The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A bit of Survey

cjlacz

I like to travel light so my first choice would probably be the GRD2, charger, 21, 40, an extra battery or two and some large memory cards.

On the heavier side it would probably be the Oly E-420 with the Leica 14-150mm and one or two extra lenses. Something wide angle, so the 8mm fisheye. If I take another it would be the pancake or 50mm.

Stuff clothes and camera into a pack a little smaller then your maximum legal carry and I'm ready to go.

A

asabet

Tough question. I'd probably go with film and take the OM-2N and Zuiko OM 40mm f/2 lens. That's just what I enjoy the most at the moment. Maybe the 5D with a 28mm prime for wide angle and low light. I reserve the right to change my answer in a week though, since a Fed Ex truck is currently bringing an E-420 and I have a DP1 on order with Canoga ;-).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am on one (well, only China and back to Massachusetts).
Two M8s
CV12, WATE, 28/2 35/1.4, 50/2.5, CV75, 90/2 ASPH.
All in one small bag
Oh, and a DMC-LX2 in my pocket
-bob

F

flagger

For film it would probably be my Oly XA (yes still use it and just brought a second spare on ebxx) (The QL17 backup maybe?)

For digital it would be my Panasonic LC1 (the black D2) I have used it numerous times around the world and always take 3 batteries (and never need more than 1 and half..)
Its much bigger than my Canon S400 which I originally got to be an always carry camera for putting on my belt but so much better (it always takes a picture whenever I hit the shutter even if [I'm/] its wrong!!)

If I had space it would be the K10d (with M42 CZ/Pentacon lens...+an MTL or EE for backup) but with battery grip and real glass its a monster.

cheers
Graham

(still dreaming of a GX100, except the LC1 is still going strong... and appears to have lower noise 8/ )

PeterA

I would pick up my balck paint MP with a 28 cron and brick of TRX shoved in a DRIZ-abone Coat -in case it rained.

nostatic

I know this'll make me unpopular in this forum, but the image quality of the M8 is what makes me want to use it more than the D-Lux 3. I look at photos from the little Leica and more often than not, I wish I'd taken them with the M8.
as I've shot more with my K20d, I understand the sentiment. When I pixel peep, the files from the K20d are clearly better (pun intended).

BUT, I just got back 16x20 prints of some of my shots from Hong Kong, all taken with the DLux3. All turned out stunning. And when I do a walkabout, I certainly have an easier time with the DLux3 than with the K20d, as I usually will want a couple of lenses with me (though I've had the new 35mm ltd macro on the camera solid since I got it last week).

I played with an M8 last week. I didn't bond with it, and it isn't that much smaller than my K20d. It doesn't strike me as nearly as pocketable and portable on the street as the DLux3 or GR2. At some point I bet you'll rediscover it...

Of course with all that on the recent trip to Yosemite I took both :p

Lili

as I've shot more with my K20d, I understand the sentiment. When I pixel peep, the files from the K20d are clearly better (pun intended).

BUT, I just got back 16x20 prints of some of my shots from Hong Kong, all taken with the DLux3. All turned out stunning. And when I do a walkabout, I certainly have an easier time with the DLux3 than with the K20d, as I usually will want a couple of lenses with me (though I've had the new 35mm ltd macro on the camera solid since I got it last week).

I played with an M8 last week. I didn't bond with it, and it isn't that much smaller than my K20d. It doesn't strike me as nearly as pocketable and portable on the street as the DLux3 or GR2. At some point I bet you'll rediscover it...

Of course with all that on the recent trip to Yosemite I took both :p

When I succumb to the pixel peeping mania, I find most cameras dissappointing :( My K100D with a good prime does the best then. However when I print to reasonable sizes I don't see the flaws anymore. I have to remind myself, how often does one really look at any image at the pixel level anyway?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Digital M8 and 35 IV Cron for a second lens the Nocti third 90 non-ASPH 'Cron

Film M4 and use the same lenses.

GR-DII is always in my pocket now anyway...

DavidE

Since my GRD2 now has a place on my belt, I would have to bring it. I would have to bring my Sigma DP1, especially for strong-light exterior shots. That leaves my Canon 40D. I can't imagine not bringing it, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, and the Canon 24-105 f/4 IS zoom. (If I'm not going to bring the 40D on a world tour, why the heck did I buy it?) Then again, the 40D is too large and heavy to trek around on a daily basis.

OK, after objecting that this is a totally unfair question (I would try to bring all three), the order would probably be DP1, GRD2, and 40D. The more practical answer is I would bring both the GRD2 and DP1, and also pack the 40D and lenses, if there was room in the bag. If I could bring my lightweight tripod, that would help tilt the choice to the DP1 over the GRD2, though it would pain me to leave the GRD2 behind (can I hide it in a shoe?).

cam

Since my GRD2 now has a place on my belt, I would have to bring it. I would have to bring my Sigma DP1, especially for strong-light exterior shots. That leaves my Canon 40D. I can't imagine not bringing it, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, and the Canon 24-105 f/4 IS zoom. (If I'm not going to bring the 40D on a world tour, why the heck did I buy it?) Then again, the 40D is too large and heavy to trek around on a daily basis.

OK, after objecting that this is a totally unfair question (I would try to bring all three), the order would probably be DP1, GRD2, and 40D. The more practical answer is I would bring both the GRD2 and DP1, and also pack the 40D and lenses, if there was room in the bag. If I could bring my lightweight tripod, that would help tilt the choice to the DP1 over the GRD2, though it would pain me to leave the GRD2 behind (can I hide it in a shoe?).
:ROTFL: re the shoe!

other than the fact that i don't have the 40D, i have to agree with David. there's a part of me, though, that still leans towards the GRDII.... i think if you all are allowed your big cams with multiple lens, we should be allowed are two itty bitty ones :p

Lili

:ROTFL: re the shoe!

other than the fact that i don't have the 40D, i have to agree with David. there's a part of me, though, that still leans towards the GRDII.... i think if you all are allowed your big cams with multiple lens, we should be allowed are two itty bitty ones :p
Actually I never mentioned a size or weight limit, just saying if you had five minutes to pack for this long trip which camera(s) would you take.
:)

naoip

Excellent choices, both of them.
Excellent Cameras too naoip ^_^
Hehe i fibbed a little there,i spied the Gr1v in my local shop and put a deposit on it ,pick it up Monday £150 seemed a steal..So i'm posting as if its mine :D

Will

GRD2, but I would make sure I had enough on my CC to get an M8 somewhere on my travels!

P

Prognathous

I'll just grab my pouch, as it already contains what I consider as the "essentials" for carry-everywhere gear:

- Ricoh GX8 + 22mm adapter lens + spirit level + cable release
- Fuji F31
- Minolta TR-1 mini-tripod

That's it. My DSLR's would stay at home for this trip.

Prog.

Last edited: