image is with the GRD2 (1/40th of a second exposure). They were handheld shots, so that could affect overall sharpness. I may have been steadier on one day than the other.

One big difference: The highlights hold up much better with the DP1 (less severe blowouts in the lightest areas).

Martin S

I am interested in the DP-1, and I would expect that the larger sensor to have a larger dynamic range.

Thanks for the comparison images.

Martin

Lili

Interesting David
The DP-1 image is razor sharp ( in part perhaps due to steadiness issues) and the highlights do hold up well
RAW or JPEG?
For both that is

DavidE

Lili,

Both were shot RAW. I had to use different RAW converters, so that's another variable.

Both were shot wide-open (f/4 for DP1 and f/2.4 for GRD2).

Given the difference in sensor size, I think the GRD2 holds up pretty well with color, noise, and dynamic range. It should have been sharper, so I assume there's a steadiness issue here with my shooting the GRD2 versus the DP1.

Lili

Lili,

Both were shot RAW. I had to use different RAW converters, so that's another variable.

Both were shot wide-open (f/4 for DP1 and f/2.4 for GRD2).

Given the difference in sensor size, I think the GRD2 holds up pretty well with color, noise, and dynamic range. It should have been sharper, so I assume there's a steadiness issue here with my shooting the GRD2 versus the DP1.
Yes, I had noted the softness, I suspect if the highlights were sharper we might see more detail in the GRD II example than we do now ( a blurred highlight would tend to appear hot)
Do you find the DP-1 easier to handhold?

Last edited:

DavidE

For me, the DP1 is harder to handhold. It has raised dots on the front and back for your right hand, but it isn't as solid a grip as with the GRD2. The DP1 is slightly heavier (and more expensive) than the GRD2, which makes me a bit more skittish about possibly dropping it.

I found that with both cameras, if you're facing people, and you raise the camera far over your head, they assume you're shooting something behind them, since most people don't realize that a wide-angle lens would include them. The LCD screens on both cameras work reasonably well when viewed off axis at extreme angles.

Lili

For me, the DP1 is harder to handhold. It has raised dots on the front and back for your right hand, but it isn't as solid a grip as with the GRD2. The DP1 is slightly heavier (and more expensive) than the GRD2, which makes me a bit more skittish about possibly dropping it.

I found that with both cameras, if you're facing people, and you raise the camera far over your head, they assume you're shooting something behind them, since most people don't realize that a wide-angle lens would include them. The LCD screens on both cameras work reasonably well when viewed off axis at extreme angles.
David that makes that DP-1 shot even more impressive!
I wonder i anyone will make a silicone skin for the DP-1,
BTW I didn't mean to denigrate your GRD II shot.
As to the overhead thing, I use that trick a lot as here;

DavidE

Lili, looks like you may also have needed the height to get a better shot over someone's head.

Don't worry about denigrating the GRD2 shot. It's no great piece of art. It does have a friendly feel, though. The woman running the stand wanted me to participate, so I indicated I just wanted to take a picture. She then poised, and that caused the girl to turn around to see what was going on. Just wished it had come out sharper.

Here's another handheld DP1 photo that was shot at ISO 400, 1/30th second, and f/4.

Last edited:

helenhill

DavidE; said:
Here's another handheld DP1 photo that was shot at ISO 400, 1/30th second, and f/4.

Hi David
I couldn't resist posting this GR D2 photo : ISO 80 / F4., 1/15th
(do hope you don't mind :) )
to Compliment your DP1 Sweet Shop Photo..... which I adore
All the Best, Helen

A

asabet

David, thanks for these comparison photos. That the GRD2 lens being about 1.5 stops more open in this comparison with only a 33% faster shutter and equal ISO and apparent exposure suggests that there was a bit less than half as much light available for the GRD2 shot as for the DP1 shot. This makes the GRD 2 noise performance more impressive. As you say though, the main difference here is in highlight retention.

DavidE

Helen, nice Sweet Shop. Do they do long-distance take-out (or take-away, as they say in the UK)? I like the off-angle that includes the two gold chairs, as well as the recurrent interplay between curves and straight lines. More to the point, it looks like a great place to spend an hour.

Amin, I had set the manual shutter speed on the DP1 to 1/30 (as opposed to 1/40), thinking it might need a little help in low light, because of the slower lens. I’m still getting a feel for where to set the shutter speed when handholding a 28mm lens. Overall, I was impressed by the GRD2’s performance, especially in low light. Given the difference in sensor size, it did remarkably well, even with noise, as you point out.