The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD-2 firmware update 2.01 is available

scott kirkpatrick

This was withdrawn for about a week because of a problem with support for a Sigma flash (which I don't have). Now it's back. It offers four usability improvements, two of which I could easily understand. If you don't like the green light glowing from the power button, you can turn that off. Also if you zoom in on a frame displayed on the LCD and want to compare with an adjacent frame, now the zoom stays on. And there are more buttons that you can zoom with.

Makes you wonder why Leica has such a difficult time adding options in firmware that at least some users think might increase usability of the M8, doesn't it?

scott

cam

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

major kudos to Ricoh for both! that damned green light has stopped me from taking pics at the opera and i love that you'll now be able to compare in zoom (i'm often doing this one-handed in rehab).

now if only they'd turn off NR in JPEG....

V

VladimirV

now if only they'd turn off NR in JPEG....
From my observations this has been improved a bit although still not turned off completely. But I can actually use a jpg straight out of the camera now and also check focus on the LCD in playback mode.

T

tkmloh

Hi scott,
Thank you for the update. I'm new here. By the way, i noticed i couldn't view the iso settings for the playback files in-camera when iso settings is set to either auto or auto-high. It is displayed only if the iso settings are set fixed. i.e iso100, iso 200 etc. When auto or quto-high iso is set, playback does not review any info on iso for shots taken. Anyone could verify this?
Cheerio!

E

ellemand

Hi tkmloh.

That's right - I never use autosettings, but I gave it a try - and you are right, it does not show in playbackmode.
By the way - I have just downloaded and upgraded to vers. 2.01 - it works perfect (I don't have a Sigma flash, so I don't know about that feature.

Cheers
Ellemand.

Last edited:
T

tkmloh

Hi tkmloh.

That's right - I never use autosettings, but I gave it a try - and you are right, it does not show in playbackmode.
By the way - I have just downloaded and upgraded to vers. 2.01 - it works perfect (I don't have a Sigma flash, so I don't know about that feature.

Cheers
Ellemand.
Hi Ellemand,
Thank you for the response. I always thought auto-high iso settings would be useful in difficult shooting conditions. Anyways, i hope the next firmware would resolve this. Shouldn't the display show the iso for the shot taken under auto or auto-high iso settings as opposed to fixed iso, which we would have known and selected manually in the first place? Thanks anyways...
Cheerio!

V

VladimirV

I think the reason behind this is that Ricoh has nice icons for the ISO display but this only works with known settings such as ISO 100 and not ISO 162 since the icon is not dynamic. This is the same in all Ricoh cameras that I know.

T

tkmloh

I think the reason behind this is that Ricoh has nice icons for the ISO display but this only works with known settings such as ISO 100 and not ISO 162 since the icon is not dynamic. This is the same in all Ricoh cameras that I know.
Hi Vladimir,
Thank you for your response. In terms of "nice icons vs user-friendliness", i would have preferred the latter. Don't you think so?
Cheerio!

V

VladimirV

Yes, it would've been better indeed to skip the nice icons and rather have the correct information there. No idea why Ricoh chose to do it like this.